Cornell-CIPA Accepted Students 2014

Jufarius87

I got my email today, anyone else? I am about 90% confident I will be attending here. :)

Congrats! Perhaps I will be seeing you in the fall. I am a current first-year CIPA fellow, feel free to shoot me any questions.

I got my email today, anyone else? I am about 90% confident I will be attending here. :)

Hey Congrats Jufarius!

I'm a 2014 CIPA MPA applicant too but I still haven't heard anything yet. >_< I was thus wondering if you could share some details like, when did you submit and complete your application? Mine was around mid-December, and I thought according the CIPA website that the decision would be made within three weeks. That's why I was expecting to here something starting from last week and couldn't help checking the inbox every once in a while.

Strangely, earlier today I got an email which suggested it was sent both from and to the CIPA Graduate Field Assistant Jennifer herself. The email was about the new post of CIPA's admission blog, and I had no idea why that email was in my inbox. Maybe it was just a system error?

Anyway, I'd like to send my congrats again and would appreciate it much if you could share more details regarding the application dates as well as funding and stuff. :)

Have a nice day!

Edited by nickliao

Hey Nick!

I submitted December 10.

I read the three week reply date as well, but I *believe* they said it could take up to six during busy parts of the admissions cycle. Early January is busy because that's when they start tackling all the apps that were completed before winter break.

I received that email as well, if you use gmail/yahoo/etc I recommend looking through your spam to make sure an admit message wasn't sent there, as I've had problems with gmail sorting some school messages into spam (usually the ones I want! :/ ).

At this point they have only asked if I would like to be considered for funding. I replied that I would and offered to give them any income/aid data they needed to complete their decision. On the results section of grad café the standard offer looks to be about 25k per year.

Best of Luck!

Hey,

Congratulations! Could you please share what your background is, and also what your GRE score was? Also, how was the video interview? 

Thanks,

a.

Hey,

Congratulations! Could you please share what your background is, and also what your GRE score was? Also, how was the video interview? 

Thanks,

a.

Yes, please.

I'm very interested in CIPA for Fall '15 and it would be helpful for me to see what stats/profiles everyone is getting in with.

Good idea to post info for those still waiting :)

UGPA 3.74/4
Majors: Philosophy and Math
GGPA: 3.5/4
Major: Theology

GRE: V-166/Q-162/W-4.5

Work Experience: Ministry (1 year), Teaching (1 year), Enlisted Military (2 years)

Also, my letter stated that CIPA is *attempting* to have their tuition rate reduced to about 30k per year, which I believe is about a 33% overall cut. Not official yet but the letter said they believed it would pass and that financial aid packages would be sent out after the tuition rate was set.

Also, my letter stated that CIPA is *attempting* to have their tuition rate reduced to about 30k per year, which I believe is about a 33% overall cut. Not official yet but the letter said they believed it would pass and that financial aid packages would be sent out after the tuition rate was set.

Oh that's great. Thanks!

Good idea to post info for those still waiting :)

UGPA 3.74/4

Majors: Philosophy and Math

GGPA: 3.5/4

Major: Theology

GRE: V-166/Q-162/W-4.5

Work Experience: Ministry (1 year), Teaching (1 year), Enlisted Military (2 years)

Cool. I'm still confused about how rolling admissions work. So do people who have applied earlier have an advantage? How do they decide who they should be giving aid to?

• 4 weeks later...

I got my acceptance a week back. Though strangely in the email, Jennifer only mentioned I got in and said the official letter would be sent soon. No mention of financial Aid. Anyone received a similar unofficial email ? Also do they get back to the accepted students regarding aid a few weeks after the acceptance letter ? I dont think i can afford CIPA without aid 

Hey Jufarius, 

I was wondering if you heard from them regarding the financial aid? Did the email from Jennifer ask you if you wanted to be considered for financial aid? 

Thanks!

Hey Nick!

I submitted December 10.

