How do I talk myself out of having to translate my Latin diploma

Brandon263

I just received an email from the department I am applying to asking if I could provide a notarized translation of my Latin diploma. I feel that a large number of US degrees are issues in Latin and the scan of my graduation program with a translation that I provided should be sufficient. What do you guys think? And do you have any suggestions of how I can weasel myself out of having to find a Latin translator in RURAL CHINA?

My diplomas were not issued in latin...I don't go around asking people about this, but I feel like a diploma entirely in Latin (in fact, Latin for anything but honors status) is not something I've ever heard of before, much less the norm. You clearly have access to the internet, so I don't see how your location bears on this at all--send the request to your university, and they will take care of it. Finding a local translator doesn't do you any good since they want a notarized copy (presumably fromt he university itself) which means you need a US licensed notary public to stamp the thing after watching whoever made the translation sign it.

Edited by Usmivka

This was for many years the norm. Most schools have phased out of this (although I kind of wish my diploma were in Latin).

When, from 1500 to 1850? At what point did US schools stop issuing degrees in Latin? I have trouble imagining this being a recent switch. Let me know quickly before I lose myself to googling on the topic.

EDIT: I have evidence of optional latin diplomas from some Canadian universities within the last decade...not a default, but apparently someone can choose to have their diploma printed in latin. The threads discussing this also mentioned having trouble getting a notarized translation. Nothing from Britain...and heresay but no images or statements regarding US institutions. I'll keep digging.

EDIT 2: And Harvard appears to have switched to English in the 60s, Yale in the 80s. BU gives medical and law degrees in latin, but not undergrad degrees.

Edit 3: OK, WUSTL appears to offer some (but not all?) BAs in Latin. I'm going to stop now, but I am really curious if there are any US universities that still confer BA/BSs in latin without a graduate specifically requesting it. Anyone who knows more, please do post. Or help the OPer with their original question, sorry to highjack the thread, but I do think my assumption in my response has been born out (ie, degrees written in latin seem to be very uncommon in the US, and have been for decades).

EDIT 4: A final note for the OPer--the only schools currently or formerly granting latin degrees that I can find post translations directly on their websites.

Edited by Usmivka

I feel that a large number of US degrees are issues in Latin and the scan of my graduation program with a translation that I provided should be sufficient. 

This was for many years the norm. Most schools have phased out of this (although I kind of wish my diploma were in Latin).

Sorry to highjack the thread for a minute but how cool would it be to have a diploma issued in Latin?!? Where can I get my hands on one of these babies. Lame San Diego State and their lame "English" diplomas. 

Back to the point of the discussion and forgive me for my ignorance. Why are you sending a diploma? Isn't that what transcripts are for? 

Back to the point of the discussion and forgive me for my ignorance. Why are you sending a diploma? Isn't that what transcripts are for? 

I think it must be a master's degree of some kind (both since those are slightly less rare than undergrad degrees written in Latin and because, indeed, why else would a diploma be needed?).

Sorry to highjack the thread for a minute but how cool would it be to have a diploma issued in Latin?!? Where can I get my hands on one of these babies. Lame San Diego State and their lame "English" diplomas. 

The department I'm applying to requires both diplomas and transcripts. Since the diploma is in Latin, I provided them with the translation that my college gives in the graduation program but they say it has to be notarized, etc. I'm wondering whether I could make an argument that the transcripts are notarized, and they clearly state: "Degree granted on..." so I should get some waiver of some sort. I really don't know where I can get a notarized Latin transcript in the middle of Gansu...

My diplomas were not issued in latin...I don't go around asking people about this, but I feel like a diploma entirely in Latin (in fact, Latin for anything but honors status) is not something I've ever heard of before, much less the norm. You clearly have access to the internet, so I don't see how your location bears on this at all--send the request to your university, and they will take care of it. Finding a local translator doesn't do you any good since they want a notarized copy (presumably fromt he university itself) which means you need a US licensed notary public to stamp the thing after watching whoever made the translation sign it.

Most colleges that I know give issue their undergrad degrees in Latin...

Vassar, etc.

Seems tricky. I think you could probably argue for an exemption, though I don't know how willing the university would be to work with you on that point.

However, if you were to get your diploma notarized, your first step should be to contact your university. If they release diplomas in Latin, they might also release notarized and translated copies. (From a quick google search, it seems that UPenn and Brown, for example, offer this service.)

Seems tricky. I think you could probably argue for an exemption, though I don't know how willing the university would be to work with you on that point.

However, if you were to get your diploma notarized, your first step should be to contact your university. If they release diplomas in Latin, they might also release notarized and translated copies. (From a quick google search, it seems that UPenn and Brown, for example, offer this service.)

