How to know application results?

Platonist

Hi, I want to know how the applicant will be informed of the results of his or her application? Should he or she check his or her online application account frequently to see if the results come out? Or will schools sent notifications (either of acceptance or of rejection ) via email? Thanks. 

The convener of the MA Program in Continental Philosophy at Warwick (who is a member of the department and is responsible for recommending applicants for admission). I think, despite saying that they "recommend" you for admission, the department inevitably makes the choice as to who gets offered admission.

You'll be emailed. A few programs may attempt to phone you first, especially if you made it to their first batch of acceptances.

Your website status is unlikely to ever get updated in a timely manner.

You may also receive rejections in hard copy. I know most of my rejections came via snail mail, but that was some few years ago, so maybe that practice has changed.

I got emails notifying me of acceptances, followed by hard copy contracts, etc.

You may also receive rejections in hard copy. I know most of my rejections came via snail mail, but that was some few years ago, so maybe that practice has changed.

I got emails notifying me of acceptances, followed by hard copy contracts, etc.

From what I've gleaned, a lot of rejections will come in the form of "check our website" emails, and then there will be a rejection letter on the website. 

Not saying that's true for all schools -- I believe a few acceptances may come this way as well, for larger schools with a bigger applicant pool (like Cambridge, etc.), but that's what I noticed from last year's rejection result submissions.

From what I've gleaned, a lot of rejections will come in the form of "check our website" emails, and then there will be a rejection letter on the website. 

Not saying that's true for all schools -- I believe a few acceptances may come this way as well, for larger schools with a bigger applicant pool (like Cambridge, etc.), but that's what I noticed from last year's rejection result submissions.

Ahh, then I guess I'm showing my "some few years" in graduate school...and stand corrected.

Most "official" rejections come several weeks later than acceptances. So if you don't get an acceptance and have good evidence that others have, you may be able to infer your status, pending direct news from the school.

That said, it's not a sure bet, and it seems schools can send multiple rounds of acceptances. Moreover, a late response does not preclude ending up on the waiting list, so don't necessarily lose hope.

Hi Platonist, 

I noticed that you have lots of questions about the admissions process. When I was applying, I found Eric Schwitzgebel's blog very helpful in answering some of the basic and more subtle questions about the process. Here's the link to his guide:

http://schwitzsplintersunderblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/applying-to-phd-programs-in-philosophy.html

It covers everything you can think of relating to the admissions process: whether you should apply, how you can go about applying, how to craft a personal statement/choose a writing sample, and what to expect after you've been accepted.