Hunter MSW Fall 2014

SenegalRPCV

Finally got notified about my interview dates today but it's moot for me at this point. I don't have time to wait another two weeks to interview and then a potential two months for a decision with two other schools demanding my response within the next two weeks. Not to mention the hassles I've seen people have with Skype interviews. Probably just going to withdraw my app. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by ssllove

Ugh, I still haven't heard anything from Hunter and can't get anyone to answer my phone calls. I hope they didn't lose my application.

I called Mr. Angulo on a Friday, his phone office hours are from 3-5. He was able to pull up my application to make sure it was complete and hadn't fallen through the cracks. The number is 212-396-7627.

I applied to Hunter around late January, early February. And I haven't heard anything. I got accepted to Boston College and Boston University. They want to hear back from me soon...even though BU was my top choice, I'm anxious to hear from Hunter.

I called Mr. Angulo on a Friday, his phone office hours are from 3-5. He was able to pull up my application to make sure it was complete and hadn't fallen through the cracks. The number is 212-396-7627.

Thanks! Do you know what time you called exactly? Because I tried to call him on Friday as well around 3 and no one picked up. I tried several times until 5 and kept getting his voicemail.

Thanks! Do you know what time you called exactly? Because I tried to call him on Friday as well around 3 and no one picked up. I tried several times until 5 and kept getting his voicemail.

It was around 3:15 and he picked up himself.

Hello Everyone. I applied for Fall 2013 to Hunters MSW Program and was asked to take a non-matriculated course, which I have taken and passed. I re-applied for this Fall 2014 in February and my application was finally submitted March 11th, 2014. I check the app website for an answer and I saw Pending program decision and now two days later the app had a pending dean decision. Has anyone been through this situation as I have? Also does someone know what comes next, such as interview, accepted/rejected? Any thoughts would be appreciated and good luck.

Thanks! Did he also say anything about when you should expect to hear about a decision or interview for your application?

I spoke to him on 3/21, my status changed to pending interview on 3/23, the email to schedule my interview came on 3/26, I interviewed on 4/2 and was accepted  on 4/3. So excited.

Hello Everybody,

I have been reading this topic since the beginning, waiting for somebody to post my situation. It hasn't happened yet, so I registered to ask you guys - maybe there is somebody out there walking in my shoes.

I submitted my application in late February, but it didn't become completed until March 11. I had to take the TOEFL test, and the result came in late - but since I asked them to oversee the delay, it wasn't an issue. Beside that, the day I got the "green light" for the extension, I also got an email saying that they extended the deadline for all applicants until April 1st.

Last Saturday (March 22) my application status changed from completed to PENDING PROGRAM DECISION.

Since everybody talking about PENDING INTERVIEW, and there is only two posts about this status on the "WorldWideWeb", I'm asking if anybody knows what does it means.

The day I saw the "pending program decision", my brain went haywire.

Maybe they want to interview the ones came on time. Maybe they want to offer me a different program (of course they don't), maybe maybe maybe ...

If anyone knows what exactly this means, or had the same experience, please share.

Thank you, and best of luck to everybody!

Edited by plazmasas

I applied to Hunter from January 28, 2014, everything was finalized by January 31st.

My online application still says PENDING PROGRAM DECISION. I call them no answer:( When I sent the admissions office an email a note at the bottom said ...all decisions will be in by May 1st. I think this is ridiculous, when I did apply to other schools. I am going to call back today. Hopefully someone can help me.

I applied to Boston College around the same time and I heard back from them already...plus they want my decision in few days. What could be taking Hunter so long?

On the section of the website, it says not everyone will be interviewed. But not sure how up to date that is.

Hello Everybody,

I have been reading this topic since the beginning, waiting for somebody to post my situation. It hasn't happened yet, so I registered to ask you guys - maybe there is somebody out there walking in my shoes.

I submitted my application in late February, but it didn't become completed until March 11. I had to take the TOEFL test, and the result came in late - but since I asked them to oversee the delay, it wasn't an issue. Beside that, the day I got the "green light" for the extension, I also got an email saying that they extended the deadline for all applicants until April 1st.

Last Saturday (March 22) my application status changed from completed to PENDING PROGRAM DECISION.

Since everybody talking about PENDING INTERVIEW, and there is only two posts about this status on the "WorldWideWeb", I'm asking if anybody knows what does it means.

