Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Speaking of top 5, whatever happened to Michigan anyway? A couple of people posted acceptances, but then it went silent...

Excellent question. I highly doubt Michigan has released all its acceptances. I know that some applicants don't post their results on TGC, but you'd think that more than two would post for a given school (esp. one as fine as Michigan).

I hope that UPenn and Indiana announce soon. I bet they will either on Friday or next Monday.

Edited by DHumeDominates

Excellent question. I highly doubt Michigan has released all its acceptances. I know that some applicants don't post their results on TGC, but you'd think that more than two would post for a given school (esp. one as fine as Michigan).

My thoughts exactly. Same goes for NYU. 

I happen to have heard that a pretty great school is going to release tomorrow. Good luck all!

How could you know this? Do you go to the school in question (i.e., are you an undergrad or MA student there)? Anyway, thanks for the info! This is exciting. ... Of course, I'll be rejected, but whatevs. :)

I know MIT is a tad shy of top 5, but please let it be MIT!

I doubt it is MIT, but it seems like MIT has been pretty consistent with their admissions timing (February 21-23), so I would think it's not a terrible guess that it will be around that time this year. 

Can anyone claim any of the UConn acceptances? I've yet to hear anything from them. I saw someone reference (quite a few pages back, now) that they keep a very long wait list. Is this true?

I received an offer from them in the last week of January, which I declined earlier this week. No idea about the wait list though, sorry!

Awesome thread! Thought I might throw in a few things:

(1) Michigan has probably accepted other people besides the ones who posted. One was me (phone call, fellowship offer). Apparently there was a list of people to be called, so there was at least one other acceptance besides my phone acceptance and the email posted here.

(2) I was given a sweet deal by UNC Chapel Hill. I intend to make up my mind by April 3 or so (at the *very* latest), so either UNC or UM (or both) will have an extra offer sometime around then—and maybe some money, too.

(3) A top 20 program (maybe top 10, maybe not) that's not on the east coast will be deciding whom to admit a week from this Friday. I haven't checked to see if Grad Cafe allows for PMs, but if so, I'd say who in private. (Don't want to be de-anonymized.)

Best of luck to everyone who's waiting to hear back, and congrats to those who've gotten in!

(1) Michigan has probably accepted other people besides the ones who posted. One was me (phone call, fellowship offer). Apparently there was a list of people to be called, so there was at least one other acceptance besides my phone acceptance and the email posted here.

Congratulations! Was your status changed on their site?

I agree that they've almost certainly admitted more than the 2 who posted. I kind of suspect that the more personal an offer seems to be (like phone call vs. email) the less likely someone is to post it.

Edited by Table

Anyone have any theories on what happened to Notre Dame? We expected them a week ago!

Nothing has happened. This, it seems to me, is exactly the problem. 

Wish they'd hurry up and send me my rejection notice... jeez...

That means it must be Harvard.

Well, sleeping tonight might be difficult. Good luck to everyone!

Anyone have any theories on what happened to Notre Dame? We expected them a week ago!

Yessss.

(2) I was given a sweet deal by UNC Chapel Hill. I intend to make up my mind by April 3 or so (at the *very* latest), so either UNC or UM (or both) will have an extra offer sometime around then—and maybe some money, too.

(3) A top 20 program (maybe top 10, maybe not) that's not on the east coast will be deciding whom to admit a week from this Friday. I haven't checked to see if Grad Cafe allows for PMs, but if so, I'd say who in private. (Don't want to be de-anonymized.)

Best of luck to everyone who's waiting to hear back, and congrats to those who've gotten in!

Stanford? USC? UCLA? Would love a PM if you can send one. Congrats on Michigan and UNC; those are some great schools!

Congrats to all you people! I still haven't heard anything at all, and it's hard to contain this much longer. But I know a student at one of the schools I applied too (we went to undergrad together) and someone asked him about me apparently, so I have high hopes that I won't be completely shut out!

Seems like lack of contact from Toronto is officially an rejection at this point. This once cuts me deeply; I've known a fair few who have gone through that program and generally am accepted as their equal. Not to mention a great personal desire to attend, and live in, Toronto.

I'm finding rejections hit harder this time with an acceptance in hand than they did prior years. Interesting...

Congrats to all you people! I still haven't heard anything at all, and it's hard to contain this much longer. But I know a student at one of the schools I applied too (we went to undergrad together) and someone asked him about me apparently, so I have high hopes that I won't be completely shut out!

Crud. I know someone at a department to which I applied and s/he does not like me very much at all. 

That's great news!