Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Random comment:

Note that, as we have started to hear good news from programs (acceptances and wait list notifications), Loric has disappeared. ... Interesting. ;)

Don't say the name! It will probably summon him from the depths of Troll-Hell. 

This isn't an acceptance notice, but I just wanted to give the heads up to anybody that applied to the University of Tennessee.  In the past hour or so the status checker has changed from In Review to Decision Made.  Unfortunately, the status checker does not say what that decision actually is.  I would imagine, though, that messages will start rolling out soon.

My professor found a solution to all of my problem. FINALLY!!! We are all going to get admitted to our top programs!
Here is what he sent me:

Just in case you need this, feel free to use it.  

Dear _______________,

Thank you for your letter of February 2014. After careful consideration, I

regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me

an assistantship at your PhD program.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually

large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field

of candidates, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite your university’s outstanding qualifications and previous

experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not

meet my needs at this time. Therefore, I will assume the position of

graduate assistant in your department this August. I look forward to

seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely,

Not sure about the WL, but I've confirmed they're only looking to fill two spots this year. Talk about tiny.

Thanks for the info, philosophe. It is so frustrating to learn that they will take only 2 PhD students this year. They have sent out about 4 or 5 acceptances. So they do not need a waitlist at all. It is pretty safe that 2 out of 5 acceptances will accept the offer. Congrats to your acceptance!!!

Edited by Platonist

This isn't an acceptance notice, but I just wanted to give the heads up to anybody that applied to the University of Tennessee.  In the past hour or so the status checker has changed from In Review to Decision Made.  Unfortunately, the status checker does not say what that decision actually is.  I would imagine, though, that messages will start rolling out soon.

It says beneath there, "Decision Made: A decision on your application has been made and you should be be able to view the decision letter on this checklist within 3 business days of the decision date.  This delay from when the decisions are made by the programs to when the information appears on the checklist is to allow for review by both the department and the Graduate Admissions office.  Please check back after 3 business days from the decision date shown to see the letter."

I guess that means they will have the decisions up by Monday or Tuesday. Makes me nervous.

I think we can assume that. 6 waitlists and 0 acceptances in the Results page seems to imply that they've only gone through the waitlist. However, I think it's weird that they would release the waitlist before their acceptances. Shouldn't they already know who they are accepting if they have already determine the waitlist?

I also think it's weird. Perhaps they'll be calling those who were accepted, and the caller(s) just didn't want to do more work on Friday.

It says beneath there, "Decision Made: A decision on your application has been made and you should be be able to view the decision letter on this checklist within 3 business days of the decision date.  This delay from when the decisions are made by the programs to when the information appears on the checklist is to allow for review by both the department and the Graduate Admissions office.  Please check back after 3 business days from the decision date shown to see the letter."

I guess that means they will have the decisions up by Monday or Tuesday. Makes me nervous.

Right...I saw that, but I wasn't sure if it meant that we wouldn't hear anything back until then (no e-mail?), or if the details would not be posted there officially until after three business days.  I think it might just be wishful thinking, but who knows.

I also think it's weird. Perhaps they'll be calling those who were accepted, and the caller(s) just didn't want to do more work on Friday.

Yeah, that makes sense. I really hope you get accepted, since it looks like you didn't have good luck with your other applications. Good luck!

Yeah, that makes sense. I really hope you get accepted, since it looks like you didn't have good luck with your other applications. Good luck!

Thanks. I think Fordham is my best fit and I always believed it to be my best chance. I did get into Chicago Divinity, though, so not all hope is lost if I don't get into Fordham.

RE: the GRE scores mentioned above...

I just checked 23 pages of accepts and rejects for my top choice school over the past month or two and I was appalled at a lot of the numbers admitted. I'm talking 150s and even poor written. But this was variable by department, since my top choice hasn't sent out phil yet, I don't know how much they follow suit there. I will say that many of the rejects had better GRE scores, while the majority probably had worse. Also, funny that a lot of people with a 3.0 written were shocked and disappointed they didn't get into a top school... ?? LOL, at least I did a little research before I applied.

Edited by PhD applicant

I accepted Arizona's offer. This means I will be turning down an offer at Syracuse, and taking myself off the waitlists of WashU, Indiana, and Missouri. Hopefully this helps some people. Very excited about this, so anyone else that ends up deciding on Arizona should definitely contact me!

On 2/23/2014 at 4:01 PM, MattDest said:

I accepted Arizona's offer. This means I will be turning down an offer at Syracuse, and taking myself off the waitlists of WashU, Indiana, and Missouri. Hopefully this helps some people. Very excited about this, so anyone else that ends up deciding on Arizona should definitely contact me!

Congrats! Best wishes to you at your final place of residence,

I accepted Arizona's offer. This means I will be turning down an offer at Syracuse, and taking myself off the waitlists of Wash U, Indiana, and Missouri. Hopefully this helps some people. Very excited about this, so anyone else that ends up deciding on Arizona should definitely contact me!

MattDest, that is such exciting news! Congratulations!!!! What made you accept so early, especially before you have heard back from all of your schools? Obviously, I am sure you loved the program and whatnot, but how did you remove the doubt that there may be a program which you like more by the end of the admissions season?

I accepted Arizona's offer. This means I will be turning down an offer at Syracuse, and taking myself off the waitlists of Wash U, Indiana, and Missouri. Hopefully this helps some people. Very excited about this, so anyone else that ends up deciding on Arizona should definitely contact me!

Wow there are still schools you haven't heard back from yet! I Congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

MattDest, that is such exciting news! Congratulations!!!! What made you accept so early, especially before you have heard back from all of your schools? Obviously, I am sure you loved the program and whatnot, but how did you remove the doubt that there may be a program which you like more by the end of the admissions season?

Thanks so much. Yes, it is quite early, but I really enjoyed my visit, and have other reasons for preferring the location (family, friends, weather, activities) to other departments that I might possibly get into. 

Maybe I'll hear from Syracuse now! (says the wishful thinker)