Date of submission makes a difference

Platonist

I saw in this forum that some people regret for not submitting their application earlier. I am among them. Actually I submit my almost every application on the date of deadline! But does it really make a difference to submit an application on early or late dates? As far as I know, most of the programs do NOT review applications on a rolling basis. But I might be wrong. if I am indeed wrong, I would become REALLY worried about my very late submission. No one cannot be later than me, and I would be the last one to be reviewed in the review process. I feels so bad. Please post what you know about this. 

As far as I've heard, it makes no difference whatsoever.  Programs aren't on rolling admission, and I can't imagine admission committees looking at the date and time submitted and factoring that in.

Platonist, I can tell from your posts that you are a bundle of nerves trying to find any reason to be anxious about your applications! You are among like-minded folk here, but let me tell you that by far and away, these little things (how you address someone, an application that just beats the deadline, etc.) are going to pale in comparison to the other parts of your application that will be evaluated. If your applications are submitted, there's no reason to wring your hands over things you could have done. Just hope for the best this year, and keep a mental note of things you can do better next year if it comes to that. 

I really don't think the date of submission makes an impact, especially when a lot of programs say they won't review applications until after the deadline.  Obviously getting it in early may also help you to go over your materials more thoroughly or have more time to relax and not stress...but that would be about the only reason submitting ahead of time is good.

Platonist, I can tell from your posts that you are a bundle of nerves trying to find any reason to be anxious about your applications! You are among like-minded folk here, but let me tell you that by far and away, these little things (how you address someone, an application that just beats the deadline, etc.) are going to pale in comparison to the other parts of your application that will be evaluated. If your applications are submitted, there's no reason to wring your hands over things you could have done. Just hope for the best this year, and keep a mental note of things you can do better next year if it comes to that. 

Well put, Matt. 

Platonist, I take it from your various posts that you are stressed out about the process of admissions. But I can assure you that getting yourself worked up over things like the date you submit your application, the salutation you use in addressing staff/faculty in email, whether you contact faculty before submitting your application and so on is a fool's errand. Why? Because the degree to which these things are relevant to your prospects of admission is about the same as the degree to which your preferred method of cutting a sandwich is relevant to your admission prospects. Which is my colorful way of saying that those things don't matter at all.

(I'm also not sure where you're getting your information from. For example, I've never encountered the worry that not contacting faculty to introduce yourself/ask questions is a problem. Also, from what I can tell, no one here has expressed regret over submitting their applications on the due date. In fact, I saw some posts that expressed regret over submitting applications too early because this has led to a longer waiting period.)

Your thoughts, in my humble opinion, would be better spent elsewhere, like reading some novels or keeping up with world affairs. I also recommend checking out blogs relating to the admissions process--these sites can answer many questions that arise in connection to applying to graduate school for philosophy. And I think they are more reliable sources of information than whatever source you're consulting. 

Also, from what I can tell, no one here has expressed regret over submitting their applications on the due date. I

to be fair, I and a few others expressed regret over submitting our applications close/on the deadlines, but only because we sat there in agony waiting for them to update our files and show that documents had been recieved in time, that they had GRE scores, and to fix any problems before the deadline.

to be fair, I and a few others expressed regret over submitting our applications close/on the deadlines, but only because we sat there in agony waiting for them to update our files and show that documents had been recieved in time, that they had GRE scores, and to fix any problems before the deadline.

Oh, okay. I stand corrected then. 

In fact, I saw some posts that expressed regret over submitting applications too early because this has led to a longer waiting period.)

Read: Me.  

I submitted super early, and when I called to check that my apps were complete in early december (including letters, etc). I was told that I should slow my roll because adcoms wouldn't be looking at it even for weeks and weeks. I don't think it helped, other than to have the peace of mind early. I submitted some in October, November, and early December... and now I've been waiting forever.  :wacko:

Thank you all guys for your posts. I have two comments. (1) Yes, I am becoming stressed out because I am not so sure if I can get into any one school; and I cannot wait another year to apply again and *HAVE TO* go to graduate school *this* year for many reasons. So I am becoming very worried about any tiny thing that might hurt my chances of admission; and (2) there might indeed *some* programs that review applications on a rolling basis, and thus earlier applications would be in a more competitive position. But I do not seem to encounter any such programs. I have applied to about 12 programs, and all of them do not follow a rolling review policy. But your advice makes me feel good. Thanks.