Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

So, since I have a language proficency exam I have to take for my grant, I emailed asking if I could do it at my Alma Mater (A former Fulbright grantee did) instead of basically doubling the money spent and going to NYC. The Ireland Fulbright people told me on Feb. 10, when I asked for an updated (the exam people said to contact Fulbright) that their board was meeting this week (16-20) to make final decisions.  Hopefully anyone applying there (like me) will hear back soon! All this waiting is killing me.

Y'all, this is exactly how I feel! I have a full time job and I still feel like I have to fill every second outside of work with stuff to keep my mind off of waiting. And just so everyone knows, since 2008, the only countries that have been notified before March have been Ireland (last year), Indonesia (twice), Austria (Back in like 2010) and Belgium(2008). So... I'm guessing we should at least stay away from the "refresh" button obsession until March.

Yeah.. that logic still isn't helping, is it?

Good news: Only 8 days until March! Yipeeeeeeeeeee! Edited by RRachel1

So, since I have a language proficency exam I have to take for my grant, I emailed asking if I could do it at my Alma Mater (A former Fulbright grantee did) instead of basically doubling the money spent and going to NYC. The Ireland Fulbright people told me on Feb. 10, when I asked for an updated (the exam people said to contact Fulbright) that their board was meeting this week (16-20) to make final decisions. Hopefully anyone applying there (like me) will hear back soon! All this waiting is killing me.

Did you apply to Ireland? And if so, is your proficiency exam in Gaelic? How awesome!

RRachel1,

Not to be facetious but the language in Ireland is actually Irish. Gaelic is one of the subdivisions of the Celtic languages. Irish falls under the Gaelic umbrella. God I'm bored!

How interesting! When I was in Ireland I was told that the signs were in Gaelic so I just assumed that was the spoken language. Good to know.

Did you apply to Ireland? And if so, is your proficiency exam in Gaelic? How awesome!

Yep! I applied for the Irish language Research/Study grant. And, since it requires a B2 (CEFR scale) on the Irish proficiency exam I emailed the test givers about taking it close (my alma mater - I graduated 2014) so I wouldn't have to spend the $500 to take it. They told me to contact Fulbright, and when I did, they told me they'd take care of it. Two weeks later I asked for an update, and they told me they were meeting to decide grants this week!

But I do think it's cool. I got really lucky in attending a school where I could take Irish.

Yep! I applied for the Irish language Research/Study grant. And, since it requires a B2 (CEFR scale) on the Irish proficiency exam I emailed the test givers about taking it close (my alma mater - I graduated 2014) so I wouldn't have to spend the $500 to take it. They told me to contact Fulbright, and when I did, they told me they'd take care of it. Two weeks later I asked for an update, and they told me they were meeting to decide grants this week!

But I do think it's cool. I got really lucky in attending a school where I could take Irish.

Best of luck!! I hope that they notify you quickly after making grant decisions. You might be the first of us to be notified!

Best of luck!! I hope that they notify you quickly after making grant decisions. You might be the first of us to be notified!

Thanks! Ah, I really hope I get it soon. It's nerve-wracking knowing that they've made the decision, and I don't know it!

Is anyone else in the late-transcript boat? I sent in two of the three in plenty of time, but the last one (from overseas) *finally* arrived at my house today, which means it won't get to New York until Wednesday or so.

I'm hoping this isn't a serious issue?

Heads up, for those interested in traveling/working/living in Asia I would HIGHLY recommend applying to the Princeton In Asia Fellowship program, which I've always considered to be the "hipster" Fulbright. It's lower key and much more flexible. When you apply you select your top three choices, and during the interview process they fit you to the most ideal position. I ended up living and working in Kazakhstan for two years and loved it.

http://piaweb.princeton.edu/

Just saying!

Hi everyone! Please make sure you update your information on this spreadsheet! It really helps people in next year's application process to get an idea of what to expect. And if you're a UK applicant, it helps me guess the timeline for when we will get answers below! ;)

You don't have to have an account to fill it out, and you can do it anonymously! There's just a few of us who are wondering what institutions other grad-café-lurkers are applying for, whether or not they've been interviewed, etc!

Wishing you all good luck! Can you believe next week is March? I know I've been wishing for March for SO long in anticipation, but now that it's approaching, I want to pump the brakes! Anyone else feeling that way, too?

Wishing you all good luck! Can you believe next week is March? I know I've been wishing for March for SO long in anticipation, but now that it's approaching, I want to pump the brakes! Anyone else feeling that way, too?

