Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

In your shoes, I say it wouldn't hurt to try to apply for a different country, along with applying for jobs/other opportunities in the region. I think it's important to also be strategic about selecting your countries.

Also, at 25 (and I'm assuming you have more education and/or experience), who says that you can't also work for an organization in the region? Have you also considered applying to Princeton in Africa, which is another fellowship in the region? They have a lot of wonderful opportunities involving development projects. I applied for Princeton in Asia when I had just graduated, and worked in the Central Asian region (although the two programs, Princeton in Asia and Princeton in Africa, are separate).

I applied to Princeton in Africa once in 2012 but that is a good idea since I haven't really considered it since ! 

Hi everyone! Has anyone gotten the grant authorization document from the host country yet? For those with research fulbrights, do you know how get determine our research and living budgets? Also, how long after you got the notification email did you hear from your host country? Thanks!!

I think it took a little over a week for mine to arrive. The papers were dated the same day as the e-mail announcement, so I think it took however long the international mail takes. The packet included information about the stipend. I have a feeling more information will be forthcoming, but at least they sent the basics in that first packet.

Any SSA applicants who weren't selected considering applying again ?! This was my 3rd time and I just feel like the ratio of grants being so small makes the application process so ..what feels like impossible. I studied Swahili in college as well as out side of it, and I have also lived in Uganda. So I am dedicated to east Africa with a deep burning passion especially Kenya. 

I would love to think I would be willing to apply again, but I am now 25 .. and I know there is a weird time frame for how long you can be out of school and still apply. And over all I'm kind of hopeless at this point (in a realistic way not so much feeling sorry for myself way). This year my proposal was aimed to focus on elephant conservation and the focus on the declining elephant population .. which they even have multiple articles supporting and highlighting on my counties embassy website.  I understand there are risk/danger factors that could have played apart in their choices. Do I take this proposal and try it with neighboring countries dealing with declining elephant population and hope next year its still relevant ? Or do I start completely fresh with a country that actually awards more than 3 grants a year ... Its hard being nominated twice and just throwing in the towel but I honestly don't know what I could possibly do different after trying so many times ! 

During my campus evaluation this year I was laughing at the fact that it was my third time applying, and one of the committee members said " I understand I applied 4 times before getting my Fulbright" .. so do i even dare ?   :blink: 

Any feed back on whether anyone thinks applying a 4th time is worth it or if I should just move on ? .. I feel slightly like an insane person. 

*sigh* 

But on a positive note this forum has made the waiting process and my overall Fulbright experience a million times more enjoyable this year than the times when I didn't know it existed. 

I got a research grant for Mozambique! I'll be doing qualitative research with a local LGBT organization on 'older' men who have sex with men.

Photogeographic and other multiple-time applicants: this was my 4th time as a Fulbright finalist and I am almost 35 (currently a PhD student so the out of school timeline did not apply) and a father of 2 young children so I don't think you should ever rule out submitting another application (to Fulbright or any other fellowship) if you come up a project that you are interested in and the in-country support to carry it out.   

Swazibound: I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Swaziland (Lubombo).  Where will you be based?

Lalabirds001: any word on your Moz application? 

Best of luck to everybody still waiting!

I got a research grant for Mozambique! I'll be doing qualitative research with a local LGBT organization on 'older' men who have sex with men.

Photogeographic and other multiple-time applicants: this was my 4th time as a Fulbright finalist and I am almost 35 (currently a PhD student so the out of school timeline did not apply) and a father of 2 young children so I don't think you should ever rule out submitting another application (to Fulbright or any other fellowship) if you come up a project that you are interested in and the in-country support to carry it out.   

Swazibound: I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Swaziland (Lubombo).  Where will you be based?

Lalabirds001: any word on your Moz application? 

Best of luck to everybody still waiting!

You just made my day ! Congrats !! 

Selected as alternate...argh. Given the stats for Mozambique (so few people apply and fewer actually get selected) I don't know how hopeful/pessimistic to be. 

Does anyone know if it's possible to find out where on the wait list you are? Or what kind of chances you have of actually getting a grant? 

jrk2115: you project sounds awesome! What an awesome idea. My proposed project is qualitative research as well, looking at the relationship between HIV positive patients, clinicians and traditional healers and how to strengthen care from a patient's perspective. 

Hi all - I've followed the forum for awhile now. Just found out today I got the research grant to Burkina Faso. It seems that SS Africa really does announce all or most on the same day.

To those who didn't make it - Photogeographic - just want to echo the Swaziland guy. I'm 31, and in a PhD program. Fulbrights are not only for people in their early 20s! And -- there are many other opportunities out there. Life sometimes - I mean often - doesn't go as we hope or we plan, but that's where all the good stuff is. The learning and the letting go and the re-focusing on what really matters. I'm sure you'll find a new and fulfilling path if you are open to it.

Any SSA applicants who weren't selected considering applying again ?! This was my 3rd time and I just feel like the ratio of grants being so small makes the application process so ..what feels like impossible. I studied Swahili in college as well as out side of it, and I have also lived in Uganda. So I am dedicated to east Africa with a deep burning passion especially Kenya. 

