Fall 2014 PhD Programs

Yeah I don't think they have sent any results yet it sure is taking a while wasn't the deadline in early december? I believe they would email you first with the letter.

Did you get funding at any programs? FSU said they only funded 12% of admitted applicants this year so its true they accept many but only fund a few of them. They have a lot of PhD students so I am surprised so many go there without funding .

I think they are one of the schools that take their time.. lol

Yeah, I got funded at UF, FSU, Albany, and Northeastern. Just waiting to hear back from Maryland. You?

Also, I've talked a lot with FSU students. Even though it would be hard to go into the program unfunded, I heard they are very good about getting students funded.

Guest criminologist

Wow your qualifications must be great :o. Do you have research experience or a thesis?

I didn't get any acceptances with funding, only heard from FSU so far and still awaiting decision from UMD and SC.

Guest criminologist

Lol, thanks, but I don't feel like I have amazing qualifications. I volunteered a couple years in psych labs. For the last year, I have been working with a professor at the school I went to. He has helped me a lot when it comes to preparing for grad school, and we are working on a paper right now. I definitely think it helps to have someone like that to back you.

Of course it's great to have funding, but if you want to go, I think FSU is a great program. It sounds like if you put in the effort, you will be funded. I know it's scary to think about going anywhere unfunded though.

UMD is the last school I'm waiting on. Of course I would love to get in, but I have also heard that the atmosphere is pretty cut throat.

Well I am just surprised that they can only fund so few students when they have an entire College devoted to criminology. But who knows maybe they are the best PhD program in the country now (US News rankings are way outdated) and they don't even need to fund a lot of people and they still go anyway.

Guest criminologist

The grad rankings are from 2009 though, US News never updated them like they do the other programs. Probably because criminology is not a popular major. Wonder what they would look if they updated last year.

That seems like something most people determine early on in their decision making process when choosing schools. From your previous posts you've already been accepted to 4 schools with full funding and essentially holding those spots hostage until you pick one. That's really unfair to everyone on those waitlists who are probably riddled with anxiety hoping to hear something. If you've been accepted to 4 schools then yeah, your qualifications are great. Most people are ecstatic enough to get accepted to 1, let alone 4. 

I don't think someone is being unfair by waiting to decide on multiple admission offers. There are many variables that are unknown like funding opportunities that you can estimate before applying but until a formal offer is extended; the full picture has yet to be painted. Funding can vary from year to year and you just don't know until it is in writing.

Even after funding offers have been extended, a top applicant who has been accepted into multiple programs may be looking at funding offers evolving from this competition.

I do not deny that being on a waitlist is full of anxiety but blaming the people who have been accepted makes as much sense to me as those who have been denied blaming those who are on the waitlist.

That seems like something most people determine early on in their decision making process when choosing schools. From your previous posts you've already been accepted to 4 schools with full funding and essentially holding those spots hostage until you pick one. That's really unfair to everyone on those waitlists who are probably riddled with anxiety hoping to hear something. If you've been accepted to 4 schools then yeah, your qualifications are great. Most people are ecstatic enough to get accepted to 1, let alone 4. 

Sorry you feel that way, but no, most people don't have a school chosen. Actually, I personally think you are making a mistake if you are choosing a school before you have any information about it, such as funding or visiting it to get the feel of the atmosphere. I am certainly not going to deny a school before visiting. I wouldn't have applied to the schools if I couldn't see myself at each one of them.

As you would have read as well, I just turned down a school yesterday, which was two days after visiting. I can promise you that is a very fast decision time, and most applicants will take longer. I'm not holding spots hostage. 

And, although I am not saying it's right to hold a spot when you know you will not be accepting, most schools know that around 50% of admitted students will turn down the offer. They fund more and accept more people than they have room for. 

Finally, I don't even think I have extraordinary qualifications, but I did work hard to get into the programs. I think I should have the right to take time deciding between programs that I am seriously considering. 

I have been on waitlists. This isn't my first time applying to graduate school. I think you should understand picking a school is just as stressful as getting in. 

Guest criminologist

What is your opionoin of UF's Criminology program, do you think it is as good as FSU?

Sorry you feel that way, but no, most people don't have a school chosen. Actually, I personally think you are making a mistake if you are choosing a school before you have any information about it, such as funding or visiting it to get the feel of the atmosphere. I am certainly not going to deny a school before visiting. I wouldn't have applied to the schools if I couldn't see myself at each one of them.

As you would have read as well, I just turned down a school yesterday, which was two days after visiting. I can promise you that is a very fast decision time, and most applicants will take longer. I'm not holding spots hostage. 

And, although I am not saying it's right to hold a spot when you know you will not be accepting, most schools know that around 50% of admitted students will turn down the offer. They fund more and accept more people than they have room for. 

Finally, I don't even think I have extraordinary qualifications, but I did work hard to get into the programs. I think I should have the right to take time deciding between programs that I am seriously considering. 

