CLASSICS FALL 2014

WannabeClassicist

I am a Classical Archaeologist on the Greek side.  My interests include gender, vase-painting and sculpture.  I have yet to hear from any of the five schools applied to, but I haven't seen anything on the results page from them either. 

So, if I may ask who's looking for PhD or MA programs? How many years of Greek and Latin? Undergrad GPA?

Having lurked I shall come into the light.

I'm after PhDs in Classical Archaeology, although I'm actually interested in the Aegean Bronze Age. I have latin from 8 (16 years) and Greek from 13 (10 years). I'm an international applicant, and did my BA and Masters at Cambridge in the UK, where they don't have a GPA, but I got a 1st Class in my BA and 'High Pass' in my Master's (like a merit etc).

I'm not convinced I'll get anywhere though, as apart from French I have no modern languages, and very limited fieldwork experience (although I have already done a pure research masters so maybe that will count in my favour)>

Another Briton? I'm from Oxford though rather than Cambridge. Bronze Age? Cool. I've worked with the language/tablets from a philological aspect and wrote a few tute essays on various aspects - Dickinson gave a talk at Oxford a while ago actually and it was amazing, but I've never really got into it. Its cool though and I guess Cambridge has the strongest traditional the field...so I'm guessing you're deffo applying to Texas for T. Palaima right?

Also don't worry too much about the languages, there seems to be a slightly different emphasis over there. I was told by a prospective POI that having German, French and Italian didn't mean too much in my favour, simply because they've graduate reading courses and so on. Besides, French is easily the best European language. ;P

Another Briton? I'm from Oxford though rather than Cambridge. Bronze Age? Cool. I've worked with the language/tablets from a philological aspect and wrote a few tute essays on various aspects - Dickinson gave a talk at Oxford a while ago actually and it was amazing, but I've never really got into it. Its cool though and I guess Cambridge has the strongest traditional the field...so I'm guessing you're deffo applying to Texas for T. Palaima right?

Also don't worry too much about the languages, there seems to be a slightly different emphasis over there. I was told by a prospective POI that having German, French and Italian didn't mean too much in my favour, simply because they've graduate reading courses and so on. Besides, French is easily the best European language. ;P

Perhaps. I'm much more of an archaeologist than a philologist, so need to sharpen up on Linear B...I'm interested in politics and ideology in the Late Bronze Age.

You're right - applied to Texas, Cincinnati because of their strengths in that. Also applied to AAMW at Penn and AHMA at Berkeley and the Joukowsky Institute at Brown, although complete lack of fieldwork rather knocks me out for those...I got Cornell and Michigan on the list as well, Toronto and Columbia. I doubt anywhere will be interested, although I may have a chance at Toronto as they apparently have  a bias in favour of Canadians, and I guess that dual nationality has to come in handy somewhere.

I just hope my marks (particularly the fact that at both Ox and Cam only the final year matters) comes across!

We'll see, but expecting straight rejections. I have Oxford Cambridge Sheffield and Nottingham to consider over this side however...

Oh you're ethnically (nationally? what's the term here?) Canadian? Fair enough, a friend of mine was saying something similar about Toronto and though she got an offer in the end I think she works in finance now. Good luck.

I had no idea excavation experience is important, I've got some but...obviously for philology it matters not and a lot of it just luck/connections anyway so dw, I'm sure they know that. 

Wow you're certainly...extensive in your applications! I'm applying to Cambridge to on this end...but well I'm sure my app is already in the bin. If I get in anywhere I'll laugh uproariously at the poor mistaken committee who made that oversight. 

Best of luck!