I would love to think I would be willing to apply again, but I am now 25 .. and I know there is a weird time frame for how long you can be out of school and still apply. And over all I'm kind of hopeless at this point (in a realistic way not so much feeling sorry for myself way). This year my proposal was aimed to focus on elephant conservation and the focus on the declining elephant population .. which they even have multiple articles supporting and highlighting on my counties embassy website.  I understand there are risk/danger factors that could have played apart in their choices. Do I take this proposal and try it with neighboring countries dealing with declining elephant population and hope next year its still relevant ? Or do I start completely fresh with a country that actually awards more than 3 grants a year ... Its hard being nominated twice and just throwing in the towel but I honestly don't know what I could possibly do different after trying so many times ! 

During my campus evaluation this year I was laughing at the fact that it was my third time applying, and one of the committee members said " I understand I applied 4 times before getting my Fulbright" .. so do i even dare ?   :blink: 

Any feed back on whether anyone thinks applying a 4th time is worth it or if I should just move on ? .. I feel slightly like an insane person. 

*sigh* 

But on a positive note this forum has made the waiting process and my overall Fulbright experience a million times more enjoyable this year than the times when I didn't know it existed. 

I just wanted to chime in really quick and just say -- I'm almost 11 years out of my undergrad (I went to grad school four years after undergrad and am now 3 years out of grad school). I was still eligible for the student Fulbright (and I'm 33!) so it's possible to revisit even after more time has gone by. It sounds like you are so close! But I wonder if you might also benefit from taking a break and perhaps doing some more stuff to boost your application so that when you come back to it on your 4th try you'll knock it out of the park? It sounds like your country was super competitive, which does make it difficult -- but I wouldn't give up if you really have your heart set on it!

*sigh* 

Go for it! I've been out of school full time for 3 years now and am 31 and received a grant. :)

I would suggest finding some alumni from the SSA area you're interest in and asking about their stories of getting a Fulbright. It's more than just the committee at your college I guess and you should try and branch out in order to help strengthen your application. I'd be interested to hear what kind of specifics your project entailed? Since I feel like there's a big push for elephant conservation already both in Africa & without, I'm wondering if it's seen as something that doesn't really 'help' the country (in a way) or provide new information. That said though, there's always a way to spin old issues into new ones! Perhaps shifting it to a different country that doesn't have much in the way of a plan for elephant conversation would be a good option as well!  :)

I'm an East-Asia Pacific and ETA person but I'd be happy to help with statements and everything too! 

Also while Princeton in Africa/Asia is a great program I think they have a tendency to go for younger folks. I also applied and got rejected - a reason among them (from my opinion) because I was too old and had too much experience abroad already. However, that's just my opinion and I could be wrong! I know some graduate students who have received it and they would be around your age.  

Go for it! I've been out of school full time for 3 years now and am 31 and received a grant. :)

I would suggest finding some alumni from the SSA area you're interest in and asking about their stories of getting a Fulbright. It's more than just the committee at your college I guess and you should try and branch out in order to help strengthen your application. I'd be interested to hear what kind of specifics your project entailed? Since I feel like there's a big push for elephant conservation already both in Africa & without, I'm wondering if it's seen as something that doesn't really 'help' the country (in a way) or provide new information. That said though, there's always a way to spin old issues into new ones! Perhaps shifting it to a different country that doesn't have much in the way of a plan for elephant conversation would be a good option as well!  :)

I'm an East-Asia Pacific and ETA person but I'd be happy to help with statements and everything too! 

Also while Princeton in Africa/Asia is a great program I think they have a tendency to go for younger folks. I also applied and got rejected - a reason among them (from my opinion) because I was too old and had too much experience abroad already. However, that's just my opinion and I could be wrong! I know some graduate students who have received it and they would be around your age.

A couple of my fellow Princeton in Asia-ers were over 25 and one was even almost 30 (these were the ones in Kazakhstan). Having a lot of experience abroad already might go against you in that fellowship since I got the sense they balance giving people new experiences versus helping them build off of their existing experiences (they pride themselves on being a "different" kind of fellowship program that's a bit more laid back and more about the experience than resume-building). But I'm biased because I'm a PiA fan and absolutely loved the program. The Princeton in Africa program, from my understanding, is a lot more competitive than the Princeton in Asia or Princeton in Latin America program due to the more limited positions.

Okay I have a question for grantees who are filling out forms. In terms of medical insurance, I think I remember reading somewhere that we are strongly encouraged to hold onto our own health insurance as their insurance will not cover us if we leave our host country (that and I suppose ACA requires it?). My insurance is currently provided by my employer, so once I leave my job I won't have insurance. But the medical form asks for information on our health carrier that we expect to use during our Fulbright. Are any of you in this boat? How have you guys been filling this out?