Nah, not really. Notifications for Macedonia didn't go out last year until the very beginning of June, so I haven't even thought about it yet. The coordinator did say that they hope to get the information out earlier this year, though.

Anyone else applying to countries in the Caucasus? I applied to Georgia and was recommended. I don't expect to hear anything any time soon since they didn't notify until April 28 last year. Just seeing who else is out there!

After going back and forth on which CLEA-approved program to apply to I decided to go with CET Harbin. The deadline is 3/1 (summer) and 5/1 (fall) compared to IUP's rolling admissions for summer and 1/15 for fall. If you apply after 1/15 there's a $50 late fee on top of the application fee. It's a very good program but the timing seems strange for Fulbright.

Anyone else applying for a CLEA? How was the application process?

Edited by Oliebollen

Finally caved and created an account! I'm an applicant for a UK Study/Research Grant. My interview is on Monday, March 2nd. So to everyone who's already had their interview and is waiting on the results, I just wanted to let you know that interviews won't wrap up until early March. So mid-March is probably the earliest we can expect to hear back ....

Watch out the VISA regulations, as italian citizen I applied to Fulbright Italy, they would only fund people with returning visa, which means I would have had to spend 3 years in my home country after a phd in USA

Finally caved and created an account! I'm an applicant for a UK Study/Research Grant. My interview is on Monday, March 2nd. So to everyone who's already had their interview and is waiting on the results, I just wanted to let you know that interviews won't wrap up until early March. So mid-March is probably the earliest we can expect to hear back ....

:(  My heart hurts.

Good Luck on your upcoming interview!

My thoughts exactly! But last year applicants also didn't find out the results from the first round until the very end of January. I'm reeeeally hoping things are moving more swiftly on every level this year, since we were notified so early.

I've had this same type of magical thinking in my head too. That being said, it seems that it can be backed up with statistics. In the years that the first acceptance was sent out early (give or take a few days from the third Friday of January), a cadre of countries sent the final acceptances out earlier as well. If the trend continues, it does seem likely that notices for these countries will begin rolling perhaps a week or so earlier than the median of past dates. I particularly was eyeing countries with a large number of grants traditionally allotted, and this logic might be spotty with less sought-after countries.

With that in mind, however, I realize this is my way of trying to apply a modicum of control to a process that clearly we all have no control over. Parsing out probabilities of notification won't shake the ambiguity of the impending life decisions this notice will trigger for me, nor will it salve my currently muted pre-gloom of highly-probable rejection. Still, I take value in reading these posts because it helps me realize that my anxiety is in communion with everyone else scattered around the world waiting with baited breath. I propose a toast to everyone waiting: if acceptance comes, that will be terrific, but if we happen to receive rejection, which many of us will and already have, let’s usher it in as opportunity. What seems very big right now to many of us won’t really matter in the future. I hope to take an acceptance with as much composure as a rejection.

Hey, everyone! I've been reading this forever, so I'll just join in. I applied for an ETA to Turkey, and I made it to the final round. Two rounds ago, they found out around March 31. Last round, they found out around May 2... Now how does that work out?? I hate this wait! 

Wishing the best of luck to everyone else :)

I've had this same type of magical thinking in my head too. That being said, it seems that it can be backed up with statistics. In the years that the first acceptance was sent out early (give or take a few days from the third Friday of January), a cadre of countries sent the final acceptances out earlier as well. If the trend continues, it does seem likely that notices for these countries will begin rolling perhaps a week or so earlier than the median of past dates. I particularly was eyeing countries with a large number of grants traditionally allotted, and this logic might be spotty with less sought-after countries.

With that in mind, however, I realize this is my way of trying to apply a modicum of control to a process that clearly we all have no control over. Parsing out probabilities of notification won't shake the ambiguity of the impending life decisions this notice will trigger for me, nor will it salve my currently muted pre-gloom of highly-probable rejection. Still, I take value in reading these posts because it helps me realize that my anxiety is in communion with everyone else scattered around the world waiting with baited breath. I propose a toast to everyone waiting: if acceptance comes, that will be terrific, but if we happen to receive rejection, which many of us will and already have, let’s usher it in as opportunity. What seems very big right now to many of us won’t really matter in the future. I hope to take an acceptance with as much composure as a rejection.

Very well said! We do, indeed, have no control of the outcome at this point. I keep trying to tell myself that the time will pass by whether or not I spend the coming month(s) obsessing over the final decision. Here's to maintaining our sanity!