Post-Bacc after Master's degree?

After looking through this forum as well as studentdoctor, I realize that my situation is a bit different than some of the other posters. I'm hoping to get some advice as to what my next step should be. 

My bachelor's CGPA was abysmal (2.98)- it's the same story as many people- I wasn't sure what I was doing and I was pretty burnt out trying to condense my degree into the shortest time possible to start working in the 'real world'. I applied with my fingers crossed..I just miss the cutoff of 3.0 for the programs but most told me that my masters gpa will also be considered.

Upon graduation, I was accepted into a Master's program (in a health area) and since then, I was lucky enough to get both clinical and research experience- since my current job is in the exact area I am hoping to do a ph.d in. 

To date, I have two first-authored pubs, 1 oral presentation and 1 poster. I am applying for the first time this year to Canadian Universities.  I took my GRES V(167) Q(166) A(5) and subject GRE (760). 

I know it's still early, but I havent had any feedback from the universities yet. I've looked into some non-degree seeking courses and most require application before March. Is it working backwards to do undergrad courses after my master's? If I choose this route, I also have to think about scaling back the hours at my current job as a f/t R.A. 

I guess the big question is, should I fix the undergrad GPA or keep on doing research?

any feedback/opinions would be much appreciated. thank you so much for reading!

Edited by childclinicaltoronto

research > UG GPA

You could also audit or sit in PhD level classes that are in your field, try to get 1 more paper out before you apply (it would be best to apply and get a paper out within the same year) to show the adcom that you're productive (consistency). Some people might disagree with me on this one but it's true, its more impressive than ...someone with a paper published 3 or 4 years ago and haven't published anything since.

Edited by Quantum Buckyball

KEEP DOING RESEARCH!!! (sorry for shouting, but I had too ;) ) There are some post-bac research programs though, that are awesome and you could do after an MA (that's my plan). However, don't go back and fix your undergrad GPA. I think that's even more true if you're doing well in your MA.

research > UG GPA

You could also audit or sit in PhD level classes that are in your field, try to get 1 more paper out before you apply (it would be best to apply and get a paper out within the same year) to show the adcom that you're productive (consistency). Some people might disagree with me on this one but it's true, its more impressive than ...someone with a paper published 3 or 4 years ago and haven't published anything since.

Taking undergrad courses is moving backwards. Do research instead.

KEEP DOING RESEARCH!!! (sorry for shouting, but I had too ;) ) There are some post-bac research programs though, that are awesome and you could do after an MA (that's my plan). However, don't go back and fix your undergrad GPA. I think that's even more true if you're doing well in your MA.

Thank you everyone for giving me feedback! I would like to continue with research however, I am just worried that since I am just shy of the undergrad 3.0 cutoff, my application would not even make it to the POI's desk so that even if I have more pubs, it wouldn't be looked at.

I should have another 1 or 2 pubs out this year and atleast another poster or presentation. Hopefully that will get me accepted somewhere next year. I still haven't heard back for even an interview this year.

I will def look into some ph.d classes or post-bacc research programs. Thanks for the suggestions!! :)

Could you work with one of your PhD POIs? First, maybe they'll be more likely to take you if they love you and already know what you are capable of. (Caveat... some people don't like accepting their own students. Snoop around to make sure your POI is not one of them.) Second, if you're like me, then all of the people you are applying to have done post-docs together, collaborated with each other, know each other fairly well in some way. Because of that an LOR from one of your POIs would be awesome for all of your schools.

Apart from undergrad GPA, your stats are awesome. I would love to have your pubs :). With an MA, shouldn't BA GPA be a bit close to irrelavent anyway (although "it counts")? I second Quantum Buckyball's suggestion about doctoral classes. Are you still an MA student? If so, can you actually take doctoral classes for credit (we could in our program if we groveled).

Edited by randompsychologist