Hunter MSW Fall 2014

SenegalRPCV

I also got accepted and will be going! I don't know of any forums for new students but this is their facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/SilbermanSSW

Maybe we can start a separate discussion for those who will go to Hunter.

Also which pre-orientation are people attending? I'm going to the one on June 12th.

someone started this: 

this group is for current students and alums: https://www.facebook.com/groups/50654613826/ it's the only one I've been able to find on FB

i got into both hunter and nyu. im petrified of the nyu price tag but when i went to hunter for my interview i was extremely uncomfortable in the neighborhood. as i was walking from the train men were making slurping sounds at me and whistling, its not like a i was wearing revealing clothes i wore long dress pants flats and a long coat so it wasnt something that was on me. i have no clue what to do. is anyone in the same boat?

Hey, I also got into NYU and Hunter. NYU's neighborhood is fantastic but Hunter is way cheaper. I also dont know how their training differs. I have no idea what to do. Helpppp

Applied just before February, probably cutting it close. Not sure how things work in terms of writing samples when you're an out-of-state applicant. I know they do Skype interviews. Anyone have additional info?

Also, what would be housing plans for you all if accepted? Even though it's relatively inexpensive compared to other NYC schools, cost of living is so high + tuition! 

Hey, how did you decide on Hunter vs. NYU?

Hi NatalieM, 

I really struggled to make a decision, but I ultimately went with Hunter. My decision had more to do with cost, since I would have been happy to attend either program. I know NYU is more clinically focused, but a lot of clinical experience comes after MSW--plus, I hear Hunter's clinical track is also really good. 

I took time to find NYU and Hunter students/grads to ask around their experiences there. Each had great things to say and shared their challenges at their program as well (but I think both schools had a lot in common with regard to this. Ex. Awesome/awful teachers and discussion facilitators, professors are available). 

One thing that did stand out was that Hunter does a lot less "hand holding" than NYU in some areas, which appears to have a more active networking dynamic. I think this is noticeable in my experience just through email communication. NYU has sent me at least 6 emails with information/welcome messages and events/reminders and deadlines, whereas I have had to call Hunter about 5 times to figure out what the next steps are. I can deal with it, though. I'm moving to NYC and am low income, so I'm trying to accumulate as little debt as possible and choosing Hunter will help me reduce that amount significantly. 

Hey, I also got into NYU and Hunter. NYU's neighborhood is fantastic but Hunter is way cheaper. I also dont know how their training differs. I have no idea what to do. Helpppp

I also got into NYU and HUnter and am going with Hunter (price tag), and I realized that the neighborhood only made me uncomfortable the very first time that I went down to the college.  I have gone once for the interview, and once to drop off my transcript.  The first time I was really scared, but the next time I went, I went via Lexington Ave. and I felt OK.

Annabannana I will be there too!

Hey, what will we be doing at pre-orientation, registering for classes?  What forms/or what do we need to bring along?  When will we be notified of our field placement?

Hey, what will we be doing at pre-orientation, registering for classes?  What forms/or what do we need to bring along?  When will we be notified of our field placement?

I have pre-orientation tomorrow night so I can answer some of these questions tomorrow. I actually went for my interview for field placement last week. 

Wonder how things are working and moving along for out-of-state admitted students. 

No word yet on field placement/financial aid/registration or anything else, really. If anyone has more information, please share. 

Wonder how things are working and moving along for out-of-state admitted students. 

No word yet on field placement/financial aid/registration or anything else, really. If anyone has more information, please share. 

have you submitted the field placement form? They brought in reps from financial aid and admissions to answer questions. I don't think you are behind any of the other two year students.

Not yet, since they seem to base field placements on where a student will be living, and I don't plan to move there until late July/early August (and probably won't find a place until July), so I don't think I can submit it yet. 

have you submitted the field placement form? They brought in reps from financial aid and admissions to answer questions. I don't think you are behind any of the other two year students.

Did the students register for classes at pre-orientation?  Was everyone's CUNYfirst account created?  Were the reps letting pple know on their personal financial aid pkg, or just general answers?  What was basically accomplished at pre-orientation?

Tnx for answering

Did the students register for classes at pre-orientation?  Was everyone's CUNYfirst account created?  Were the reps letting pple know on their personal financial aid pkg, or just general answers?  What was basically accomplished at pre-orientation?

Tnx for answering

No we didnt register. but they told us exactly what to register for and if there are any specific sections being needed based on if you are advanced standing or your field of practice specialization. General answers for financial aid. You basically get general information thats needed now and what you need to get done sooner than later, and the contact information for the people who can help you out if needed moving forward.

No we didnt register. but they told us exactly what to register for and if there are any specific sections being needed based on if you are advanced standing or your field of practice specialization. General answers for financial aid. You basically get general information thats needed now and what you need to get done sooner than later, and the contact information for the people who can help you out if needed moving forward.

Thank you.  That was helpful!

Can someone tell me how health insurance works when we are enrolled in school full time? This might be a really stupid questions ….

Tomorrow is my last day at my job and I'm taking the summer off before school starts, so I need to make sure I figure out health coverage from now until then, and if I enroll in whatever Hunter offers … 

Thanks in advance!