What to NOT do during interviews/visits

MadtownJacket

I figured it would be helpful to compile some feedback on what to NOT do during interviews as many of us are approaching those within the next few weeks and months.  It seems like you have a good shot of getting into a school if you've got an interview invitation, but like applications, there are still big no-no's that would cause you to leave a weak impression on their minds.

I'm making my list based off of what I learned from undergraduate school and experiences interviewing with potential employers.  I'm also asking for input from those who have been through interviews, regardless of program type, so that others and myself can prepare ourselves for interviews.

Also, some of these (if not all) may make you think "Well duh, why would anyone ever do that?!"  Well, folks, people have done it, and some will continue to do it.

1.  If you know you're interviewing with a specific person(s), don't forget their names.  Also, don't forget the names of the people that you've already talked with at their program.  It gets really awkward when they ask "Oh, you already talked to a student here?  What's her name?" and you can't remember.  Awkward, awkward, awkward.

2.  Don't be late.  I got lucky in getting a job offer from my current employer for being 45 minutes late, but I know for sure that wouldn't be the case at most other places.  If you have to take a cab for your interview, get there thirty minutes early.  If anything, that gives you time to prep while onsite.

3.  For research programs, don't forget to read up on your PI's research.

4.  Don't dress sloppily.  Borrow a friend's outfit if you have to.

5.  Don't speak about controversial/sensitive topics.

6.  Don't talk too much, or talk too little.

7.  Don't forget to introduce yourself.

8.  Don't give weak handshakes.  Work on this with friends, family, coworkers, etc. if you need to.

9.  Don't lie/exaggerate about your accomplishes.

10.  Don't be dull.  I've learned that it helps break the ice by introducing myself before talking about the weather, sports, or something.  I've been told to keep it 10% personal, 90% business.

I'll just copy and paste my response to a similar thread here. It's probably more than a list of what NOT to do, and includes some stuff you should do as well. Hope this helps.

You should be prepared to answer questions similar to:

Why this field of study?

Why our department?

What are your long-term goals?

Do your homework and learn as much about each program as you can. As always, the program websites are the best source of unique information pertaining to each program. Read some of the professors' recent papers. Be prepared to say things like, "I think this department is a good fit for me because ______________ (tie it to something you read on one of the faculty's papers, website, etc)."

In terms of teaching experience, you want to briefly explain what you did and how your experiences shaped your research interests, future goals, and pedagogical strategies you'd like to employ if given the opportunity to teach in years 2-5, for example.

Be prepared to talk in detail about your masters thesis or other research experience. Basically, know your shit. Most faculty members you interview with are not going to ask you theoretical or methodological questions pertaining to their own research or even the broader field. But they might ask you about those things as they pertain to your own research. This is where you get to show them that you know your shit, and take pride in it.

Generally speaking, the department knows that interviews are stressful so they won't throw you a curveball. Although, one or two people might push you a bit during the interview to see if you're the real deal. That's fine. They're most likely trying to see how enthusiastic you are. The one guy who did that to me during the interview weekend ended up being my advisor, haha, and he's the most awesome advisor ever.

Some general advice:

-Dress appropriately. Some programs will tell you what the dress code. You can never go wrong with business casual. You don't want to show up in a suit, but don't wear casual clothes either. Stick to business casual. 

-Most people you meet at the interviews are chill and really want to get to know you.

-You've been invited because they obviously think you're kinda the shit, so don't try hard to impress anybody. Know your work, know what the department specializes in and what the faculty and grad students are up to, and enjoy the process.

-Don't be a jerk. There are always one or two douchebags at these events who think they're way better than the rest. Sadly for them, those guys almost always end up getting rejected. Once again, you're there because everyone thinks you're good enough to be there. Now they want to see whether you think they're a good fit for you. They also want to see what type of person you are. 

-So, don't act like an idiot. Don't pick theoretical fights with people, argue, act too competitive, or uptight. 

-Limit your alcohol if you go out to any social events. By all means, have a beer or two, just don't overdo it because of stress.

-Be cool and try to enjoy every moment. This is the most important point. 

-Respect the graduate students because, surprisingly, they have a say in who ends up in their department as well.

-Be prepared to talk to lots of folks, tell them the same research goals and experiences over and over again, and socialize. Recruitment weekend dinners are a great opportunity to relax and really get to know people. You are also the one interviewing the department, in a way. So, you should actively try to "recruit" the department as well to see if it, and the people in it, are a good fit for you.

