GA/RA/TA Stipends

lululuna

Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone had any info on the amounts of stipends for GA's? I know it differs per school, and I have been trying to locate the info on a specific program, without luck. 

What are some amounts, if you do not mind sharing? I am trying to project budgeting for the next year-ish and there is surely a difference between 5k/semester v 20k a semester (once again, dependent on which school/area/etc)

Thanks ahead of time!

L.

I had two, they both worked out to be $10 an hour, but by having two (one for the school formally - making me a state employee, one for a little company the program itself ran so it was "off the records" for hour limits and such..) they were able to pay me more and over the hours-worked-per-week limit that school put on grad students.

It's sounds nutty, trust me, I know, but you asked.

hmm...that does not sound nutty, actually! I have a friend who does the same thing, kind of.

That is not too terrible considering the amount I currently live off as an undergrad!

Thanks again.

L.

This is highly field dependent. 

In Chemistry, stipends range from 22-24k (low end) to 35-40k (high end). The low end is usually TA with low-COL places, high end is more likely research fellowships. 

I'm in the Earth Sciences and I was offered stipends ranging from $15-30k.  I have friends at smaller schools who are unfunded in Earth Science, partly-funded, or "fully-funded" but getting under $10k a year.  It really does vary wildly by school, discipline and program.  

As you say, it varies by the program, school and the area.

In some places, the full funding amount may be lower than in others, but there may be plenty of work opportunities to supplement your income, or to completely cover your room and board costs.

In other places, funding amount may be higher, but the cost of living may be extremely high, thus making this amount insufficient.

You can write to the current Graduates in the programs you are applying to in order to get a sense of the funding and costs situation in these places.