UCSD

Othello's alter

I'm in for Communication-- I'm pretty far towards the humanities pole of the comm spectrum, though. Half of my undergrad major was in lit, too.

I'm sort of stuck: really like the program and look forward to studying with a few people there (one of whom is technically in your department I think-- michael davidson?), but I have absolutely zero desire to live or even set foot in san diego. They give decent money apparently (I was only given an unofficial estimate of what they usually give for the first year), but san diego is so fucking expensive. Plus, I've heard that the area around ucsd especially sucks-- like going to school in Grosse Point, MI or Scarsdale, NY (plus a beach). Are you dealing with any kind of similar predicament? Aghh!!

Regardless, congrats!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been admitted to IRPS at UCSD for an MA. Anyone else here in that program considering attending admitted students day on April 2-3? I'm debating if I should go because the travel reimbursement won't be enough cover my plane ticket and I'm still waiting on hearing back from other schools so I'd rather not have to shell out tons of money for "admitted day" trips because I already did a mini-tour of a handful of places on the East Coast back in October. I'm pretty keen on at least seeing the place (So Cal weather totally trumps Toronto winter/spring!), meeting the people, trying to get a better grasp of what I'm considering.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I am looking forward to the SO-CAL weather! I'm from the midwest....

Anyone in IR/PS?

What are you guys doing for housing? :o

curious george: Yes, San Diego is very expensive....but you are getting a great climate and the ocean! u can't put a price on that in my humble opinion. I'm from the Midwest, where we are supposed to get snow tonight~~~it's frickin April~~

I visited San Diego in Feb. 2008 and loved the city AND LA JOLLA! yes, La Jolla is a preppy town...but it has a beach! :)

and the city has nice attractions like the gaslit district, piers, etc.....

so, curious george if you hate la jolla, maybe u should consider living farther away from campus...like hillcrest? I heard that was a more interesting area to live in.....

just my 2 cents!

impatiens: I've also been accepted into the IR/PS program! I was unable to attend the Admitted Students Day, but I watched it online. Did you see it? I was able to ask questions and then the monitor asked them on my behalf to the presenters. It really helped explain the structure of the program. I took a lot of notes, so if you have a question, I'd be happy to (try to) answer it~! :D

I'm from Michigan, so the SO-cal weather is a big incentive for going to UCSD~!

Hi everyone going to UCSD. I am a San Diego native. I applied to UCSD, got in, decided to go else where.

I wanted to let all of you future Tritons something about UCSD. The area surrounding UCSD is very expensive.

If any of you are interested, my grandparents rent apartments in the Pacific beach area. It is not walking distance to UCSD, but less than 5 miles away. This complex is not in the "heart" of PB, but within walking distance. Our rent is reasonable (See details below) and ideal for a graduate student. If I were going to UCSD I would live here.

1 bedroom

patio

fireplace (carpet 1 year old)

laundry

book case

freshly painted

Garage extra 100$ a month

rent w/o garage=1200

w/ garage = 1300

If interested give me a call

@ 858 752-0547

or

858 453-6208

or contact me through thegradcafe

Hello all,

I am a student at UCSD and it is not THAT expensive to live in La Jolla... it just depends on the housing complexes in La Jolla you choose to live in. I am sharing a room and I pay $400 a month, which is not bad at all, and I think that is pretty do-able. 400-500 to share is the norm around here. If you move a little farther out of La Jolla, like Clairemont Mesa, it will be a bit cheaper. Maybe...

Also, Mesa grad housing is not expensive either. I've talked to a few grad students and it's a pretty sweet deal. If you can live there, I would suggest you do.

Good luck in your decisions!

I'm doing graduate housing... Anyone worried about how to get a roommate blindly placed in your room (if you're doing 2-br)?

Current UCSD grad here. There is one way I know of to get around that, which is to look for a roommate wanted offer from a current campus housing resident. You're still taking a chance, but it could be a little less blind. You may be able to find someone by joining this:

https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listin ... using-op-l

or less frequently, this:

http://hds.ucsd.edu/hsgaffil/roommate/mainmenu.aspx

or even less likely, this (UCSD network only):

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 557&ref=ts

FWIW, I'm a current Miramar resident looking for a female roommate come summer, if anyone is planning on moving here early.

