Unofficial acceptance?

sea_shell

A potential PI contacted me 3 weeks ago to offer me a spot in her lab and to let me know that the graduate school selected me. However, I have yet to hear anything official from the school... should I be worried? I contacted her a week after her original message to me to say I had not heard anything yet and she said she would look into it. Two weeks later..still radio silence. 

Should I write to her again or keep waiting it out? I would love to work in her lab, but I can't commit to anything before I hear details of my offer from the school. 

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks!

A very similar situation here! I had an interview with a potential PI before Christmas and he told me that I am accepted and an offer letter will come as soon as possible. I emailed him on January 2nd to ask when could be the date for the official letter to come and he told me that they will send the official offer letter as soon as they send the first admits. I still do not have the letter.

I think you should check the results search in this webpage and if there are other admits from the same department & school you can contact them again. Otherwise you can wait. That is what I am doing.

Well it may be a few things. First of all, usually a professor/department recommends you for admission and then sends that recommendation to the graduate school who then officially admits you. That means there's usually a cutoff for GPA (generally 3.0) etc. that the school expects from its graduate students.

I wouldn't panic if you haven't gotten it, sometimes these things just take time. Plus, they might be waiting until they know what kind of financial package they can offer you.

I have great rapport with the graduate secretary at my most recent interview, who upon calling to provide information about reimbursed expenses informed me that I was accepted. *squeals*. That was a little over a week ago, so I'm assuming that maybe there are separate meetings for acceptances and funding OR my package may be delayed due to the bad weather NYs bee having as of late. If nothing comes by next Tuesday, I will shoot her an email.