Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

You got an email on the 16th but it wasn't a rejection or a recommendation? What did it say?

Notification of the application status will be sent to applicants for the regular Fulbright study/research grants todayJanuary 16.   However, applications for the Fulbright National Geographic and Fulbright-Clinton Fellowships are still under consideration.

The recommendation notifications for these programs will be sent when the initial review by the National Screening Committee is completed and the results verified.  This will take place in the coming weeks and you will hear from us by the end of Feburary at the latest. 

I have a quick question for other Fulbright Finalists.

So, the next step for us is sending our official transcripts.  The Fulbright website (http://us.fulbrightonline.org/information-for-recommended-candidates) seems to state that they only require the official transcript of the university from which we graduated, but my FPA seems to want transcripts of all institutions from which we transferred courses.  

What are your thoughts? Do I need to send a transcript from the university I transferred from even though all of those courses are listed on the official transcript of my current university?

I'm in the same boat, and I ended up just sending official transcripts from all institutions just to be safe as my BA transcript doesn't necessarily reflect the classes that were transferred in from my dual-enrollment program in high school... Having worked in a similar office, if they don't need the transcript they'll just shred it - but it's always best to be thorough and provide them the information if it ends up being necessary. 

@kmac11 - For what it's worth, I'm an ETA in Bulgaria right now, and even though it's a developing country, I have found it to be very safe and the people to be extremely welcoming. Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Thanks for all of your feedback, everyone. 

TravelingTeacher: I definitely feel for you. I wish you all the best in making your decision, and it helps to know I'm not alone in worrying about my family if I go abroad!

Oliebollen: It's too far away, and they can't stand the thought of not seeing me for 10 months. My dad in particular seems to think that I applied because I wouldn't see them for a year, which isn't true at all. They also think I only applied because I've been underemployed for so long. That did influence my decision to apply but I wouldn't call Fulbright a "plan B."

Travelgirl125: I applied to Bulgaria, and they think it's not a developed country, so that's definitely part of it. I tried telling them more about Bulgaria, and they even spoke to a pastor at their church who has been there. I think it put their minds at ease a little bit, but they're still not convinced. 

No problem!

I was asking because I applied for Fulbright's South Korea ETA and wasn't recommended, so I looked into other programs like EPIK and TaLK, and they seem to prefer that you have certification... Or it at least helps get accepted it seems.

So that's why!  :)

Makes sense.  TESOL certification is an interesting thing as every country/school/program has a different view on it.  Domestically speaking, it's unnecessary and I've never heard of an interview committee giving certification any weight over even basic ESL/EFL experience.  Internationally speaking, many schools want to say their teachers are certified.  It makes their programs seem more qualified even though certification is overrated at best and overpriced at worst.  I would reach out to EPIK and TaLK to see what they prefer when it comes to TESOL certification.  It definitely won't hurt to get it (unless you overpay), and it is a valued/necessary component of any EFL resume.  

I have a quick question for other Fulbright Finalists.

So, the next step for us is sending our official transcripts.  The Fulbright website (http://us.fulbrightonline.org/information-for-recommended-candidates) seems to state that they only require the official transcript of the university from which we graduated, but my FPA seems to want transcripts of all institutions from which we transferred courses.  

What are your thoughts? Do I need to send a transcript from the university I transferred from even though all of those courses are listed on the official transcript of my current university?

When I was recommended last year, I contacted them to ask about this directly. The reason was that I started at a community college and then transferred to a four-year university. They wanted both transcripts.

I'm in the same boat, and I ended up just sending official transcripts from all institutions just to be safe as my BA transcript doesn't necessarily reflect the classes that were transferred in from my dual-enrollment program in high school... Having worked in a similar office, if they don't need the transcript they'll just shred it - but it's always best to be thorough and provide them the information if it ends up being necessary. 

When I was recommended last year, I contacted them to ask about this directly. The reason was that I started at a community college and then transferred to a four-year university. They wanted both transcripts.

Thank you both very much! I will definitely send all the transcripts.

So, after not hearing back from Fulbright since Friday. I heard today from the rep. I am told that because I selected "National Geographic fellowship" in question 3a, my application for US-UK partnership for UCL, instead went to Nat geo Fulbright committee. I don't understand why. When I submitted the application in October, embark wouldn't let me submit if I didn't select something; and I only remember two options: Geographic and Clinton Fellowships... So, I chose the Geographic fellowship. My assumption was that if I receive the grant, I might be given an opportunity for "host country involvement." My assumption was based on when I received the Gilman Scholarship. I then won another fellowship which substituted the 'community service' project.. 

My entire application was geared towards Immunology/bio-engineering - working on nanoparticles to understand the host immune response in vaccines/autoimmune diseases.

Does anyone know the process of this "national geographic fellowship?" I have written off my application as a REJECTION. 

