SLP Video Interview at Monmouth University

I have a question regarding the video interview that no one can really answer. 

The SLP program at Monmouth requires the submission of a video interview. At the open house I received a powerpoint that said that I would be able to listen to the prerecorded question, prepare and then record. After opening the link for the video interview, the instructions state that the video recording begins immediately after the question. Do I get to prepare the question? Or do I immediately have to record? 

I called the Admissions Office and they didn't know. I called the director of the program and she wasn't sure. She said that this is new process. Has anyone done it already that can tell me what to expect?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there!

To those of you that applied to Monmouth I have a question. Do most of you have a BA in Speech or a lot of pre-reqs done? I wanted to apply there but got the idea that they prefer in-field applicants which I'm not so I stopped myself. Also been out of school for a while. Just curious though if most applicants are in fact Speech undergrads??

Hey there!

To those of you that applied to Monmouth I have a question. Do most of you have a BA in Speech or a lot of pre-reqs done? I wanted to apply there but got the idea that they prefer in-field applicants which I'm not so I stopped myself. Also been out of school for a while. Just curious though if most applicants are in fact Speech undergrads??

Hey!

I applied to Monmouth and I graduated with a psychology degree; the school I went to didn't offer a BA in speech. I did do a lot of volunteer work in speech and I'm hoping my experiences balances that out for me. I would still apply because there could be a shot that you have something that's makes you unique and stand out! But if you do, do it soon the deadlines almost here!!

Hey there!

I'll have a BS in Speech. They said that if you're applying for Summer 2014 you do not have to have pre-reqs done but if you apply for Summer 2015 then you do.

I've been seriously putting off doing this video response question, I really have no idea how we could possibly prepare for it!

I put it off for a few weeks too. At the open house, we were told that we would be able to hear the question and have a few moments to prepare. As it turns out, you must record your response immediately after hearing the question. It will begin automatically. As soon as I read that in the instructions, it made me very anxious, which was definitely noticeable in my response. I nervously spewed out the first valid answer that came to my mind. It really wasn't a good reflection of my actual interview skills. I hope that the other aspects of my application outweigh the interview aspect.

With that being said, it is not my intention to make you nervous. Just be aware that you will need to respond immediately, remember to relax, and take a few seconds to think of a good answer even if it's recording. If you can do that, you will be fine. As stated at the open house, the question isn't speech related. You only have one chance to record, so your first take needs to be your best take. Good luck!

I actually just did my video-interview response and I agree with argslp, her advice is sound and if you can remain calm, think about how you want to respond and then go for it, you will do great. Don't try to come up with an answer you think they want to hear, be honest. It was an interesting question, and seeing as you have no time to prepare and must jump right into answering it will give you an edge if you pause and use the 2 minutes they give you sufficiently. You don't need the full 2 minutes for your actual response but they give you that time to collect your thoughts.

My video response did not go as planned, and I usually do really well in interviews, but I'm sure they will be fair about analyzing the responses. Just do your best and I am sure you'll be great!

Also, I am currently completing my BA in Liberal Arts, minoring in Psychology and Speech- I took speech pre-reqs and hopefully that will be sufficient!

Good luck to everyone, and I wish you much success in your future endeavors. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so relieved to hear that others had similar experiences with the video interview.  While recording my response, I was barely breathing I was so nervous.  I was really beating myself up afterwards because I felt like I could have done better.  Oh well, what are you going to do.  Now it is time for the big wait to see if we are accepted or not.  Fingers crosed!  Good luck everyone!

Edited by mk071507

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have a question about Monmouth. I know that Monmouth isn't yet accredited by ASHA but it's expected to be accredited by the summer. Do you guys know how sure their accreditation is? I'm especially interested in Monmouth for its location, but I don't know how much of a risk it would be to go there on the chance that the program isn't accredited.

Hi guys,

I have a question about Monmouth. I know that Monmouth isn't yet accredited by ASHA but it's expected to be accredited by the summer. Do you guys know how sure their accreditation is? I'm especially interested in Monmouth for its location, but I don't know how much of a risk it would be to go there on the chance that the program isn't accredited.

They received their accreditation! Monmouth sent out a letter in the mail (in December or January, if I remember correctly) stating this information.