For my friend: any homo guys going to UCB?

liuaqiang1

I am posting this for my friend who is going to UCB this fall. He is a gay and wants to find a gay roommate since he is scared by discrimination and other potential inconvenience. In my opinion, he is a good person: no bad hobbies and pleasant characters.

If anybody wanna to get contact, please write to him directly:UCBHome@gmail.com. DON'T send message to me pls. Thanks.

Seriously? "For my friend?"

I don't mean to be harsh but Cal is in the Bay Area - put two and two together here.

Tell him to get ahold of the GLBT student group on campus - there's a large one at Cal.

And unless someone is going to school in the South or a religious university like Jerry Falwell's Liberty - I don't really think this is an issue anymore.

And unless someone is going to school in the South or a religious university like Jerry Falwell's Liberty - I don't really think this is an issue anymore.

Just like whether someone is black or Jewish isn't an issue? The question is never "Are there bigots around?", it is "How MANY bigots are around, and how many of them will have a beef with me?"

I second HisRoyalHighness on contacting the GLBT group on campus. He also shouldn't be afraid to try Craiglist in the Bay Area or be afraid to talk about who he is and an ideal roommate on a campus housing board.

Another option is for him to arrive early, sublet for a month and get involved in volunteer activities at Berkeley or in SF (the opportunities abound!) and maybe meet a great roommate.

I think it's hard to communicate just how different (as in how far ahead) San Francisco and the Berkeley campus is from the majority of the U.S. in this regard, even major cities. I'm sure your friend will love UCB. I lived in SF for the past 3.5 years and have several happy homo friends at Berkeley!

Just like whether someone is black or Jewish isn't an issue? The question is never "Are there bigots around?", it is "How MANY bigots are around, and how many of them will have a beef with me?"

I agree.. but still, I found CA to be way ahead in this area. (And Washington, and Hawaii. I can't speak for Oregon, though I do believe they might be more conservative.)

If you move to a city, you generally can find more tolerance for your differences than in a small town. That is a given, and probably has been for awhile now. (That said, in general, I love the West Coast for the tolerance and openness to different ideas that the people there show.)

• 2 weeks later...
What if it is really about his friend? :lol: Strange things happen, you know

I guess it is his friend. But its like a textbook case. No offense meant OP but I really did chuckle out loud when I read the post, or if you did get offended, wasn't me laughing out loud, was my friend ;).