Does anyone know if Germany requires a second-round interview for ETA finalists? I have heard various answers from doing some research (aka Fulbright blog stalking) online. From what I've gathered, the process has changed a bit over the past couple of years - previously I think students had to translate their essays into German for the second round, etc.

A friend of mine was an alternate for Russia last year and had to do a Skype interview so that they could evaluate her language skills. This was probably a month or so after she found out she was a finalist. Wondering if it's the same for Germany?

I was recommended for an ETA position in Germany. Does anyone know what percentage of applicants are eliminated in the first round of selections? So say 400 apply, what amount (on average) make it to the next round?

I remember seeing a statistic that about 1.5 - 2 times the number of applicants get recommended as finalists compared to those that get accepted. Using 2014-2015 as an example:140 people got accepted for the ETA to Germany last year, meaning anywhere from 210-280 applicants were recommended as finalists... seems a bit high to me, so I'm not sure if the statistic I read was actually correct. Hope this helps!

So, after not hearing back from Fulbright since Friday. I heard today from the rep. I am told that because I selected "National Geographic fellowship" in question 3a, my application for US-UK partnership for UCL, instead went to Nat geo Fulbright committee. I don't understand why. When I submitted the application in October, embark wouldn't let me submit if I didn't select something; and I only remember two options: Geographic and Clinton Fellowships... So, I chose the Geographic fellowship. My assumption was that if I receive the grant, I might be given an opportunity for "host country involvement." My assumption was based on when I received the Gilman Scholarship. I then won another fellowship which substituted the 'community service' project.. 

My entire application was geared towards Immunology/bio-engineering - working on nanoparticles to understand the host immune response in vaccines/autoimmune diseases.

Does anyone know the process of this "national geographic fellowship?" I have written off my application as a REJECTION. 

The Nat Geo Fellowship is for storytelling. You don't necessarily affiliate with one Uni, but as many resources within the host country as you want. The proposal and other requirements are also different. Unfortunately, I do not think at this stage it would be possible to have it looked at as a regular partnership award grant, since they released the announcements already. I would recommend reapplying next year if that is possible for you. 

Question to bounce of the forum intellectually stimulating folks.

When asked"Tell us about a time you felt out of your element, explain the situation and what you did to overcome it"

What is the best answer?

Anybody with some good examples

The Nat Geo Fellowship is for storytelling. You don't necessarily affiliate with one Uni, but as many resources within the host country as you want. The proposal and other requirements are also different. Unfortunately, I do not think at this stage it would be possible to have it looked at as a regular partnership award grant, since they released the announcements already. I would recommend reapplying next year if that is possible for you. 

What I am trying to understand is why did it go to geo? I am looking at my records. So, I applied on the 13th and on the 27th of October I received an email from Fulbright that stated this:

You are receiving this email because you applied or are applying to the US Student Fulbright Program, and appear to have a project proposal in bioengineering/biomedical engineering or a related field.  As such, we would like to inform you about an exciting grant opportunity for individuals in the field of biomedical engineering! The Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program... "

So, They acknowledged my application as the student program not the National Geo program.. Last night's email said it was b/c of question 3a. here are my answers for question 3: 3 - Academic, 3a - National Geographic Fellowship, 3b: Paternershp/uni college London.... I am very confused and frankly very upset (mainly at myself). when I applied for the 1st time, no one from my college had applied to Fulbright/Rhodes/Mitchell/Marshall. So, I was the 1st one and they didn't know how to handle it... So, I have been learning and doing it myself alone and I thought I understood everything... 

Makes sense.  TESOL certification is an interesting thing as every country/school/program has a different view on it.  Domestically speaking, it's unnecessary and I've never heard of an interview committee giving certification any weight over even basic ESL/EFL experience.  Internationally speaking, many schools want to say their teachers are certified.  It makes their programs seem more qualified even though certification is overrated at best and overpriced at worst.  I would reach out to EPIK and TaLK to see what they prefer when it comes to TESOL certification.  It definitely won't hurt to get it (unless you overpay), and it is a valued/necessary component of any EFL resume.  

Yeah, I've come to a similar conclusion since writing that response to you.

I've been doing more research, and if I can get away with not even doing it (especially if we're going to be trained for several weeks within the program), then I'd rather not use the money toward certification when I'd still need to get my passport, VISA, several copies of transcripts, an FBI Criminal Background Check, etc...

I talked to a current TaLK Scholar, and he said he didn't need to be certified at all. Just turn it in early, show your passion, and make a REALLY good lesson plan (that goes along with the application process). So that's what I'm honing my energy on currently.

When asked"Tell us about a time you felt out of your element, explain the situation and what you did to overcome it"

What is the best answer?

I feel like this has to be personal... Do you have a time when you felt you didn't fit in? And if so, what did you do about it?

