Vent/Cry/Help?!

belle00

Two of my three recommenders have thus far missed 4 deadlines, with two more applications due tomorrow. They all made January 1st. One has submitted everything. The other two have missed everything starting with the second one due on January 4th. Clearly I am beyond the point of asking someone else for references. I've sent the automated requests. They have the materials done, obviously. It's the actual submission of the forms that is not getting completed. These two are also my absolute strongest. I've had great relationships with both throughout my academic and post academic careers. They were both very enthusiastic about helping me out when I asked in October.

I just... I mean. I don't even know what to do. *head. desk. TEARS.* 

This happened to me as well. I suggest calling, as the above poster recommended. If that doesn't work, I would say send them an email. Put the blame on yourself, "I wasn't sure if I gave you the right deadlines, these 4 were last Tuesday, these 2 are tomorrow. Please let me know if are having problems...Thank you so much ..."

This happened to me too.  My one recommender was ignoring ALL of my communication (phone calls, emails, etc).  I eventually went into his office and duck taped a large piece of paper onto his computer that said "I need your letter!" (albeit with nicer phrasing).  It worked.

Thanks for the kind and sympathetic responses! After a final desperate (but sweet) e-mail, they both finally got back to me! One had a computer meltdown, the other is submitting them as I type. The ping of my e-mail keeps going off as hers roll in.

What a relief.