I have been on waitlists. This isn't my first time applying to graduate school. I think you should understand picking a school is just as stressful as getting in. 

Good day all! I see that a few of amongst the group have received some offers and are waiting to make decisions. I've got a question that I'm hoping someone can answer or at least provide some insight on.

If you are entering a doctoral program having completed a masters, what would you consider a good funding offer as it relates to time? For instance, if you were accepted to University of ------ with full funding, what extent of time would you expect to receive funding for (i.e - 3 years, 4 years, etc)? I know this may differ amongst schools/programs, but it's something that helps (in my opinion) in determining if you'll accept their offer.

Thoughts?

Good day all! I see that a few of amongst the group have received some offers and are waiting to make decisions. I've got a question that I'm hoping someone can answer or at least provide some insight on.

If you are entering a doctoral program having completed a masters, what would you consider a good funding offer as it relates to time? For instance, if you were accepted to University of ------ with full funding, what extent of time would you expect to receive funding for (i.e - 3 years, 4 years, etc)? I know this may differ amongst schools/programs, but it's something that helps (in my opinion) in determining if you'll accept their offer.

Thoughts?

I know that Cincinnati only provides funding for three years. After that you have to apply for grants to fund yourself. I'm not sure if it's really that bad though because I knew someone who took 7 years to complete the program. I don't know the details, but he conducted a whole lot of research during that time and was the director of a rehabilitation clinic.

Thoughts?

If all else is equal or approximately equal, I would recommend choosing a program that fully funds you for however long their program is supposed to (typically) take.  I'm fortuante to have that deal where I am, and I cannot imagine the stress of trying to find my own funding for the next year or two.  A PhD program will put so many demands on you already that trying to find money so you don't live in a box isn't one you need if it can be avoided.  Sure, some people get full time jobs to cover living expenses, but that takes so much time away from research, publishing, teaching, and other professional responsibilities that you will need to have if you want to be competitive on the academic job market.  If your goal isn't to stay in academia, then perhaps the funding will be less of a concern, but it is a serious thing to take into consideration.  Good luck!

If all else is equal or approximately equal, I would recommend choosing a program that fully funds you for however long their program is supposed to (typically) take.  I'm fortuante to have that deal where I am, and I cannot imagine the stress of trying to find my own funding for the next year or two.  A PhD program will put so many demands on you already that trying to find money so you don't live in a box isn't one you need if it can be avoided.  Sure, some people get full time jobs to cover living expenses, but that takes so much time away from research, publishing, teaching, and other professional responsibilities that you will need to have if you want to be competitive on the academic job market.  If your goal isn't to stay in academia, then perhaps the funding will be less of a concern, but it is a serious thing to take into consideration.  Good luck!

Great points. I'm waiting for some replies reagrding average time to degree. That will definitely have a great bearing on my decision. Honestly, I worked full time during my masters which, as you mentioned, weighed heavily on my ability to conduct research, publish, etc. So, I'm not planning to go into a doctoral program and experience the same woes.

I know that Cincinnati only provides funding for three years. After that you have to apply for grants to fund yourself. I'm not sure if it's really that bad though because I knew someone who took 7 years to complete the program. I don't know the details, but he conducted a whole lot of research during that time and was the director of a rehabilitation clinic.

This sounds like a prime opportunity for someone that may have funding through their employment, or have some supplemental funding. Seven years seems more like a part time program, but I know it's different accros the board. My advisor worked his way through his PhD at the school, so his tuition was paid for by the university as an employee, not grad funding. So, while he went part time (took him 7 years), he never had to pay a dime. Lucky duck!

The whole idea of having to apply for grants or find funding for yourself in your last years makes me weary!

http://www.adpccj.com/documents/2013survey.pdf

The above link is an interesting survey that includes information about funding. They say that the average stipend in just over 16k.

I think the expected length of program and cost of living for the area are major factors. For me, I am not looking to create such a financial burden that my academic progress would be restricted. I'm not looking to be rich and I'm not even expecting to have money left over to save but if a funding offer cannot make ends meet because of the cost of living and length of the program I'm not sure how committed the program is to their student's success. A low funding offer also makes me question the stability of the program.

Getting your PhD is challenging without having to worry about finding a summer job every year and without having to worry about funding dropping off after three years. If you are entering with your master's degree I would also expect the program to recognize that value and fund accordingly. Maybe this is coming off as entitled but I have found through the corporate world that if an employer is trying to squeeze profit out of you in the beginning they will likely abuse you in the future and view you as expendable (which we are).

I recognize that most of us (including me) can be very swiftly replaced with another candidate with very similar credentials and am grateful for any and all funding offers. However, I think the funding offer from a program is the single greatest indicator of that program's commitment to your success. We have a lot to offer the program and there is no reason to settle for a sub par program or funding offer if you are lucky enough to have options. As one example if you are assisting in an online class as a TA you should understand the amount of money these classes are bringing in and how grad students facilitate this cash flow.

http://www.adpccj.com/documents/2013survey.pdf

The above link is an interesting survey that includes information about funding. They say that the average stipend in just over 16k.

