Campus Visits

daykid

I recommend wearing business casual or smart casual since it's the weekend (depends on the activity, I suppose). And you can still have your personal style: a cool scarf, a colorful necklace, flats (or whatever shoes you like to wear) that stand out...

If you've ever been to the AAA's, you'll see that anthropologist aren't too strict about dress code.

I recommend wearing business casual or smart casual since it's the weekend (depends on the activity, I suppose). And you can still have your personal style: a cool scarf, a colorful necklace, flats (or whatever shoes you like to wear) that stand out...

If you've ever been to the AAA's, you'll see that anthropologist aren't too strict about dress code.

I am certain my style cannot be contained in a scarf, necklace, or shoes. I won't be going on the regularly scheduled weekend but during the week. Plus, I'm already in… so I am just going to dress the way I like. 

I would say dress in a way that makes you feel comfortable!

I had a 2-day interview trip earlier this week and I brought a couple options so that I could make up my mind when I got there. I end up going with outfits that one might call more eccentric, but those were the ones that I actually wear in business situations at work and that was definitely the right choice. I felt comfortable and didn't give my clothes a second thought all day. I think I actually would have felt awkward if I had gone with outfits that I never would have worn in really life.

I'm from Texas and I have to say that scarves are never worn. I know that they are professional, and look great but no one wears them. It's too damn hot. Look at the weather. It's Feb., winter is over in Texas, especially Austin. 

Yes, I wouldn't wear one during the late spring and summer in Georgia either, but you know, depends on where you're going.

DigDeep - This is my biggest concern about dressing for grad school/professional stuff.  The weather.  I've lived on the East Coast and Midwest most of my life, so I'm used to being able to wear cardigans and scarves and boots.  I am going to school in California, and I have no idea how to look professional when it's hot outside.

DigDeep - This is my biggest concern about dressing for grad school/professional stuff.  The weather.  I've lived on the East Coast and Midwest most of my life, so I'm used to being able to wear cardigans and scarves and boots.  I am going to school in California, and I have no idea how to look professional when it's hot outside.

Well, living in "Hotlanta", I usually wear dresses or skirts (not short, obviously), flats, sandals, dress pants and khakis are also comfortable. I like to wear a lot necklaces a lot. Maybe capri or ankle pants are also appropriate for grad school (I'm sure they are).

Layers are your friend! You'll probably be spending a fair bit of time indoors with A/C, so you can get away with early fall or springtime East Coast clothes no problem-o (speaking from experience), as long as you have a cardigan or somesuch that's easily removed when going from point A to point B outside. Forever 21, H&M, and similar shops have really nice sleeveless and short-sleeved chiffon shirts that I wear for teaching, and would consider to be appropriate for academic and office settings. You can dress them up easily with nice earrings and a longer necklace; the latter is especially nice if you're worried about the chiffon seeming immodest. Depending on the shirt, a high-waisted skirt might be a nice option, or dark jeans with flats. Cotton dresses that fall about knee-high are also nice with flats or low heels.

Anyone have visits in the Northeast coming up? I have two in March (and OF COURSE the dates had to overlap... Dangit :( ).

I have one in Michigan (so scared of the cold!)