Cotsen Institute of Archaeology- UCLA applicants

Daisy123

very cool! and where are your papers going to be accepted- at a presentation? Thats something i have not been able to do, and i would have trouble doing it since i am not affiliated with any institution at the moment- however i a have heard that conferences "call for papers" is one way to go

d

i think you guys should ask...plus i think its good news that we have not heard anything ! , I know exactly what you mean with planning - i need to buy a ticket for BG this summer and i cant do so because i do not know if i will be registering for classes! but if i wait until next month, i probably wont be able to go cuz space fills up FAST

I'm trying to figure out whether I can commit to a trip in November with my mom. If I am not enrolled at UCLA then I can easily go, but if I am enrolled then I need to let my mom know so she can find someone else to go with. At this point I just want to know because, frankly, I'm totally ok with traveling instead of going to school =)

I'm trying to figure out whether I can commit to a trip in November with my mom. If I am not enrolled at UCLA then I can easily go, but if I am enrolled then I need to let my mom know so she can find someone else to go with. At this point I just want to know because, frankly, I'm totally ok with traveling instead of going to school =)

I find myself in a most similar situation as you, as i cannot decide whether to buy plain tickets or not to. 

So is anyone else planning on calling/ emailing to see what is going on with their application? i think i have maxed out my turns :)

Edited by Daisy123

Hey guys, just a heads up that I will be withdrawing my name from the waitlist tomorrow or Monday. I really hope it bumps one of you up!  :)

Thanks, Melian! Congrats again on your acceptances! :D

from what i understood , there are a few people on the list, and as people reject their acceptances, the list is reviewed AGAIN- i am guessing probably by area/ specialty, for it is not a list in order where people are offered a  place based on what place they hold- so it is not a line.

yeah i agree with you- i mean....they must have something in mind with that strategy but for us hopeful wait-ers it makes the chances seem never in favor of you

Hey guys, just a heads up that I will be withdrawing my name from the waitlist tomorrow or Monday. I really hope it bumps one of you up!  :)

Thanks for letting us know! I haven't heard a peep from UCLA at all and I am starting to make other plans. Hopefully giving up your spot will move someone closer to hearing some news! Good luck at whatever school you decide to attend.

Daisy, since I haven't seen any new acceptances at all, I am wondering if they are just waiting till the end of March to sift through everyone again and make some decisions? I've already planned my Fall out at this point and it includes coursework for a different career path (one that pays significantly better but doesn't *quite* make me tingle with excitement like archaeology and history do). It also might include a Euro trip this winter, since I won't be involved in the heavy school work I'd have at UCLA. I don't plan on removing my name from the wait list though, I'm still holding out for the chance to pursue my dream!

Hope some of you at least have had some other offers and we aren't all suffering through this waiting period!

I did not apply to UCLA, but I've been following along because I'm really curious about this waitlist and you all are discussing an aspect to it I've yet to hear about...them slimming it down and making decisions...can someone who is familiar with this process explain it a bit for me?

So I've just re-read the e-mail I received from UCLA regarding being an "alternate". They said that if they were not able to offer a position, I would be notified accordingly in March. As it is almost the end of March and I have not heard anything, should I be hopeful? It seems as if nobody has heard anything. Am I correct?

So I've just re-read the e-mail I received from UCLA regarding being an "alternate". They said that if they were not able to offer a position, I would be notified accordingly in March. As it is almost the end of March and I have not heard anything, should I be hopeful? It seems as if nobody has heard anything. Am I correct?

I hadn't heard anything as of last Friday, when I withdrew my name from the waitlist. They did not even reply to my email! Oh well. Will you try contacting them? I'm crossing my fingers for you (and for all of those on this thread who have been waiting for so long!) 

I hadn't heard anything as of last Friday, when I withdrew my name from the waitlist. They did not even reply to my email! Oh well. Will you try contacting them? I'm crossing my fingers for you (and for all of those on this thread who have been waiting for so long!) 

I'm not sure if I will, I've not had the best luck this season, so I'm in no hurry to find out. I already live in LA so If I get in it wont require much planning.

I was thinking about that " march" deadline too.....i want to contact and ask but i really have maxed out my "not annoying" email cards ....if any other  brave soul wants to inquire, please do so. Thank you Melian for being so considerate. 

Thanks for letting us know! I haven't heard a peep from UCLA at all and I am starting to make other plans. Hopefully giving up your spot will move someone closer to hearing some news! Good luck at whatever school you decide to attend.

Daisy, since I haven't seen any new acceptances at all, I am wondering if they are just waiting till the end of March to sift through everyone again and make some decisions? I've already planned my Fall out at this point and it includes coursework for a different career path (one that pays significantly better but doesn't *quite* make me tingle with excitement like archaeology and history do). It also might include a Euro trip this winter, since I won't be involved in the heavy school work I'd have at UCLA. I don't plan on removing my name from the wait list though, I'm still holding out for the chance to pursue my dream!

Hope some of you at least have had some other offers and we aren't all suffering through this waiting period!

I am happy that you have created a plan that works for you! what does your new path entail?  Is it the museum work we talked about? 

HOld on to chance, a miracle might happen, who knows!

Daisy, I DID get the internship at LACMA that I mentioned, so I will be there starting in May. I will be working with their permanent collection, which does include some cool stuff, doing registration. It should be a good experience and will add to my museum experience should I find an open position somewhere. LACMA has a great reputation and I am looking forward to it. I am hoping to learn a lot about their collection, and how to care for it, while also networking (the key to life, as I have discovered).

If I am not offered a position at UCLA this year then I will probably pursue a teaching credential for special ed. I know, that seems random, but the reality is this: I am not getting any younger, the job market for folks with PhDs isn't getting much better (from what I can tell), and I really wouldn't mind having summers off to spend doing archaeological digs or traveling. I'm holding out some hope that my dream will manifest itself and I will be able to submerged myself in studying the people and histories that I love. I have done the work, submitted the application, and I'm on that wait list, but I've def come to terms with the fact that just because I might not end up in a PhD program doesn't mean I have to stop being involved in the subjects and things that I love! I think I would do well at UCLA and I hope that I am accepted, but as the time ticks by and April approaches I grow less confident (not that I was ever confident to begin with....). I also grow a little more fond of the options I have that don't require a PhD. My life will be full no matter what.

If I am not accepted to UCLA I will also be able to travel this Fall and I am currently fixated on planning this adventure. Silver linings, people, silver fucking linings. 

Daisy, I DID get the internship at LACMA that I mentioned, so I will be there starting in May. I will be working with their permanent collection, which does include some cool stuff, doing registration. It should be a good experience and will add to my museum experience should I find an open position somewhere. LACMA has a great reputation and I am looking forward to it. I am hoping to learn a lot about their collection, and how to care for it, while also networking (the key to life, as I have discovered).

catsrgods, Congrats on the LACMA internship! I love LACMA, how exciting! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on Cotsen. Good Luck!