Reputation of MSW programs in Michigan?

ProspectiveMSW

Hey there!  Does anyone have any input on the reputation of different MSW programs in Michigan?  I'm not interested in "rankings" so mcuh as I'm interested in word-of-mouth input on the programs' reputations.

UofM is not an option for me, but input on any other CSWE-accredited MSW programs in Michigan would be greatly appreciated! (I think that includes Grand Valley, MSU, Wayne State, Western, and Eastern.)  Thanks!  :D

Edited by ProspectiveMSW

I have heard that prestige only matters if you're going into the Macro field.

I graduate from Eastern in April, and can say that from the little experience I've had with the social work department (Im a psych/bio major) they are very welcoming and care about you succeeding. From conversations I have had with several social work professors, EMU's program is better suited to someone wanting to work part time during the program, and individuals who had a BSW (although you can apply without having one). I know their concentrations are limited, but I personally think we have a great group of professors. 

Wayne State's program is more practice based (as is Eastern's) than Michigan's or Western's program. Meaning they focus more on what you learn in the field more than social work theories. From my visits to WSU, it is very obvious that they have a passion for working in and around the city of Detroit, so if inner-city social work is something you're interested in I would check them out. They are also close to several hospitals and therefore have quality health social work field placements. Also, Michigan, MSU and Wayne State were just recognized as one of the top tier research colleges in the country, so if you're interested in social work research, I would consider checking out MSU or Wayne State. 

Hey there!  Does anyone have any input on the reputation of different MSW programs in Michigan?  I'm not interested in "rankings" so mcuh as I'm interested in word-of-mouth input on the programs' reputations.

UofM is not an option for me, but input on any other CSWE-accredited MSW programs in Michigan would be greatly appreciated! (I think that includes Grand Valley, MSU, Wayne State, Western, and Eastern.)  Thanks!  :D

I have an undergrad degree from MSU, and took a few social work classes there.  I can't really speak to the specific department, but overall I loved my time at MSU.  The social work school there is respected and from the interactions I had with the professors they were passionate and committed.