Very incompatible writing and verbal scores...should I retake this?

voprosi

Hi everyone,

I've been stalking this thread for a while trying to look for someone in the same situation, but I figured that it might be better to actually start a new thread with my actual scores.

I'm probably going to apply for the next round of applications for a bunch of competitive history PhD programs, so I still have a little bit of time before really working on my SOP and writing sample.

So, here's my dilemma. For verbal, I have a 169, which is the 99th percentile. Here's the catch though: my writing score is 4.5, or 78th percentile. (If it matters at all, my quant scores are about the 97th percentile). I am really happy with my verbal and quantatative scores, but the writing score seems very strange to me. 4.5 isn't a bad score, but it isn't really up to par with my other scores. I consider myself a pretty strong writer, but I'm not too good with time-constraints.

There's really no guarantee that I could do better if I retook the test. And I don't really know if I can put in the effort and maintain the high scores in verbal and quant sections. However, I also don't want to put myself in the "maybe" pile of applications just because of my mediocre writing score.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Do you think I should just retake the GRE to improve my writing score? Or is it not worth the time and money?

I am in almost the exact same position as you, but with even more discrepancy between verbal and writing. I also got a 169 V, but only a 4.0 AW :unsure:. I'm embarrassed about it, but also think that the GRE essays are pretty dumb (and, therefore, didn't spend much of my time preparing for it). I am hoping that my writing samples, written about things that I actually know about and have an interest in, will negate it. It seems super high GRE scores are not top priority for most schools (?) so I am sure a 4.5 won't exclude you right off the bat.

Yeah, I didn't really spend all that time prepping for the writing portion. I know what they were looking for, but I didn't really care too much to actually force myself through practicing writing that kind of essays. I certainly hope the gre scores aren't too important in this regard, although I'm hoping for some validation of this.

Honestly, I believe a 4.5 is fine on the writing section. There is no need to retake the exam.

Since you are applying to PhD History programs, a writing sample would alleviate any worries the admissions committee would have about your writing skills. Some history programs I applied to did not even ask me to list my writing scores and their websites stated a writing sample was a better example of the applicants skill as a writer, not some contrived essay about a silly topic.

Edited by SolarTemple

Thanks for the replies. SolarTemple, thanks for sharing your experiences with me. Yeah, I also think that a writing sample would be a better predictor of my writing abilities than my GRE scores, and it was very reassuring to hear that some didn't even ask you to list your writing scores. And TakeMyCofeeBlack, I will definitely consider asking specific programs about how they weigh GRE writing scores.