On another note, it's interesting to hear that you have no choice in who your roommate is going to be. Who told you this? The housing policies are in a state of transition (long story...) and people at different levels of the administration have different ideas of what is actually applicable. It's a mess.

thanks to everyone for the housing recommendations! I've applied to Mesa housing and I am waiting...and waiting....hopefully i'll get in! :o

what is everyone doing this summer? working? enjoying our last bit of freedom before hitting the books?

How are u getting prepared for grad school? I've been out of school now for 5 years and a little apprehensive about grad school.....

does anyone have a similar experience?

So I'm confused then. I applied miramar and coast (which i obvi won't get). I will be guaranteed housing by the time I need to move-in, right? Or am I wrong?

Also, they had told me that they randomly assign me a roommate unless I know of someone and we go in together? Is this also correct?

Alright, so thanks for the encouragement/advice above-- I'm going. Visit was very nice. As my potential (probable) adviser said to me, "you have to get used to the fact that it's actually just okay to enjoy yourself and your surroundings here." I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist. Indeed, a scary thought!

Now about the housing: anyone else have SHORE? What the hell is the deal? The agreement seems pretty shady-- no choice about when you move in (the request is only a formality, from what I've heard), no choice about which building you end up in, and the main criteria for roommate matching are move-in date (surprise!) and gender? Sorry, just gotta be the curmudgeon of the group I guess...

Congrats to all who got in and are going. We should have a secret gradcafe community handshake/distinguishing accessory...or something.

Ooh I got a plan for all the people stuck on the stupid waitlist for grad housing: I'll move in, poop in the middle of the living room every night for a week so that my roommate runs away, and then casually suggest that one of you be my new roommate. Then I'll stop the pooping (if u want).

Grad cafe solidarity!!

Alright, so thanks for the encouragement/advice above-- I'm going. Visit was very nice. As my potential (probable) adviser said to me, "you have to get used to the fact that it's actually just okay to enjoy yourself and your surroundings here." I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist. Indeed, a scary thought!

Now about the housing: anyone else have SHORE? What the hell is the deal? The agreement seems pretty shady-- no choice about when you move in (the request is only a formality, from what I've heard), no choice about which building you end up in, and the main criteria for roommate matching are move-in date (surprise!) and gender? Sorry, just gotta be the curmudgeon of the group I guess...

Congrats to all who got in and are going. We should have a secret gradcafe community handshake/distinguishing accessory...or something.

I think that you have to be nominated through your department for SHORE.

I don't have SHORE, but I applied for MESA housing through ARCH. Basically u put down a move in date....and if there's an opening they will call u and u have 48 hours to accept or decline. If you decline, you get ONE more offer of housing.

I hope this helps!

I'm all for a secret gradcafe handshake! :!:

Call the office and talk to them - they're not very good at communicating important information until you go after them.

From what I understand...you should be happy that you have SHORE. You're guaranteed housing in Mesa during your entire time at UCSD (or at least normative time to degree + 1 year). All of your cohorts here are going to get 2 years, max.

ypq: Call the office and talk to them - they're not very good at communicating important information until you go after them.

From what I understand...you should be happy that you have SHORE. You're guaranteed housing in Mesa during your entire time at UCSD (or at least normative time to degree + 1 year). All of your cohorts here are going to get 2 years, max.

• 2 weeks later...

Call the office and talk to them - they're not very good at communicating important information until you go after them.

SHORE is a sweet deal and I have that too. Just don't get fooled. They keep going back and forth on whether or not we get to move around. You are guaranteed housing the full time of your degree which is sweet, but unless they pair you with another SHORE student, you might feel like you have a revolving door because everyone else is limited to 2 yrs. That being said, I have a lot of labmates/friends who have lived with random people and most of them have had good experiences. The only one I know who isn't happy is because she got a roommate who has a ton of random food allergies that make it really annoying to share a kitchen with the person. Anyhow, since their policy right now is to make you keep the apt you start in, make sure it's one you really really want to live in. I'm stuck in 4th floor "city" view so I just got my rent jacked up $40 but its still cheaper for me (w/o a car) to live here. I'd avoid building 2 b/c it faces the highway and has a lot of noise from that (unless it is a courtyard view). Also, 1st floor with a patio is useless (and they all have it) b/c you have nothing to tie your stuff to (or 95% of them don't) so it gets stolen... I've had friends whose reg plants (w/ no fruits/veggies) got stolen. Mesa/Miramar is nice b/c a lot of grads live here. It's nice to be a 2 min walk from someone's dinner/party/event.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use