E-Mailing a Professor Before Admissions Decision is Released?

lawster

There's a professor I'm extremely interested in potentially working with, and I was thinking about e-mailing this professor to flag my interests/similar research projects before admissions decisions are released. Basically I would be asking if he's planning on taking students in the near future (a question I should have asked earlier but unfortunately didn't, although I did talk about him in my personal statement).

I understand this might be risky, but is there some unwritten cultural norm that this is bad and could blackball my candidacy?

Political science profs on these boards say you can certainly go for it. Either a) you'll get a cold response (or no response), which doesn't speak highly of the professor/program barring some circumstance that caused them to act that way or B) they'll give you honest, friendly information. I went for it and got the former just yesterday, so be prepared for that possibility. 

I don't have any solid information on this, but I'm with Loric on this one (the sky is falling! pigs are flying! Hell has frozen over!  ;) ). I think it might look bad if you are e-mailing them while the application process is going on. Ideally, this is something you should have done *before* you applied if you were going to do it at all. That said, I can't imagine that doing so would be a huge detriment to your chances either. I wouldn't fret about it either way. 

I made contact with at least one person in each department that I applied to, but I did this before I clicked 'submit.' I suppose I'd agree with Loric and MattD that now it may be a bit too late. But just as a rule of thumb to any one who might read this post in the future: you should absolutely be doing this before you submit your apps. Professors, although they probably receive swaths of emails, will remember the name and the implied interest of a student who sent them a couple emails in the months prior, and whose name they then see in front of them on the desk during the admissions process. 

Interesting idea. I suppose I thought there was some unspoken norm against this. I was in contact with a couple of professors (at schools I applied to) but it was about a paper of mine and not directly about working with them (although it might have been implied).  

i think it depends on the situation. I e-mailed this one professor whom i was already in contact with just to let the prof know that i submitted my application and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I was too concerned that maybe it's against some admission rule where you're not supposed to contact a POI after submission, but i got a friendly response and it was all good. (whether or not i get in is a different question.)

but like everybody else mentioned, i would be cautious. I would certainly NOT e-mail a prof you're not already in contact with. Introduction e-mails should happen before you submit applications.

either way, those e-mails don't necessarily determine the chance you have with schools, so i wouldn't worry about it too much. good luck!!