Senior with low GPA. Am I screwed from any grad schools?

ShawnP720

I'm incredibly stressed out and worried now. I'm applying to a couple of schools for various interests, but hoping to do Professional Counseling or Counseling Psychology.

When I first started college, I didn't get into the University of my choice due to procrastinating. I was at a community college for 4 years barely earning B's due to being lazy and not caring about my classes or taking it seriously, all the while applying to the one and only University. This continued until I took more Psych classes and earning A's. I then applied to a different University and got in and my grades have improved significantly, but my overall GPA is only at 3.14. I am currently in my final semester with 12 hours, in which if I can make an A in each, I will only be at 3.208. 

On top of that, I have to take the GRE in a week and have only started studying for it since yesterday. I have also been having difficulty in determining who I want to get to write my LOR. My choices so far are:

1. The associate professor/coordinator of Masters studies for Psych at my university. I took his research methods class and he told the students that if we could make an A in the class and lab, he would write us one.

2. One of my psychology professors at the community college. The problem with this is I haven't been his student in a couple of years, but I have visited him at his office and we have somewhat of a rapport.

3. My Sociology of Gender professor, with whom I have also established a rapport with. 

4. My sociological theory professor, similar to my gender professor. The concern with both is that they are in different fields.

5. My boss of 3 years who I had a good relationship with.

I would definitely try to finish a master's program first.  Explain why your GPA is low in your personal statement.  As far as LORs, get people who can speak to your academic performance and potential.  Don't include somebody just because you have a good relationship with them.  Although that is important, grad schools want confidence that you will be able to succeed in their program.  Above all else, don't get discouraged! Good luck!

Thanks for both of your recommendations! I am really interested in either providing counseling for students at Universities, or teaching at a community college/university level. 

I do prefer to pursue a Master's, as the few schools for counseling psychology in Texas seem to only offer a doctorates. (University of North Texas and Texas A&M)

Texas State offers a M.A. in professional counseling with an emphasis on community counseling (will later be changed to clinical and mental health counseling), marriage and family counseling, or school counseling. North Texas also has a M.S. for clinical and mental health. I've been making use of the free GRE supplements and looking at the Kaplan book, but it seems overwhelming. I need to decide on the LOR pretty soon, but I think I have a good idea of two from my list (1 and 3).

Also, thanks for your kind words MN111. I really needed that.

No problem.  A tip of advice on the GRE- breathe deeply and remember you got this! I freaked out the first time I took the GRE and it showed on my score.  The second time I took it I did much better because I relaxed.  So don't rush, remember you are a capable, intelligent person, and everything will be okay. I promise!

GRE general really stinks (sorry) but it's not the same for GRE subject.

I'd say whether or not you are about to finish MA/MS you should take it. It's also useful to somehow compensate your GPA (counseling programs are quite competitive - so you need smth around 3.7- 3.8 to feel somewhat safe). And remember Doctorates are sciency - means you must have an idea bout your research interests, not only practical ones..otherwise I'd recommend Psy.D. programs - the problem is - they are rarely sponsored - you'll have to pay

Edited by Psykir

If you are in a rush to study for the GREs, I would recommend checking out the practice tests on the ETS site. I found them surprisingly accurate as far as how I actually scored. Also, rather than cramming, I would take the relaxed approach to getting a good score. I took the exam twice. The first time I did zero studying with light reading leading up to it, and I scored fairly well on the verbal and not so well on the quant. So I retook, studied like crazy, bought GRE books, took a week off of work, and actually did much worse the second time around. I know this is just anecdotal, but the GRE is a timed test, thus, it measures how well you perform under a stressful time constraint. It will be more advantageous to be relaxed, stress free, and comfortable rather than being overly stressed with cramming

I wouldn't be too concerned about your GPA as there isn't much you can do to improve it. Like other users have said, just explain in your personal statement why your GPA is on the low end. You very well might need to retake the GRE, but that's not a huge deal. When you complete applications, you won't need to report all past GRE scores. Your letters of recommendation and professional experience (research, counseling, volunteer, etc.) will carry more weight in the selection process than GPA. Your letters of recommendation should come from whoever you think will provide the most personal, thorough account of who you are, your accomplishments, and why you are an outstanding candidate for xyz program.

My undergrad GPA was a 3.25, but I've received four interview invites to BNS or Neuro. PhD programs thanks to solid GRE scores, strong letters of recommendation, and several years of technician/clinical experience. So it can be done!

I wouldn't be too concerned about your GPA as there isn't much you can do to improve it. Like other users have said, just explain in your personal statement why your GPA is on the low end. You very well might need to retake the GRE, but that's not a huge deal. When you complete applications, you won't need to report all past GRE scores. Your letters of recommendation and professional experience (research, counseling, volunteer, etc.) will carry more weight in the selection process than GPA. Your letters of recommendation should come from whoever you think will provide the most personal, thorough account of who you are, your accomplishments, and why you are an outstanding candidate for xyz program.

My undergrad GPA was a 3.25, but I've received four interview invites to BNS or Neuro. PhD programs thanks to solid GRE scores, strong letters of recommendation, and several years of technician/clinical experience. So it can be done!

Hi! I am a junior student now. Plan on applying for grad school next year. I am very worried that whether I should apply for master or PhD program. I work in two labs but I haven't done any honor thesis things like that. I want to work as a therapist/ practitioner. Could u give me some recommendation? Thanks so much!!!