Campus Visits

daykid

Hey All,

Now that the first acceptances have started to come in, I'm sure a number of us will be doing campus visits. I just wanted to start this thread to see who will be visiting where and when, what we are all expecting/hoping to get out of these visits, and whatever other topics may come up.

I'll start. I'll be visting UT Austin at the end of February. I'm still determining the dates. I've never been to Texas before, so I'm really interested in getting a feel for Austin itself. Of course, I'm also psyched to meet the faculty and grad students and to get a feel for the department.

I'm trying to put list together of the questions I want to ask and things I want to be sure to see. Any suggestions are welcome!

First off, the anthropology department at UT recently moved into a new building and the facilities are SUPER nice. I took a tour in December and was thoroughly impressed. I live in the Austin area and really like it. It's not like any other city in Texas. A lot of people refer to it as an island of blue in a sea of red because most people here are very liberal. The median age is about 30 so people are very active both physically and socially. Pretty much every weekend there is some kind of festival, themed 5k run, parade, or other event going on. There's a wide variety of live music every single night. The Mexican martinis are to die for and if you move here you'll be addicted to breakfast tacos within a month (it's a good thing).

South Congress and Rainey Street are both fun places for the over-22 and under-35 crowd. They're both streets full of fun bars and restaurants. Sixth Street is supposedly the Bourbon Street of Austin but it's mostly college kids and tourists getting wasted and stumbling around. If you're looking for some good people watching it's the place to go on Halloween and other party-oriented holidays. The Austin City Limits music festival is alright but South by Southwest is awesome. It's a week and a half long event that takes over most of the city and is centered around new technology (there are a bunch of trade shows and exhibits for new gadgets), movies (a lot of movies premier or have early showings during SXSW), and live music (hundreds of bands play at different venues). Passes are pretty expensive but there are tons of things you can get into for free. Every time I've gone I haven't had any problem finding places with free drinks, food, and music. There are multiple farmers markets that go on throughout the week, compared to the rest of Texas Austinites are really into healthy living. Zilker Park is a fun place to hang out during the 9 months of summer that we get down here. It's situated right on the river and you can rent canoes and kayaks or go stand up paddle boarding or swimming. Adult sports teams are fairly prevalent too. There's even an adult ski ball league. Since this is your first time going to Austin you may want to see the bats at the Congress St. bridge, it's kind of touristy but it's pretty cool.

The cost of living is relatively cheap compared to the rest of the country. Gas, food, and rent is all pretty inexpensive compared to what I've seen in the northeast. One thing that catches people off guard is that we have 8.25% sales tax. However, there is no state income tax. It's a big, sprawling city so it helps to have a car if you live here. I love living in central Texas area. The Hill Country is only about an hour away and full of historic little towns with wineries, breweries, and amazing barbecue. If you like being outside, drinking Mexican martinis, and eating awesome food then I think you'll like it here just fine.

Awesome idea! I have an interview January 31 with a POI that I've already met and interviewed, but here are some good questions that I've asked in the past:

What is funded? Is there funding for conference travel? Is there funding for summer research? What is the stipend? Is that paid out over 8-9 months or 12 months? Is health care covered or does it come out of the stipend? Does that cover the academic school year or 12 months?

Who owns the research, the school or the student? How many students do you have/advise?

For MA/PhD programs: Is there a thesis or a non-thesis? How does this program define "non-thesis?"

Will I have the opportunity to teach? When can I begin teaching? If I bring an NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, will I still be able to teach? (Teaching is very important to me.)

What kind of activities are there for anthropology students? Is there a student group? What do they do? (Travel to conferences? Go to meetings? Screen films? Create cultural awareness? etc.)

A question for graduate students: What do you wish you had known, coming into this program?

The question I always end my interviews with: What book(s) are you reading right now? (It's part of why my stack of unread books is so tall.)

I'll think of more, I'm sure.

Edited by dtpowis

Those are fantastic questions DTPowis.

MPollywog, thank you! That is such great information to have. I've heard such wonderful things about Austin. I may message you at some point to pick your brain a little more!

Some more:

Is there opportunity to study abroad? (It's kind of rare, but some schools do. The school with which I'm interviewing has partnerships with EHESS in Paris and UvA in Amsterdam, and they've already told me that if I want [if I'm admitted, of course], I could spend a semester learning theory at either of those schools.)

Are there opportunities to do interdisciplinary research with other colleges? (Colleges on campus, that is. For example, as a medical anthropology student, can I go propose research to the school of public health, or are they not receptive to interdisciplinary work? At my undergrad school, the anthropology department didn't get along with the biology department, so there was a substantial loss of opportunity for students that wanted to combine the two and be well-rounded.)

Are there opportunities to take courses at other institutions in the area? (I don't know about Austin, but there are some cities [boston, Cleveland, St. Louis, Pittburgh] where there are many universities, and in some places there are consortium agreements that enable students to take courses at those universities if they wish.)

