Boston College MSW Fall 2014 applicants!

sweetpiepear

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boston College doesn't begin reviewing completed applications until January:

When and how can I expect to hear back from the GSSW?
Review of completed applications will begin in January and notification (by mail) of decisions will begin in late January/early February. Decisions are typically made within three to six weeks of submission of all required documents, once our review process begins in January.

http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/schools/gssw/admission/faqs.html

And since the application deadline for Advanced Standing was last week, Jan 15th, chances are they're just starting to review applications.  If you completed your application prior to the Jan 15th deadline, expect about 3-5 weeks until you hear from BC.

Tell me about it rhey!  My application was completed in late December as well, but apparently they don't start reviewing completed applications until January and they start with those applying for advanced standing.  What probably is killing me the most is I literally live within walking distance of BC so I wish I could just walk up to the admissions office and save them the time of mailing a decision letter lol

I applied to BC in late December, I'm dying to hear back!! What's with them only notifying by US Mail??

I agree! I know in years past the earliest they've let applicants know of their status is the first few days of February, but it could be as late as the end of March. I see we've applied to four of the same schools, good luck!!

Just got my acceptance email from BC as well today!! :)  I'm so excited!!!!  They mail out official acceptance letters shortly thereafter, but apparently send emails to notify those who got accepted.  Cannot wait to start this journey this Fall :)

If anyone is interested in applying to Boston College's GSSW and would like some assistance with their personal statement, please don't hesitate to contact me.  Looking forward to hopefully see most of you in the Fall! :)  Good luck to everyone who's getting ready to apply to Boston College or has already applied.  It's one of the best MSW programs in the nation!

I'm doing clinical with a concentration in health & mental health.  Perhaps we'll see eachother at orientation later this year (assuming you decide to attend) and at the very least we'll be taking the same set of classes in the Fall 2014 semester.  Are you still debating whether or not to go part-time?  Because, if I'm not mistaken, you can make the switch from full-time to part-time but not the other way around (e.g., if you wanted to change your mind afterword).  Now I forgot to ask you where BC ranks in terms of the three schools you applied to?

BC is my first choice. BU was my second until my coworker told me how "macro" they are. Simmons is very clinical, and they require more field education hours. I also like their trauma concentration. However, one thing I don't like about Simmons is that they seem a bit unorganized because they messed up one of my intern's field education placement, and they also lost up my recommendations. I think I chose BC already deep down even without hearing from the other two. But depending on how much each school gives me, I may go to a school that I will end up with less debt! I am going to try doing full-time for one semester to see how much I can handle. Because I have friends that are in BC already, they are willing to share their syllabus with me. I am going to start reading the required books/materials as soon as I accept the offer from BC. Good luck and let us know when you get the letter in the mail! I may get it before you but they can also be mailing everything on the same day due to the snow storm on Wednesday.

I just a received an email last week letting me know that I have been accepted into Boston College. They said a formal letter will be mailed out soon. Has anyone received their formal acceptance letter yet? Thanks! 

I just a received an email last week letting me know that I have been accepted into Boston College. They said a formal letter will be mailed out soon. Has anyone received their formal acceptance letter yet? Thanks! 

Congrats! I am still waiting for the letter too!

Congrats rhey!  As for your latest question icelestial, I can at least tell you what my stats/credentials are:

1.  B.A. in Psychology with a Minor in Sociology

2.  Graduated Summa Cum Laude with a 3.83 GPA

3.  Was the Veterans Representative for the Student Advisory Board for the President of the University I attended

4.  Interned with an intensive case manager (MSW) my last semester of Undergrad

5.  Have been working as a Psychology Research Assistant for the past 1 1/2 yrs examining postdeployment psychosocial risk and resilience factors among Veterans

6.  Have spent the past 9 months volunteering as a Job Search Mentor here at the VA hospital assisting local Veterans with job-placement & educational "counseling" (including resume writing, etc.) and my volunteering supervisor has a PhD, LICSW and is a BC alumni

I also had the opportunity to visit with the Director of Admissions, attended an informational session last year, and met with a faculty member who I'd like to collaborate with (mentioned this in my personal statement).

All this to say BC (and most MSW programs in general) look at the bigger picture of "who you are" which includes not only your academic achievements, but also any volunteering & professional experience that's related to the field of social work.  Icelestial if you're worried about the status of your application, if you haven't heard back from BC by the middle of next week, I'd give them a call.  You might want to check online to see if there are any pending or missing documents.

As for the official letters, I checked my application status last night and noticed there was a document uploaded onto my porfolio dated 2/11 labeled "BC_GSSW_CORR".  I have a feeling this is the official letter and if so it should be arriving in the mail very soon.

Edited by nightwolf1129

All this to say BC (and most MSW programs in general) look at the bigger picture of "who you are" which includes not only your academic achievements, but also any volunteering & professional experience that's related to the field of social work.  Icelestial if you're worried about the status of your application, if you haven't heard back from BC by the middle of next week, I'd give them a call.  You might want to check online to see if there are any pending or missing documents.

Thanks nightwolf1129!! you do deserve to get in, look at you stats!!!! you are great!!!!!!!!!

I can share my stats a bit:  (1) BA in psychology 

(2) Cumulative GPA: 3.19, did really bad first two years of college, last 60 credits: 3.64

(3) 1 and 1/2 year volunteer experience working with racial families, children, parents, and elderlies. 

(4) President in a student organization and founder of a student organization

(5) Research assistant in Nicaraguan deaf individuals, deaf culture and sign language 

(6) invited to speak in a CT radio station about the circumstances deaf nicaraguans are in 

I think my GPA would hurt me a lot if any, and BU probably looked at my transcript and instantly decided to cut me off to wait list! so my hope is that BC can look at my whole package! 

Thank you for your input nightwolf! 

Edited by icelestial

You are right, nightwolf1129. I can see the same document, and mine is dated on 2/10. I think that should be the letter. =D

Icelestial, my impression with bc is that they care about your community involvement than your academic performance.(just my opinions though...) I have a friend that got in with a 3.30 but she was very involved in her community. She also got a huge amount of scholarship. As for me, I have a 3.84 and many years of volunteering, interning, and work experience in the field of victim advocacy and domestic violence with children and families. If you have demonstrated your commitment to social justice as well, that should be a plus. My experience with the admission office was very pleasant. They are friendly and nice. I don't think that would hurt your application if you call and ask politely. :-)

Edited by sweetpiepear

You are right, nightwolf1129. I can see the same document, and mine is dated on 2/10. I think that should be the letter. =D

Icelestial, my impression with bc is that they care about your community involvement than your academic performance.(just my opinions though...) I have a friend that got in with a 3.30 but she was very involved in her community. She also got a huge amount of scholarship. As for me, I have a 3.84 and many years of volunteering, interning, and work experience in the field of victim advocacy and domestic violence with children and families. If you have demonstrated your commitment to social justice as well, that should be a plus. My experience with the admission office was very pleasant. They are friendly and nice. I don't think that would hurt your application if you call and ask politely. :-)