Admissions Results

I'm quite disappointed with the financial support of the Minnesota offer.. literally barely half (after bonus sums added) what CMU offered me. For those waiting on Minnesota, I will decline my offer soon.

Edited by probstats

coffeehouse,

I believe all those schools you mentioned are ranked higher than Minnesota overall, as well as in specific subfields (e.g. for statistical machine learning, CMU is clearly the winner). In other sub-disciplines of statistics, MN might be superior though, not totally sure in what if so.

I'm quite disappointed with the financial support of the Minnesota offer.. literally barely half (after bonus sums added) what CMU offered me. For those waiting on Minnesota, I will decline my offer soon.

Don't forget to factor in cost of living. Although Pittsburgh is the cheapest area I've looked at. Also CMU didn't offer me health insurance, so I will have to subtract at least a $1k from their offer for comparisons to other places.

Although out of curiosity it seems that Minneapolis is much more expensive than Pittsburgh see. I'm sure their offer is livable though otherwise why bother.

coffeehouse,

I believe all those schools you mentioned are ranked higher than Minnesota overall, as well as in specific subfields (e.g. for statistical machine learning, CMU is clearly the winner). In other sub-disciplines of statistics, MN might be superior though, not totally sure in what if so.

That low stipend isn't helping either :(

coffeehouse,

Have you got any other offers yet? Minnesota is still an excellent program (top 15, I think?), just slightly below the others you mentioned. I'm sure that if you were to decline their offer, some other people would be very grateful.

As of right now it is my only offer. I am still waiting for 5-6 programs? I believe all are above Minnesota, except maybe Johns Hopkins?

Just got Columbia Biostatistics PhD... Funding information will be available later.

Just got accepted as well. Are you also on the 'waiting list for a fellowship'? I am wondering if I should contact their faculty members to see if there are possible RA-ships.

Edited by littlepiggy

coffeehouse,

Well, if you really prefer these other places to Minnesota, you may as well reach out to all these other schools to see if you're on the waitlist at any of 'em. But Minnesota is still a great, great school. :)

Since acceptances AND funding info were both released for Minnesota and I did not receive any e-mail, I infer that I have either been waitlisted or rejected. That's okay though... I am just hoping to get into at least one program at this point, and I've already been through grad school in math once before, so I do not need a GAC's decision to reassure me of my math/stat skills. :D

Congrats to all who got in!

Edited by Stat Applicant

I've found these polls to be relatively close to the general consensus (however you interpret that) on the quality of stats programs.

http://graduate-school.phds.org/rankings/statistics/rank/basic

-more realistic in that it gives upper and lower bounds for each program's ranking

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/statistics-rankings

-somewhat inconvenient since us news decided to combine stats and biostats in a single poll (note how programs appear twice) and arbitrary since a definite ranking realistically cannot be achieved.

As of right now it is my only offer. I am still waiting for 5-6 programs? I believe all are above Minnesota, except maybe Johns Hopkins?

For biostatistics Hopkins is generally considered to have a stronger department than Minnesota...from what I've gathered, anyway.

Edited by adagietto

Lots of schools have not published results yet.

Out of 11 schools, I have only heard back from one. Of the 10 I have not heard back from, only 2 have accepted anyone yet.

Edited by CauchyProcess

Lots of schools have not published results yet.

Out of 11 schools, I have only heard back from one. Of the 10 I have not heard back from, only 2 have accepted anyone yet.

I am in a similar situation. I'm getting pretty antsy. 

I am in a similar situation. I'm getting pretty antsy.

No kidding. At this point I'm just glad I have an acceptance at all, even if the department which it is from is not as strong in most areas as my undergrad. The mathematics of what we are learning are out there, and do not change based on geographic region. At the end of the day we'll all be able to learn/research what we want, as long as we have the time and funding.

On another note, the one acceptance I have gotten went straight to the "Junk" folder in my email, which is kind of funny given that it's just about one of the most important emails I've gotten in months. So, I would recommend everyone check those.

Edited by CauchyProcess

I think "prestige" matters most if you're interested in getting TT positions at RU/VH schools (very high research universities). If you're fine with ending up as a prof at a mid-tier or less well-known, regional university or college, going to one of the lower ranked PhD programs won't really hurt you. I got my MS at a top 70 math program that was by no means top tier but I still loved it, and there were PhD graduates who got TT jobs at less well-known colleges, like Merrimack College and Endicott College. It is unlikely they would have gotten TT jobs at Harvard or MIT, but they did end up somewhere.

Plus, it seems as though industry cares much less about the distinction between different tiered schools or R1 vs. R2 universities (apart from possibly places like Google that would probably prefer a PhD statistician from Berkeley or Stanford, for instance). In any event, it's good to look at alumni placements to see how well alumni are doing. If the post-graduation placement is good for academia and industry, then I wouldn't worry as much.

So in short, program prestige is nice and all, but it isn't the *most* important thing unless you're really gunning for a TT professorship at an R1 or just below R1 school.

Edited by Stat Applicant

Anyone heard back from biostats at UMich, UCLA, Emory, or UNC? I got a call from a professor at UMich last week, but nothing else after that.

I have heard back from the latter three.  Emory is doing interviews, UCLA seems to slowly sending acceptances, and UNC seems to have made most of their decisions.

Edited by faerare