I'll try arguing for an exemption and see how that goes. The university I'm applying to basically contacted me today saying they need a notarized version of the diploma by January 31. I already contacted my college about a notarized, translated copy, but I'm not sure if they provide those and, if they do, whether they'll be able to provide by January 31. :-(

The department I'm applying to requires both diplomas and transcripts. Since the diploma is in Latin, I provided them with the translation that my college gives in the graduation program but they say it has to be notarized, etc. I'm wondering whether I could make an argument that the transcripts are notarized, and they clearly state: "Degree granted on..." so I should get some waiver of some sort. I really don't know where I can get a notarized Latin transcript in the middle of Gansu...

Most colleges that I know give issue their undergrad degrees in Latin...

I already provided advice on how to get a notarized diploma translation. You don't have to be present to get the stamp, and the university will have a licensed notary public in the records/diploma office. Ask for an official hard copy plus print out of the translation to be notarized and mailed directly to the admissions department of the place you are applying. Your location doesn't matter for this problem, and most admission offices can take care of a simple request in a few days, particularly if you let them know the urgency. Similarly, the place you are applying must realize that four days is insufficient to get a new diploma and translation sent, and will most likely accept your current submission conditionally until the new copy arrives--this is an easier request than an exemption.

I'd say of the 4500 colleges in the US, the above is a small and homogenous list (small, private, exclusive, East Coast only). Even most analagous shcools (eg other Ivy's and SLACs) no longer print in Latin. I'll stand by my comments and the hour or so I spent researching the question. Also, if that is most of the colleges you know, you are familiar with a surprising number of  women's only colleges at the expense of, say, any public institution.

Finally, we can provide more specific advice and workarounds if you provide the details in your initial post (eg the deadline).

Edited to take into account posts after 9:30EST

Edited by Usmivka

Thanks for taking the time to respond. In case the title of this thread and my first post were not clear, I was specifically looking for advice on how to communicate with the university I am applying to and ask for an exemption, not for advice on how to deal with the college I spent four years at and graduated from.

And yes, most of the colleges that I know are SLACs or historically women only colleges. I don’t think that’s surprising considering I went to such a college myself and the people I socialize with generally tend to have gone to such colleges. 

I already provided advice on how to get a notarized diploma translation. You don't have to be present to get the stamp, and the university will have a licensed notary public in the records/diploma office. Ask for an official hard copy plus print out of the translation to be notarized and mailed directly to the admissions department of the place you are applying. Your location doesn't matter for this problem, and most admission offices can take care of a simple request in a few days, particularly if you let them know the urgency. Similarly, the place you are applying must realize that four days is insufficient to get a new diploma and translation sent, and will most likely accept your current submission conditionally until the new copy arrives--this is an easier request than an exemption.

I'd say of the 4500 colleges in the US, the above is a small and homogenous list (small, private, exclusive, East Coast only). Even most analagous shcools (eg other Ivy's and SLACs) no longer print in Latin. I'll stand by my comments and the hour or so I spent researching the question. Also, if that is most of the colleges you know, you are familiar with a surprising number of  women's only colleges at the expense of, say, any public institution.

Finally, we can provide more specific advice and workarounds if you provide the details in your initial post (eg the deadline).

Edited to take into account posts after 9:30EST

Edited by Brandon263

Thanks for taking the time to respond. In case the title of this thread and my first post were not clear, I was specifically looking for advice on how to communicate with the university I am applying to and ask for an exemption, not for advice on how to deal with the college I spent four years at and graduated from.

And yes, most of the colleges that I know are SLACs or historically women only colleges. I don’t think that’s surprising considering I went to such a college myself and the people I socialize with generally tend to have gone to such colleges. 

It wasn't clear:

Your opening post asks "And do you have any suggestions of how I can weasel myself out of having to find a Latin translator in RURAL CHINA?" This implied that you in fact didn't know how to go about dealing with your undergraduate college and getting a notarized transcript, since you were instead seeking a local translator rather than contacting the school you matriculated from. There was nothing there about deadlines, exemptions, or how to approach things with the place you are applying until four hours after your initial post, so I don't think it's crazy that we all focused on practical advice for dealing with the degree-granting institution.

As for the Latin degrees, I get where you are coming from now, but again, what was asked in your first post was more or less "do you agree that degrees in Latin are so common that this is an unreasonable request on the university's part?" This is the other question I answered--they are not common.

There are lots of smart folks on the forums that can answer just about any question you ask, but I guess the net out of all this is that it is important to ask the question you actually want answered. Hopefully you have a plan of action at this point. I won't post again here since I've said my piece and don't want to seem hostile--I do hope you found some of the above advice, from any source, useful.

Edited by Usmivka

It wasn't clear:

Your opening post asks "And do you have any suggestions of how I can weasel myself out of having to find a Latin translator in RURAL CHINA?" This implied that you in fact didn't know how to go about dealing with your undergraduate college and getting a notarized transcript, since you were instead seeking a local translator rather than contacting the school you matriculated from. There was nothing there about deadlines, exemptions, or how to approach things with the place you are applying until four hours after your initial post, so I don't think it's crazy that we all focused on practical advice for dealing with the degree-granting institution.