I know there are times when you may feel defeated during a moment like that, but see if you had a time where you attempted to conquer that feeling.

I feel like this has to be personal... Do you have a time when you felt you didn't fit in? And if so, what did you do about it?

I know there are times when you may feel defeated during a moment like that, but see if you had a time where you attempted to conquer that feeling.

Thank you, I was thinking along those lines, but wanted to bounce it off everyone else in here..

Thanks again

What is the best answer?

Another possibility is a time you started out in a new or interdisciplinary field where you didn't have a lot of background.

What I am trying to understand is why did it go to geo? I am looking at my records. So, I applied on the 13th and on the 27th of October I received an email from Fulbright that stated this:

You are receiving this email because you applied or are applying to the US Student Fulbright Program, and appear to have a project proposal in bioengineering/biomedical engineering or a related field.  As such, we would like to inform you about an exciting grant opportunity for individuals in the field of biomedical engineering! The Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program... "

So, They acknowledged my application as the student program not the National Geo program.. Last night's email said it was b/c of question 3a. here are my answers for question 3: 3 - Academic, 3a - National Geographic Fellowship, 3b: Paternershp/uni college London.... I am very confused and frankly very upset (mainly at myself). when I applied for the 1st time, no one from my college had applied to Fulbright/Rhodes/Mitchell/Marshall. So, I was the 1st one and they didn't know how to handle it... So, I have been learning and doing it myself alone and I thought I understood everything... 

The mistake you made was choose National Geographic Fellowship for 3a. 3a is for special opportunities only. You should have left it blank. As Horb suggested, you may wanna consider reapplying. BTW- Your project sounds fascinating.

The mistake you made was choose National Geographic Fellowship for 3a. 3a is for special opportunities only. You should have left it blank. As Horb suggested, you may wanna consider reapplying. BTW- Your project sounds fascinating.

Thanks, I just called Fulbright and they are investigating on my application because as far as I remember, it did not let me submit the application without filling in 3a. Thanks, I think so too! I will think about reapplying. I have couple of options in the UK right now. If they follow through then awesome. if not, I will reapply and make sure I get an interview! 

What is the best answer?

Since this is the Fulbright thread, I'm going to answer this for a Fulbright or international interview context. In an interview for an international program, I think it would definitely help if you could place it in an international context. If I was asked this (actually in any setting) I'd probably talk about how I stayed with a host family that didn't speak English and I could barely speak their language at the start of my placement when I was teaching abroad. If you haven't had any international experience you could relate, try to relate it to experience--for example, if you've ever worked with or been in a situation where everyone spoke a language that you could not speak or been totally over your head in a situation that relates to the job/research you are applying for. I'm applying for the ETA (and actual public and private school teaching jobs), so I would talk about when I started tutoring ESL learners during college and I was partnered with a student who was 11 and had never attended school in his home country. I try to talk about this student whenever I do an education-related interview because it's definitely a unique challenge--I know many experienced teachers, including ESL teachers, who have never dealt with a similar situation--and I feel like it allows me to talk about coping with a difficult situation while also talking about my skills as a teacher and my cross-cultural communication ability. If you're doing research, a good answer could be research related, but if you can somehow connect it with your ability to cope in an international context, that is definitely a plus! 

It seems like you should have selected 3b only, but from what you are saying, it required you click both 3a and 3b? At least you still have some options for the UK, so all is not lost :)

Since this is the Fulbright thread, I'm going to answer this for a Fulbright or international interview context. In an interview for an international program, I think it would definitely help if you could place it in an international context. If I was asked this (actually in any setting) I'd probably talk about how I stayed with a host family that didn't speak English and I could barely speak their language at the start of my placement when I was teaching abroad. If you haven't had any international experience you could relate, try to relate it to experience--for example, if you've ever worked with or been in a situation where everyone spoke a language that you could not speak or been totally over your head in a situation that relates to the job/research you are applying for. I'm applying for the ETA (and actual public and private school teaching jobs), so I would talk about when I started tutoring ESL learners during college and I was partnered with a student who was 11 and had never attended school in his home country. I try to talk about this student whenever I do an education-related interview because it's definitely a unique challenge--I know many experienced teachers, including ESL teachers, who have never dealt with a similar situation--and I feel like it allows me to talk about coping with a difficult situation while also talking about my skills as a teacher and my cross-cultural communication ability. If you're doing research, a good answer could be research related, but if you can somehow connect it with your ability to cope in an international context, that is definitely a plus! 

Thank you very much.. Gives me some good ideas now. I appreciate it. 

well just had my interview.. Very quick about 12 or so minutes.. My time was later in day UK time,. they sounded like they wanted to get through the interview..lol like they spent a whole day interviewing. They interview for all UK grants.. 

We'll see.