You kind of want to put them in a position where they have to defend their school/program to you. Remember: You're there to scrutinize them as much as they are scrutinizing you. If you made the first cut, you're already in a position to put them on the defensive, and it'll remind them that you're serious and that these are things you care about. My two cents.

I really love your list of questions, they're great - but, for example, if you're applying to the school and then in the interview ask them a question like:

"Is there a thesis or a non-thesis?" - wouldn't that suggest to them that you hadn't done enough research on the school prior to applying?

It seems it's important to keep in mind that you want to come across as someone who has read everything there is to read on the department web site, and has also already asked questions of your POIs.

Great point, Canis! I've definitely also heard it's important to be aware of what's on department website. When I was applying for a job and referred to something they has posted on their website, they were impressed.

About already having asked questions of your POI, I'm traveling to a school for a campus interview next month, but I have never been in touch with anyone there (well, except for the grad dean who invited me for the interview), so I don't really have a POI. I plan to read article by the 4 profs I feel I would have the best fit with, but other than that, I don't think there's much I can do, right?

I really love your list of questions, they're great - but, for example, if you're applying to the school and then in the interview ask them a question like:

"Is there a thesis or a non-thesis?" - wouldn't that suggest to them that you hadn't done enough research on the school prior to applying?

It seems it's important to keep in mind that you want to come across as someone who has read everything there is to read on the department web site, and has also already asked questions of your POIs.

Right. In my case, that information isn't on their website. Clearly, you should do the research first.

I agree. Though, in some cases, the only graduate student handbook that is available is for graduate students in general, not necessarily for those in the program of interest. It's also not unusual for programs to change their protocols and requirements and then neglect to give notice on their websites.

So again, do the research (obviously), but it doesn't hurt to ask questions - even if you think they're dumb.

So, if you have the option to stay in a hotel during your campus visit or to stay with a graduate student, which do you think is best? On the one hand, I would hate to be an imposition on anyone. However, I sort of assumed I would be staying with a grad student and thought that that would be a great way to get to know the program from a student's perspective. I'm torn.

Thoughts?

hmmm. I'm not sure I'd want someone staying with me. Not sure though. I'm really good friends with 2 grad students, one lives with his wife in campus apartments and I think I'd feel out of place. The other, I think Id have to sleep on the couch. I think it would be an imposition personally.  That's just me though. I'm older than most students.

Edited by Forsaken in LA

Hey daykid, is this for an accepted students visit or for an interview? If it were me, I'd be more like to opt to stay with students on an accepted students visit, just to get a better feel for the school and for grad student life there (and I imagine if staying with students if an option, that they have offered to have someone stay and would want to show you around town and such). On an interview however, I think I'd prefer a hotel, so that I could have time to run or read more articles by faculty or just relax and get ready. Just my $0.02.

Basically, I think it amounts to whether you would want/need the extra time you'd have staying in a hotel, or if you'd be okay with maybe not having much time to yourself, but the opportunity to learn more about the school/program.

It'a for an accepted student visit. They haven't given me a whole lot of guidance yet. I picked two sets of dates and they said fine to either and then I was given a form to fill out for reimbursements, where it was mentioned that if I am staying in a hotel, I should tell them so I can get a tax exempt form. I think I just need to call the graduate student coordinator tomorrow and talk it through. When my brother got into his masters program he stayed with other students and they even picked him up at the airport. so, I guess I was expecthing more of that vibe and was surprised that a hotel is even an option.

Yeah, that's why I think it's kind of weird, because I haven't been accepted yet. I'm getting picked up and dropped off at the airport by a grad student, airfare is paid, all meals are paid for, and I'm staying with a grad student that night. The only choice I got was which day I wanted to go.

Any idea how long after interviews schools typically make decisions, or is it all over the place as with everything else? I got the feeling that it could be only about a week, maybe a little more.

I've never been to Texas before, so I'm really interested in getting a feel for Austin itself. 

I've been to Austin twice for work. I loved it. Great funky vibe, lots of good food, music, and hangout spots. I just really enjoyed the time I spent there. I hope you have fun! 

• 3 weeks later...

So I am heading to Syracuse for an accepted student visit. I know, elsewhere there have been conversations about what to wear for interviews. Do the same rules apply for dressing for visits? Academic - wear what you wear to teach? 

I would say yes. Be academic and wear what you would wear to teach. It's like the start of a new career. You want to make a good impression. Speaking of which, I have to learn how to dress like an adult one of these days. Sigh.

Thanks for the reassurance. I say the best way to dress like an adult is to find good 50%+ of clearance sale from The Limited, J Crew… etc. 

So, when I usually teach I dress nicely but perhaps a bit eccentrically. My husband says I look like either an elementary school teacher or used care sales person.

Should I be my normal bright colored and pattern mixing self or should I tone it down? I do get complements on my (crazy) outfits on a fairly regular basis. 

Edited by Jump

I don't think academic has to mean boring.  I've seen a lot of professors get creative with it and still look professional.  I think you can probably pull it off :)

I would like to wear cute kinda vintagey looking stuff that's a little quirky but still professional.  I don't want to totally lose my style.  But I'm not too sure how to do it.