Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Accepted to UCLA...in shock...already accepted my offer. 

Didn't see this at first! Congrats! What a great department. You must be thrilled :)

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here, and I am claiming the UCSB acceptance. I wasn't previously notified that I was placed on a "wait list", but given the time that I was offered admission it seems that UCSB uses a rolling admissions process based off of an internal wait-list. But I'm not sure. Anyways, I'm pretty stoked, and It is likely that I will accept the offer.

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here, and I am claiming the UCSB acceptance. I wasn't previously notified that I was placed on a "wait list", but given the time that I was offered admission it seems that UCSB uses a rolling admissions process based off of an internal wait-list. But I'm not sure. Anyways, I'm pretty stoked, and It is likely that I will accept the offer.

Congrats! I visited this past weekend and enjoyed my time there. 

I am extraordinarily sorry if this is the wrong thread... I have searched for the right thread but nowhere seems quite appropriate for my question.

There is a particular dilemma I am facing: I recently received an email from a professor offering funding at a school from whom I have not been able to get word as to my acceptance or rejection. Do I count this as an acceptance?? I am just unsure what to think of this, and hopefully you all can give me a better understanding... I was told that all applicants have already been notified of their admitted, rejected, or wait-listed status, but I never received word (I live away from home but neither address has received anything in the mail, and my email has been utterly devoid of any contact save what I initiated and save this latest communication). When I tried to contact the person in the philosophy department (listed as the contact on the department page), she merely said that she can only safely tell me I am wait-listed until the Admissions Office gives more word. I have not received further communication from her or from the Admissions Office; the only communication since then was the email informing me of the offer.

I have already accepted another offer, so I assume and grant that this should not be a concern or anything of mine. However, I guess for my own sense of dignity (if such a thing exists), I want to know how I stand with the school before sending an email along the lines of a decline when I might in fact have only been waitlisted. (I feel safe in assuming I have not been out-rightly rejected at this point....) I just want to have a sense of what is going on in this situation...  :unsure:

In happier, more easily understood news, I was accepted to Purdue's Ph.D. program with a TA-ship which I plan to turn down in favor of a fellowship they recently offered me that will give me later opportunities to teach and gain that experience! :) I am blissful in the wonder at being able to attend such a wonderful school! The faculty are fantastic in their scholastic work, and I have been pleased at meeting those I have had the pleasure of meeting and look forward to those I have yet to meet!  :D This whole process has been a roller coaster, but I am certainly excited for the future!!!

I am extraordinarily sorry if this is the wrong thread... I have searched for the right thread but nowhere seems quite appropriate for my question.

There is a particular dilemma I am facing: I recently received an email from a professor offering funding at a school from whom I have not been able to get word as to my acceptance or rejection. Do I count this as an acceptance?? I am just unsure what to think of this, and hopefully you all can give me a better understanding... I was told that all applicants have already been notified of their admitted, rejected, or wait-listed status, but I never received word (I live away from home but neither address has received anything in the mail, and my email has been utterly devoid of any contact save what I initiated and save this latest communication). When I tried to contact the person in the philosophy department (listed as the contact on the department page), she merely said that she can only safely tell me I am wait-listed until the Admissions Office gives more word. I have not received further communication from her or from the Admissions Office; the only communication since then was the email informing me of the offer.

I have already accepted another offer, so I assume and grant that this should not be a concern or anything of mine. However, I guess for my own sense of dignity (if such a thing exists), I want to know how I stand with the school before sending an email along the lines of a decline when I might in fact have only been waitlisted. (I feel safe in assuming I have not been out-rightly rejected at this point....) I just want to have a sense of what is going on in this situation...  :unsure:

In happier, more easily understood news, I was accepted to Purdue's Ph.D. program with a TA-ship which I plan to turn down in favor of a fellowship they recently offered me that will give me later opportunities to teach and gain that experience! :) I am blissful in the wonder at being able to attend such a wonderful school! The faculty are fantastic in their scholastic work, and I have been pleased at meeting those I have had the pleasure of meeting and look forward to those I have yet to meet!  :D This whole process has been a roller coaster, but I am certainly excited for the future!!!

I feel inclined to say that if a professor in the department contacted you to offer funding, then you've been accepted. Have you tried to contact this professor directly since receiving the offer of financial assistance? It seems to me that that would be the best course of action in terms of clearing up any confusion. 

Also... congrats on Purdue. I can't fully express how jealous I am of anyone and everyone who will be attending Purdue in the Fall...

I feel inclined to say that if a professor in the department contacted you to offer funding, then you've been accepted. Have you tried to contact this professor directly since receiving the offer of financial assistance? It seems to me that that would be the best course of action in terms of clearing up any confusion. 

Also... congrats on Purdue. I can't fully express how jealous I am of anyone and everyone who will be attending Purdue in the Fall...

I guess that would have been the easiest course of action. I have become a little skittish when contacting professors from my other options... The fear of accidentally burning bridges when I have no intention of causing problems is a bit nerve-wracking, especially since philosophers need to stick together! :)

It would certainly have been nice to have had another friend at Purdue, but LSU is a good school! I have a friend who attended there. Not for philosophy granted, but you can certainly make the most of your time to have the best one possible!  ^_^

Out of sheer curiousity--I have no horse in this race--is anyone from this thread going to Princeton? I'm just curious! I don't rememeber as many postings about it as some other top 10 schools. It was my dream school though...

"Princeton" and "Pennsylvania" both start with a "p". I'd say you're up to something….

Anyone want to claim the Iowa acceptance that is posted on the results page?

A friend of mine let me know that they got into Iowa off the wait list yesterday, so my guess is he/she posted that one. 

I just got an email saying I will receive a funded offer from UW-Milwaukee! I had been on the wait list for funding...so glad the wait is over, I'm very excited. (have to discuss the actual logistics of moving, etc. but will most probably be accepting this offer!)

Congratulations!  :)

Also, moving logistics suck.

I just got an email saying I will receive a funded offer from UW-Milwaukee! I had been on the wait list for funding...so glad the wait is over, I'm very excited. (have to discuss the actual logistics of moving, etc. but will most probably be accepting this offer!)

I don't know how far you're moving, but I want to throw out the possibility of getting a POD (or UHaul box, or whatever other alternatives there are). I used one to move cross country and found it to be slightly cheaper and significantly easier than a moving truck.

Congratulations!  :)

Also, moving logistics suck.

Thanks! Looks like we'll be trading places...If i accept, I'll be moving from LA to Milwaukee. (though after UWM i'm hoping to reapply to UCR)

I don't know how far you're moving, but I want to throw out the possibility of getting a POD (or UHaul box, or whatever other alternatives there are). I used one to move cross country and found it to be slightly cheaper and significantly easier than a moving truck.

Whoa..I'd never heard of these! I'll definitely be considering this option...seems like way less of a hassle, too. 

PODs are indeed great. U-Haul has cheaper wooden ones, though that makes them a bit less secure and they can't hold as much. The logistics can be a little tricky sometimes. They aren't always reliable about getting to your destination on-time or getting picked-up on time, so you can risk having an unwatched box of stuff on the street. You should make sure your destination allows them on the street so you know whether to have the moving company hold them at one of their locations (U-Haul does this at least) or whether you can have it delivered to your street. Milwaukee, as it turns out, does not allow PODs on any of their streets.

Edited by Monadology