I think the expected length of program and cost of living for the area are major factors. For me, I am not looking to create such a financial burden that my academic progress would be restricted. I'm not looking to be rich and I'm not even expecting to have money left over to save but if a funding offer cannot make ends meet because of the cost of living and length of the program I'm not sure how committed the program is to their student's success. A low funding offer also makes me question the stability of the program.

Getting your PhD is challenging without having to worry about finding a summer job every year and without having to worry about funding dropping off after three years. If you are entering with your master's degree I would also expect the program to recognize that value and fund accordingly. Maybe this is coming off as entitled but I have found through the corporate world that if an employer is trying to squeeze profit out of you in the beginning they will likely abuse you in the future and view you as expendable (which we are).

I recognize that most of us (including me) can be very swiftly replaced with another candidate with very similar credentials and am grateful for any and all funding offers. However, I think the funding offer from a program is the single greatest indicator of that program's commitment to your success. We have a lot to offer the program and there is no reason to settle for a sub par program or funding offer if you are lucky enough to have options. As one example if you are assisting in an online class as a TA you should understand the amount of money these classes are bringing in and how grad students facilitate this cash flow.

Thanks for the link! I didn't even think about checking stats on ADPCCJ (although I used them for research when starting applications). In all honesty, I agree with you 100%. I'm potentially uprooting my family to relocate to another state, so it is definitely true that cost of living in conjunction with funding will help drive my decision. We'll see where the wind blows after I receive some answers to these questions.

Great points. I'm waiting for some replies reagrding average time to degree. That will definitely have a great bearing on my decision. Honestly, I worked full time during my masters which, as you mentioned, weighed heavily on my ability to conduct research, publish, etc. So, I'm not planning to go into a doctoral program and experience the same woes.

This sounds like a prime opportunity for someone that may have funding through their employment, or have some supplemental funding. Seven years seems more like a part time program, but I know it's different accros the board. My advisor worked his way through his PhD at the school, so his tuition was paid for by the university as an employee, not grad funding. So, while he went part time (took him 7 years), he never had to pay a dime. Lucky duck!

The whole idea of having to apply for grants or find funding for yourself in your last years makes me weary!

I recommend that you look at the course outline and proposed schedule to finish.  Also, be sure to ask current students how long it typically takes to finish.  At one school that I was considering, the faculty said I could get out in 3.5 years since I came in with an MA.  When I mentioned that to the actual students, they laughed because it's impossible to get out in earlier than 5 there.  Students will be more honest.  One other caution against takin too long to finish, this will harm you in grant applications and on the job market.  My advisor has pulled me into reviewing grant applications with him and serve on an academic search committee - people that take too long to graduate signal that they'll be slow to publish once they're out. 

I know this is a lot of info and a hard decision to make.  Good luck!

Edited by bluthsbananas

My biggest obstacle is that I've had to work full time through my bachelor's and master's degrees. I've had to struggle with mandatory overtime and balancing my coursework for a decade. It's been terrible. The sad part is that I have never been able to get job in the CJ field, so I have ten years work experience as a forklift driver. It's awful sitting in an interview and trying to explain why I have a master's degree and drive a forklift. It's a huge problem getting in the doctoral program too. They would rather have someone with six months research experience than someone who has ten years in a factory.

I know there are plenty of other people in worse circumstances (it's better than having no job at all), but it does make the application process much more stressful. I see the phd program as my only way out. It's a lot of pressure to be relying on a committee of strangers.

I think February is my least favorite month now. So much for staying positive!

Guest criminologist

My biggest obstacle is that I've had to work full time through my bachelor's and master's degrees. I've had to struggle with mandatory overtime and balancing my coursework for a decade. It's been terrible. The sad part is that I have never been able to get job in the CJ field, so I have ten years work experience as a forklift driver. It's awful sitting in an interview and trying to explain why I have a master's degree and drive a forklift. It's a huge problem getting in the doctoral program too. They would rather have someone with six months research experience than someone who has ten years in a factory.

I know there are plenty of other people in worse circumstances (it's better than having no job at all), but it does make the application process much more stressful. I see the phd program as my only way out. It's a lot of pressure to be relying on a committee of strangers.

I think February is my least favorite month now. So much for staying positive!

Well I have heard that applicants to PhD programs who have a master's degree are usually held to a higher standard since typically would not be fresh out of school and therefore are expected to have accomplished more in the field. So it could actually be more difficult for someone with a master's to get in a PhD program compared to someone with only a BA but who has good qualifications. Its unfortunate cause one of the reasons why some people go into master's programs is because they don't have much experience which is what I did. For instance some programs like FSU require that MA applicants have completed a thesis or equivalent research paper when BA applicants only need a writing sample. It shows that PhD programs expect more from Master's applicants even if they don't require one for entry. 

Edited by gz390