The day I saw the "pending program decision", my brain went haywire.

Maybe they want to interview the ones came on time. Maybe they want to offer me a different program (of course they don't), maybe maybe maybe ...

If anyone knows what exactly this means, or had the same experience, please share.

Thank you, and best of luck to everybody!

I spoke to him on 3/21, my status changed to pending interview on 3/23, the email to schedule my interview came on 3/26, I interviewed on 4/2 and was accepted  on 4/3. So excited.

Congrats! Are you going?

My application finally says Pending Interview as of today!! So hopefully things can be settled soon.

Congrats! Are you going?

My application finally says Pending Interview as of today!! So hopefully things can be settled soon.

Congrats! Are you going?

Sounds like things are moving along. Hopefully you will get the email by midweek. And yes I will be attending, but I will be in the advanced standing program

. If you have any questions about the interview process let me know.

Awesome. Congrats.

And yes In terms of the interview, what questions did they ask? How many students were interviewed at once? How long was the whole process?

Thanks!!

The questions were right in line with what Linclon Love and others have said in this post.

-what is your work experience and how does it relate to social work, and why did you choose hunter.

-How do you define your social identity. What are the implications that your social identity can have on your work

-A short vignette that the moderator reads and the group discusses how they would address it

-20 minute writing sample.

There were 8 students being interviews in total. 5 students were there for the two year program, 2 for advanced standing and 1 for the OYR program. The whole process took around an hour and a half. The moderator was really easy going and let the group know exactly what she was looking for. If the program is right for you and you it, things will go really smoothly. I think there was great importance paid in not just your answers but how you functioned in the group and listened to and bounced ideas off of the other potential students. The best thing that happened was being there early and getting to talk to each other informally. Really helped to calm nerves.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much!! This is very helpful!

The questions were right in line with what Linclon Love and others have said in this post.

-what is your work experience and how does it relate to social work, and why did you choose hunter.

-How do you define your social identity. What are the implications that your social identity can have on your work

-A short vignette that the moderator reads and the group discusses how they would address it

-20 minute writing sample.

There were 8 students being interviews in total. 5 students were there for the two year program, 2 for advanced standing and 1 for the OYR program. The whole process took around an hour and a half. The moderator was really easy going and let the group know exactly what she was looking for. If the program is right for you and you it, things will go really smoothly. I think there was great importance paid in not just your answers but how you functioned in the group and listened to and bounced ideas off of the other potential students. The best thing that happened was being there early and getting to talk to each other informally. Really helped to calm nerves.

Hope this helps.

Found out I was accepted to Hunter today!  :D I was totally expecting a rejection since my Skype interview was a little over 3 weeks ago. 

Good luck to everyone that's still waiting for an answer. 

i got into both hunter and nyu. im petrified of the nyu price tag but when i went to hunter for my interview i was extremely uncomfortable in the neighborhood. as i was walking from the train men were making slurping sounds at me and whistling, its not like a i was wearing revealing clothes i wore long dress pants flats and a long coat so it wasnt something that was on me. i have no clue what to do. is anyone in the same boat?

• 2 weeks later...

i got into both hunter and nyu. im petrified of the nyu price tag but when i went to hunter for my interview i was extremely uncomfortable in the neighborhood. as i was walking from the train men were making slurping sounds at me and whistling, its not like a i was wearing revealing clothes i wore long dress pants flats and a long coat so it wasnt something that was on me. i have no clue what to do. is anyone in the same boat?

Hi Amanda,

My ex-boyfriend lived in the neighborhood and I used to be up there every weekend.  I really never felt uncomfortable.  I'm not sure what population you want to work with, but I feel as though you're going to be in areas similar to East Harlem a lot in the social work field.  You can get unwelcome attention no matter where you go, and you're going to find good and bad people anywhere you go also.  I wouldn't base my future on a couple of immature guys and preconceived notions of a neighborhood.  Maybe go there again one weekend and just explore a bit more.  There's fantastic places to eat and shop.  Give it another try

I also got accepted and will be going! I don't know of any forums for new students but this is their facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/SilbermanSSW

Maybe we can start a separate discussion for those who will go to Hunter.

Also which pre-orientation are people attending? I'm going to the one on June 12th.