Feel free to contact me if you have more questions. 

Edited by cultsoc

I recommend biotechie's recent blog post on this topic:

I'd add:

11. Don't get drunk.

But more importantly:

12. Don't forget to have fun!

Wow, great blog post.  Wish I saw that prior to posting this thread!

Another thing to add:

Don't forget to email your interviewer(s) after the interview thanking them for the opportunity.  I try to do this the night of the interview, but preferably should be done within 24 hours.  Just a short and simple email would suffice.

I had this really embarrassing moment when a POI called me on behalf of the masters portion of a dual program, and I had expected a student might call me to kind of recruit. I didn't recognize his name right away, and asked if he was a student... "Well, no, I'm actually the director of the program." OH, you mean you're the guy I wrote all about in my SOP for both the Ph.D. and Masters program, and who liked me enough to accept me to both programs and then call me to talk to me about my options? 

So, avoid that...

• 3 weeks later...

How would you guys say this advice compares for recruitment events or visits? I've already been accepted to a school and I'm attending the recruitment event. It'll be some presentations and meeting with professors and students. I'm not sure what to wear or how to behave. It seems rather casual and I don't want to be the only shmuck in jeans or the only shmuck in business attire.

How would you guys say this advice compares for recruitment events or visits? I've already been accepted to a school and I'm attending the recruitment event. It'll be some presentations and meeting with professors and students. I'm not sure what to wear or how to behave. It seems rather casual and I don't want to be the only shmuck in jeans or the only shmuck in business attire.

Ask the department about the dress code! My guess is that nice/business casual is fine. E.g. jeans and a nice sweater or buttoned shirt, respectable shoes, perhaps some delicate jewelry. You could bring a jacket with you and put it on or take it off depending on what others are dressed like, if you want to be extra sure you're being appropriate. Appropriateness tends to depend on factors such as field and geography so it's hard to say more without knowing where the school is and what field you are in. Personally I think I wore jeans and a sweater or blouse to most of my open house events and I don't remember standing out in the crowd. It's what people normally wear here (of course, some people dress up more than others on a regular basis, so there is some range of things that are acceptable). I had a jacket in my backpack for the first visit but it would have made me feel over-dressed compared to the others so I never took it out and never wore it for any visit. 

As for behavior, the advice is the same as if this was an interview. Yes, you are already admitted, but still you want to make a good impression because the people you meet will be your future colleagues (even if you end up going to another school). I can tell you that people do remember admitted students who behaved in a strange or unacceptable way during the visits. Don't be that person. 

I definitely agree with fuzzy that the current graduate students will remember strange behaviours from prospective students. Even though you are already admitted, this is your chance to make a "first impression" on all of your future colleagues. It's almost prospective student season for us again and as we prepare for it, we remember and retell stories of "memorable" interactions with prospective visits from years past. For example, [details changed to protect privacy], there was one person that told everyone they already were accepted to and were planning to attend another school, however, they just wanted to go on the visit to our school just for the free food. Obviously, this left a very bad impression as many current students do work very hard to provide a fun and informative visit for the prospective students. 

From the point of view of the current students, we are looking for people who we can see as future colleagues and/or friends. There will be "business-like" meetings (mostly with profs) where you discuss research as well as formal and informal interactions with the students. We'll probably ask you some things like where you're from, what did you study before, what do you study now, who do you want to work with when you get here, where else you are visiting. We'll be able to provide our impressions and thoughts on various profs and it's likely we visited some of the same schools you did so we can share notes too. Useful questions to ask us are stuff like "why did you pick [this school] over the others?" etc.

But also talk with us about non-school things. We're looking for friends too! When meeting with us, I think something like a 50/50 split of personal/research or even a 60% personal / 40% research. Research is a safe/easy topic to introduce yourself with and it helps us know you academically. But when you are having lunch with us or dinner or drinks etc. tell us about yourself! What do you like? TV shows? movies? music? books? sports? We want to get to know you as a person too, maybe even more so than as a researcher.

Thanks both of you! That's great advice. I guess I'll be leaving my banjolele at home... :P

I have some light social anxiety so anything I can do to feel more prepared makes me feel better. I will definitely make sure I have reasonable answers to those questions and ask about the dress code.