If I've learned anything this interview season, it's that...

aba1984

If I've learned anything this interview season, it's that...the words "research fit" are no cliche.

What I wanted in my SOP is exactly the kind of schools I was invited to. I wrote about biomedical research and was invited to schools with strong medical schools with high rankings very early in the process, schools I thought would laugh when they saw my application. I didn't talk about academia and wasn't invited to the more classically academic schools with lower rankings that I was sure I was going to get into.

If I've learned anything this interview season, it's that... you don't need to read papers by people you're going to interview with. Just be able to ask smart questions.

For interviews I wasn't sure how much background knowledge I had to have for the PIs I'd be talking with. For most of them, I was interested in their research anyways, so I didn't mind reading up on them (on the programs website, and maybe briefly skim a few abstracts of theirs). But 99% of the time, your interviewers are going to be telling you (quite enthusiastically) about their current projects, and you'll need to quickly think of smart questions to ask them. If you can't come up with immediate questions, I've found that it's best to reiterate what they said to you in a different way, as if you're clarifying a point.

Good luck at interviews everyone!

Edited by BostonBio153

If I've learned anything this interview season, it's that...umbrella programs are more open to non-traditional student applicants and those that have shown progress during "time off".

I've been out of undergrad for 5 years (making me slightly older than the average applicant I think) and have "uped" my CV tremendously over that timeframe including: national presentations, a master's degree with an outstanding GPA, master's thesis, a small book chapter, training on many different experimental platforms, great relationships with my LORs and clinical lab work. I would never have even been looked at a second time if I applied out of undergrad with no research experience and a poor GPA. Showing I was serious about my "time off" I think helped, however if you take time off and don't show improvement this could be looked upon less favorably.

If I've learned anything this interview season, it's that don't let low GRE scores get you down.

I did horrible on the GRE (150/145/2). I don't test well and it takes me a really long time to write. Every assignment I've ever had time to think about, I've gotten an A, but exams are a totally different story for me due to test anxiety.

I thought for sure that I had ruined my chances of getting into grad school by doing so bad on GRE. I didn't want to take it again because I knew I'd probably only do slightly better and frankly I couldn't afford to take it again. 

I have interviews at some stellar schools and I'm confident I'll get in to at least one of them.

Research experience, strong SOP and LOR will carry you a long way. (I have a 3.76 GPA, but not sure how much this really influences the decision.)

If I've learned anything this interview season, it's thatcontact faculty you want to work with.

I only contacted a few POIs around the time I submitted my applications because of advice from a well-meaning but misguided graduate student friend ("Don't bother contacting them unless you get an interview, you'll just annoy them.") I ended up splitting the difference and contacting a few people, and some of them ended up really going to bat for me. I also learned other important information, like that my main POI at one school was going on sabbatical next year and thus not taking students, which made prioritizing interviews a lot easier later when conflicts arose between that school and another.

Yes, it's possible that you'll annoy some disgruntled professor who feels like they get too much email, but more likely you'll either get forgotten/ignored (neutral outcome), or get an advocate/informant (positive outcome).

If I've learned anything this interview season, it's that...I really should've thought about what programs fit me best BEFORE I applied.

As I've gone through the process, I've realized that I like smaller, more umbrella-type programs better with lots of solid faculty options. (Aka, schools that you do not need to know exactly what PI you want to work with when you apply.) Because I was going in blind, I applied to the big programs (Yale/Harvard BBS). I didn't get an interview, and I'm sure it's because my SOP talks about how I wanted to use my first year to figure out what exactly I wanted to study.

So either 1) figure out what you want to research or 2) apply to better-fit schools. When I applied, I was like, "WTF does fit even mean?" I only realized from applying. Woops.

Edited by ERR_Alpha

If I've learned anything this interview season, it's that...I am absolutely terrible with names.

At my first interview, I had a lot of trouble matching names/faces, even of people I'd spoken to, and I suddenly couldn't remember what any of them worked on!  For my second, I'm going to print off a page of faculty photos matched with a quick description of what they do.  If you have as much trouble with this names things as I do, you might want to try this!

If I've learned anything this interview season, it's that...I am absolutely terrible with names.

At my first interview, I had a lot of trouble matching names/faces, even of people I'd spoken to, and I suddenly couldn't remember what any of them worked on!  For my second, I'm going to print off a page of faculty photos matched with a quick description of what they do.  If you have as much trouble with this names things as I do, you might want to try this!

This is a great idea! I did this during my interviews and it really helped a lot when I was preparing. Not only do the pictures bring a face to each name, but it really helped calm my nerves before meeting each PI!

I just did this last week and it worked WONDERS! 

If I've learned anything this interview season, it's that... the interview is just as important for you to make a choice as it is for the professors/program to make a decision.

Edited by Monochrome Spring

If I've learned anything this interview season, it's that...

You should plan to be at your interview location pretty early the day before. Coming in at 3:30 am the day of the interview because of flight delays suuuuuucks.