I read the three week reply date as well, but I *believe* they said it could take up to six during busy parts of the admissions cycle. Early January is busy because that's when they start tackling all the apps that were completed before winter break.

I received that email as well, if you use gmail/yahoo/etc I recommend looking through your spam to make sure an admit message wasn't sent there, as I've had problems with gmail sorting some school messages into spam (usually the ones I want! :/ ).

At this point they have only asked if I would like to be considered for funding. I replied that I would and offered to give them any income/aid data they needed to complete their decision. On the results section of grad café the standard offer looks to be about 25k per year.

Best of Luck!

I got my acceptance a week back. Though strangely in the email, Jennifer only mentioned I got in and said the official letter would be sent soon. No mention of financial Aid. Anyone received a similar unofficial email ? Also do they get back to the accepted students regarding aid a few weeks after the acceptance letter ? I dont think i can afford CIPA without aid 

Hey Brazen, 

I got exactly the same response from Jennifer. 

For all of you that are wondering: 

- Yes, CIPA is formally a part of the college of Human Ecology now (in my view an excellent move. The college is well regarded and has a phd program from which many top notch papers are published regularly). 

- Yes, tuition has been decreased from 47k to 30k (YEEEY!). 

Has anyone heard back on financial aid? Like Brazen, I got an email from Jennifer apologizing in the delay for the formal offer, but not a word on financial aid. A bit worried. Wish they would have clarified on that. 

Status: Accepted, Awarded $15,000 Fellowship renewable for both years

UGPA 3.1/4
Major: Sociology
GRE: V-161/Q-159/W-5.5

Work Experience: 5.5 years total . 1.5 years at Environmental Non-Profit, 4 years government consultant in Environmental Policy.

I recently visited the school so let me tell you the lowdown. 

I visited last week and was sent my fellowship offer Friday afternoon.  When I talked to Jennifer and Judy earlier, they told me a few important things.

1. The tuition has been reduced to ~$30,000.

2. Since the tuition has been reduced, the financial aid will also be reduced (ie, dont expect $30,000 fellowships with the lower tuition)

3. As of Friday, they had not released any financial aid information, to anyone.  They said that they had an initial list of say ~30 offers that they were waiting on final approval to release.  I can only surmise that I was in the initial list, though I am not certain if other have been notified.

Additionally, I was talking with current fellows, asking whether they were disappointed that the tuition was only now going down.  I was told that basically, from the fellows, it will be the same out of pocket expenses regardless of tuition.  Thus, with a $45,000 annual tuition, the highest level of funding was ~$30,000 ($15,000 out of pocket).  Now, in my situation with a $30,000 annual tuition and a fellowship of $15,000, it remains $15,000 out of pocket.  Basically, if you get the highest level of funding, it will be the same money you need to pony up.  However, if you do not get funding, the program becomes a lot more competitive.

The reason tuition is being lowered is that the program is moving into the School of Human Ecology (the Department of Policy Analysis and Management).  This reduction in cost will come at the expense of some of the freedom that CIPA offers to create their own curriculum.  Basically, over time, there will be more core required classes.  However, in the meantime, the freedom remains, and the price is lowered.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I can let you know if I know anything else.

Overall impression is that this is an attractive program, even more so now that the tuition is lowered and I received funding.  Strongly considering it.

I got a similar email and 10 days later I got the official letter with the financial aid they're offering me

Still waiting for the result. I checked result form this morning and Cornell seems to send to international applicants already. So stressed >.< 

According to online status my application was finished (including video and phone interview) in mid Feb. did you you guys finish much earlier? 

• 2 weeks later...

what is your background in terms of GPA, GRE Score and work experience. i taught the standard financial aid package is 15K instead of 5K. please clarify. thank you

As part of the move to join the College of Human Ecology, CIPA recently lowered its tuition by about $10k. To balance this out, the fellowship award amounts were also lowered.

Edited by rdt425