Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Another day of silence for Central Asia applicants! Dear Fulbright people, please don't make me wait until May!

Come on, Moldova...keeping my fingers crossed for you, cml! You ready to eat horse meat?? :) Fermented mare's milk??

I've never posted here before, but was accepted to Malaysia today as a research/study grantee! Has anyone created a Facebook page? I know research and ETA are separate (we have no orientation) but would be create to combine forces since there are so many ETAs and so few research grantees.

I'll be in KL.

I've never posted here before, but was accepted to Malaysia today as a research/study grantee! Has anyone created a Facebook page? I know research and ETA are separate (we have no orientation) but would be create to combine forces since there are so many ETAs and so few research grantees.

I'll be in KL.

Chord, please create one and we'll join!

Hey all! I'm thinking of applying for a Fulbright next year (it would be my second time). I'm currently doing a PhD program and would be applying to do an MA in Cultural Studies and Theory (focusing on trauma and violence) at a UK university. Last year, when I applied, I was a finalist, but ultimately not selected. I see that people do get the grants and that MA and doctoral levels are allowed to apply. My main concern is approaching my advisor, who may not be receptive to me taking a year to do more research/intensive focus, but I feel like doing it before I hit dissertation phase allows me more exploration time and also more chances to apply. Does anyone have advice? Should I wait or does waiting look bad since I'll be further along in my current program?

Firstly, I'd recommend posting this instead in next year's thread. Some of us still haven't received final notifications for the upcoming year, which is still the primary focus of this thread. Secondly, why would you apply to do an MA when you're currently working on a doctoral degree? That sounds counterproductive to me. In any case, I'd be glad to continue the conversation in the other thread if you take it there.

Perhaps this question has already been asked and answered (if so, my apologies), but where can I find the Grant Authorization Document? It says IIE will send it to me. Is that via e-mail or in the official letter/package they say they will send to my permanent address?

Thank you!

Perhaps this question has already been asked and answered (if so, my apologies), but where can I find the Grant Authorization Document? It says IIE will send it to me. Is that via e-mail or in the official letter/package they say they will send to my permanent address?

Thank you!

Hi CMNO15! :) Your grant authorization document is sent to you via email (and maybe with a hard copy by post too).

It was about a week between my acceptance email and when I got an email with all the additional documentation so if it hasn't been too long wait for a little bit! It may take IIE some time get all the information gathered up and sent out to you.

Edited by nsnotable

Hi CMNO15! :) Your grant authorization document is sent to you via email (and maybe with a hard copy by post too).

It was about a week between my acceptance email and when I got an email with all the additional documentation so if it hasn't been too long wait for a little bit! It may take IIE some time get all the information gathered up and sent out to you.

Hi nsnotable! I only found out about my acceptance on Monday so I'll keep an eye out for the follow up e-mails lol. Thanks!  :)

Dear Diary,

It's day 44 since the Fulbright notification period began. For those of us who have yet to be notified, the numbers are dwindling... We are increasingly alone. I'm not sure how much longer morale can stand.

God help us. 

At this point i'm beginning to wonder if Fulbright is just a figment of my imagination and that the country of Jordan doesn't even exist.....

and congrats teachlovemusic on Macedonia!!!!

Edited by nic93

Do you think Central Asia notifies en masse like Sub Saharan Africa did? I can't afford to wait until May- just received a different fellowship notification I have to reply to by May 1.

Given the way the spreadsheet is structured, I think so. Is the other one also Central Asia related, out of curiosity? I hope to god we'll know by then simply because I am so utterly incapable of doing schoolwork lately.

I kind of thought the spreadsheet was structured that way because there weren't enough entries for each country on their own, plus you know how people love to lump the Stans together.  :-P 

Also, I am so with you on the schoolwork thing!

So, my country's Fulbright (which sends us to the US) says they'll notify recommended applicants on or before April 15th. It's past COB at their offices. Any clue what this means, and more importantly, how much of a neurotic asshole do I look like if I email (very courteously) to follow up? They notify by email, I've been checking my spam filters relentlessly, etc.

So, my country's Fulbright (which sends us to the US) says they'll notify recommended applicants on or before April 15th. It's past COB at their offices. Any clue what this means, and more importantly, how much of a neurotic asshole do I look like if I email (very courteously) to follow up? They notify by email, I've been checking my spam filters relentlessly, etc.

Don't know if you emailed already, but if not, I would definitely hold off at least 3-4 days. My country told me they would notify by the end of March, and I waited until the second week of April to send a follow up email. I think this was an appropriate amount of time to wait and didn't make me look bad, since I got the good news yesterday! Good luck with the wait - I know it's so stressful and frustrating but it will end one day when you least expect it ....