As for the Latin degrees, I get where you are coming from now, but again, what was asked in your first post was more or less "do you agree that degrees in Latin are so common that this is an unreasonable request on the university's part?" This is the other question I answered--they are not common.

There are lots of smart folks on the forums that can answer just about any question you ask, but I guess the net out of all this is that it is important to ask the question you actually want answered. Hopefully you have a plan of action at this point. I won't post again here since I've said my piece and don't want to seem hostile--I do hope you found some of the above advice, from any source, useful.

I already have notarized transcripts, which you would have known if you had read my posts above clearly. My alma mater also doesn't issue notarized translations of the degree, just a translation provided in the graduation program. Again, my question was specifically about communicating with the university I am applying to. 

Everyone else who replied to my post is clear about what I was asking. The title is clearly about an exemption (note the "talking myself out of" in the title).

You do seem rather hostile and patronizing, so I appreciate your decision to not participate any further in this thread. Instead of asking for clarifications or offering helpful suggestions, you offered contradictions and irrelevant advice that has nothing to do with the substance of the thread. Thank you for bowing out of the discussion.

Edited by Brandon263

What a weird situation. My undergrad diploma is fully in Latin (so no, I have no idea what it says) but I've never had to provide a copy of it or anything. (ETA: No wait, I did have to provide a copy when I started my MA.) Given that so many of the country's elite institutions seem to still use Latin, I don't get why this school needs a copy of the translation...

Good luck with this unusual request!

I'll try arguing for an exemption and see how that goes. The university I'm applying to basically contacted me today saying they need a notarized version of the diploma by January 31. I already contacted my college about a notarized, translated copy, but I'm not sure if they provide those and, if they do, whether they'll be able to provide by January 31. :-(

Yeesh. I'd reply back and tell them that you've contacted your undergrad university about the notarized, translated copy, but because you are living abroad, you are afraid that it would be difficult to have those prepared by the end of the month. Ask for an exemption, and if there's anything else you could do to verify the diploma (email from the graduation office, another set of transcripts, whatever). Hopefully they'll be accommodating.

Best of luck to you!

When, from 1500 to 1850? At what point did US schools stop issuing degrees in Latin? I have trouble imagining this being a recent switch. Let me know quickly before I lose myself to googling on the topic.

EDIT: I have evidence of optional latin diplomas from some Canadian universities within the last decade...not a default, but apparently someone can choose to have their diploma printed in latin. The threads discussing this also mentioned having trouble getting a notarized translation. Nothing from Britain...and heresay but no images or statements regarding US institutions. I'll keep digging.

EDIT 2: And Harvard appears to have switched to English in the 60s, Yale in the 80s. BU gives medical and law degrees in latin, but not undergrad degrees.

Edit 3: OK, WUSTL appears to offer some (but not all?) BAs in Latin. I'm going to stop now, but I am really curious if there are any US universities that still confer BA/BSs in latin without a graduate specifically requesting it. Anyone who knows more, please do post. Or help the OPer with their original question, sorry to highjack the thread, but I do think my assumption in my response has been born out (ie, degrees written in latin seem to be very uncommon in the US, and have been for decades).

EDIT 4: A final note for the OPer--the only schools currently or formerly granting latin degrees that I can find post translations directly on their websites.

I think most schools phased them out between the 60s and 90s. Religious schools were slower (for obvious reasons). A lot of my youngish professors had some Latin and some not Latin degrees (because of changes between their MA and their PhD).

OMG, it looks like I’ve stirred a hornet’s nest. I emailed the department I am applying to to get an exemption or deferral of their notarized diploma translation request, and they e-mailed me back saying that they now require an official version (i.e. not the “issued to student” copy) of my transcript as well. AAARRRRGGGGH. They gave me until February 5 to get them both the official transcript and the notarized diploma translation. :-(

Edit: Thank God my alma mater is fierce and decided to deliver a shotokan blow of awesomeness to the douchey department I am applying to. They’ll mail them an official transcript tomorrow and have already e-mailed them a letter certifying that I actually graduated. Hopefully, that will be enough…

Edited by Brandon263

OMG, it looks like I’ve stirred a hornet’s nest. I emailed the department I am applying to to get an exemption or deferral of their notarized diploma translation request, and they e-mailed me back saying that they now require an official version (i.e. not the “issued to student” copy) of my transcript as well. AAARRRRGGGGH. They gave me until February 5 to get them both the official transcript and the notarized diploma translation. :-(

Edit: Thank God my alma mater is fierce and decided to deliver a shotokan blow of awesomeness to the douchey department I am applying to. They’ll mail them an official transcript tomorrow and have already e-mailed them a letter certifying that I actually graduated. Hopefully, that will be enough…

Best of luck! And despite the trouble they're giving you, I'm still jealous of your Latin diploma. ;)