A couple of my fellow Princeton in Asia-ers were over 25 and one was even almost 30 (these were the ones in Kazakhstan). Having a lot of experience abroad already might go against you in that fellowship since I got the sense they balance giving people new experiences versus helping them build off of their existing experiences (they pride themselves on being a "different" kind of fellowship program that's a bit more laid back and more about the experience than resume-building). But I'm biased because I'm a PiA fan and absolutely loved the program. The Princeton in Africa program, from my understanding, is a lot more competitive than the Princeton in Asia or Princeton in Latin America program due to the more limited positions.

Interesting and thanks for the information! :) So maybe it was that I'd already had some experience abroad more than anything. And I certainly didn't meant to knock it at all. It's a great program and some of the internships were fascinating and I wish I could have done them! I know some alumni that love it too.

Where were you and what were you doing for your fellowship? 

Okay I have a question for grantees who are filling out forms. In terms of medical insurance, I think I remember reading somewhere that we are strongly encouraged to hold onto our own health insurance as their insurance will not cover us if we leave our host country (that and I suppose ACA requires it?). My insurance is currently provided by my employer, so once I leave my job I won't have insurance. But the medical form asks for information on our health carrier that we expect to use during our Fulbright. Are any of you in this boat? How have you guys been filling this out?

Hi! I'm in exactly the same place. :) For the moment I just kept the section blank but I've been looking into some of the options that are listed on the DoS website and also how it would all work with ACA. I imagine if we do get insurance to cover later on we just need to let our respective Commission and IIE know?

Edited by nsnotable

I'm having a similar issue. I have been on my parents insurance, but my dad left the job, and we won't have insurance anymore. So, my family has been planning on just letting me use the Fulbright insurance. I'm pretty lost here too, basically. 

Also, for those who were accepted, how long was it between receiving the email and receiving the letter in the mail?

Hi! I'm in exactly the same place. :) For the moment I just kept the section blank but I've been looking into some of the options that are listed on the DoS website and also how it would all work with ACA. I imagine if we do get insurance to cover later on we just need to let our respective Commission and IIE know?

I actually just emailed my region's Fulbright program advisor. And he said to just put "N/A". It's still confusing to me -- he said I would just be covered by Taiwan's national program while I'm there, so I guess I don't have to get a separate medical insurance? I looked at the options on the website and I was totally overwhelmed by what to go for but I don't want to be paying several hundred a month for a full ACA plan when I won't be using it!

I'm having a similar issue. I have been on my parents insurance, but my dad left the job, and we won't have insurance anymore. So, my family has been planning on just letting me use the Fulbright insurance. I'm pretty lost here too, basically. 

Also, for those who were accepted, how long was it between receiving the email and receiving the letter in the mail?

This is the website I've been looking at mainly: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/go/health/insurance-providers.html

I don't think it's full coverage but since most health insurance in the US may not even cover international travel, it's probably best to get international insurance. It also sounds like in this case because we'll be abroad we would be exempt from having to be fully covered and/or pay the fine for the ACA.

I'm still looking into it and plan to make some calls by the end of this month. I'll post here about further details as I find them!

I actually just emailed my region's Fulbright program advisor. And he said to just put "N/A". It's still confusing to me -- he said I would just be covered by Taiwan's national program while I'm there, so I guess I don't have to get a separate medical insurance? I looked at the options on the website and I was totally overwhelmed by what to go for but I don't want to be paying several hundred a month for a full ACA plan when I won't be using it!

Most international insurance coverage is just a one time payment up front I think. :) At least that's been my experience with when I've gone abroad for a few months and what I've done of my own research - looking at quotes from the website listed, etc - for this. Though if your FPA says you'll be covered maybe you would be? It might be helpful to ask one of the program folks at IIE too just for confirmation. 

Edited by nsnotable

Interesting and thanks for the information! :) So maybe it was that I'd already had some experience abroad more than anything. And I certainly didn't meant to knock it at all. It's a great program and some of the internships were fascinating and I wish I could have done them! I know some alumni that love it too.

Where were you and what were you doing for your fellowship? 

No you weren't knocking it at all!! I was in Kazakhstan (my top choice) working at a non profit global health organization. It was such a great opportunity to get hands on experience within the public health field, which I'm now pursuing. I had just graduated from college, and the only experience I had was working in a scientific lab setting. I ended up extending my fellowship from one year to two years (which you're allowed to do in the Princeton in Asia fellowship program). Long story short, there are more opportunities out there other than the Fulbright! (I feel like it's such a sin to say that on here, haha)

Heads up, USTA Austria has already started choosing alternates! I was given the alternate notification on April 3rd and was given my assignment yesterday. That was really quick but I can't complain haha. Looks like I'll be in Leoben next year :)

Hey all! I'm thinking of applying for a Fulbright next year (it would be my second time). I'm currently doing a PhD program and would be applying to do an MA in Cultural Studies and Theory (focusing on trauma and violence) at a UK university. Last year, when I applied, I was a finalist, but ultimately not selected. I see that people do get the grants and that MA and doctoral levels are allowed to apply. My main concern is approaching my advisor, who may not be receptive to me taking a year to do more research/intensive focus, but I feel like doing it before I hit dissertation phase allows me more exploration time and also more chances to apply. Does anyone have advice? Should I wait or does waiting look bad since I'll be further along in my current program?