Fall 2014 PhD Programs

Any phd that is 3 yrs just seems too short to me. Coursework and dissertation and comps what a rush. Maryland is 5 minimum Rutgers 4, Albany 4

That is with a masters, if I am correct.. Seems possible. Programs vary with how they take incoming masters students and what credits they will take. 

Guest criminologist

I contacted UMD today, they said that the decisions were made and that they will be coming in the mail, said the online portal would be updated over the weekend. 

I really hate this whole process. 

Every time I get a rejection it makes me feel like no matter how much I try to improve myself, still no program wants me. 

Guest criminologist

How are you improving yourself?

Anyway I was surprised they did not tell me whether I was accepted or not even though a decision was made since apparently they have already called/emailed some people telling they were accepted/rejected.  :blink:

TheGirl, did you get a call from a secretary or the program director?

I completed a second masters degree (the first was part of a combined degree program with my undergrad). I've worked in 3 separate labs doing data collection, lit reviews, running participants and so on, designed and implemented a completely new survey for my master's thesis. I'm attempting to get published, I'm a contributing author on a new book on American Crime which is being put together by one of the big names in Criminal Justice research.  

Guest criminologist

I completed a second masters degree (the first was part of a combined degree program with my undergrad). I've worked in 3 separate labs doing data collection, lit reviews, running participants and so on, designed and implemented a completely new survey for my master's thesis. I'm attempting to get published, I'm a contributing author on a new book on American Crime which is being put together by one of the big names in Criminal Justice research.  

That is a lot of research experience. Have you though that you might be overqualified for PhD programs or it may have to do with fit. It seems a lot of schools like them fresh out of undergrad.

I don't know if it helps, but even though I'm desperate and miserable, if I were on the committee I would definitely accept you before my own application. There are still a few schools that haven't released thier results yet. If we both applied to the same ones you are a shoe-in before me. But there may still be people who would beat us both.

I hope that makes you feel proportionately better as it makes me feel worse. Happiness is a zero-sum game.

Cruel fates that turn us against each other! Think of the crime we could stop if we all worked together!

I don't think you can be overqualified to do a PhD. Two of the individuals who were in the same lab as me during my master's were PhDs students under the same professor I was. One was coming from several years as a successful lawyer and the other from a successful career in computers (both changing paths to pursue clinical psy.).

Guest criminologist

Got an email this morning asking me to check the decision online in the ASF. The message says my app is not ready to be processed and to try again letter

Anyone else went to check and saw this error

Edited by gz390

Yes, they do require a master's and they seemingly give you full credit for having it. I am thrilled at the opportunity to study with Dr. Nicole Leeper Piquero for my personal research interests and also learn from accomplished professors like Dr. John Worrall and Dr. Alex Piquero.

I have withdrawn my application from South Carolina and South Florida where I had also been accepted. I've officially committed to the University of Texas at Dallas!!

Yes, they do require a master's and they seemingly give you full credit for having it. I am thrilled at the opportunity to study with Dr. Nicole Leeper Piquero for my personal research interests and also learn from accomplished professors like Dr. John Worrall and Dr. Alex Piquero.

I have withdrawn my application from South Carolina and South Florida where I had also been accepted. I've officially committed to the University of Texas at Dallas!!

Congratulations. Did you already hear from Cincinnati then?

This isn't a selfish question to gauge my chances. I've already been informally rejected. I have some sappy hero-worship for the researchers in Cincinnati, so I imagine everyone else does too.

Guest criminologist

Well I finally received the rejection letter from UMD. I am thinking that my recommendation letters/GRE scores weren't strong enough to get  accepted into the No.1 program regardless of GPA and relevant major and courses..

Congratulations. Did you already hear from Cincinnati then?

This isn't a selfish question to gauge my chances. I've already been informally rejected. I have some sappy hero-worship for the researchers in Cincinnati, so I imagine everyone else does too.

I haven't heard from Cincinnati at all since I applied in December. Is this normal? I tried calling Friday but the lady answering the phone yelled "What!" so I hung up. I'm not giving my name if they're in a bad mood. I sent two emails in February but didn't get replies.

Why cant they send an update email that says "we're reviewing wave 2 now" or something. It's like they want to stress out the applicants to test their dedication.

If anyone hears back from them please let us know. I've been rejected from 5 other schools and this is my last chance. Good luck everyone.

CJ undergrad 3.4

Masters 3.9

GRE V 165 Q 155 AW 5.5

No publications, 5 years corrections experience

I haven't heard from Cincinnati at all since I applied in December. Is this normal? I tried calling Friday but the lady answering the phone yelled "What!" so I hung up. I'm not giving my name if they're in a bad mood. I sent two emails in February but didn't get replies.

Why cant they send an update email that says "we're reviewing wave 2 now" or something. It's like they want to stress out the applicants to test their dedication.

If anyone hears back from them please let us know. I've been rejected from 5 other schools and this is my last chance. Good luck everyone.

CJ undergrad 3.4

Masters 3.9

GRE V 165 Q 155 AW 5.5

No publications, 5 years corrections experience

I broke down and emailed the professor who referred me. He told me I was not being considered anymore, but I still haven't gotten official notification. I don't know why they are holding back letters if they've already decided. Maybe they have a big waiting list and they don't want to leave anyone out. I won't get my hopes up. He made it seem like I was not qualified to compete even though he offered to refer me. Devistating. UC was my 1st choice and I only have one more school pending.

If I get a letter I'll post on the results page and let you know. Good luck.

Ixnay Pennsylvania State. What about American U and University of Illinois at Chicago?

shanbethh, I received my acceptance from American University about two weeks ago (I found out by checking the website but also received an email notification the following day).  I know of a classmate who received her rejection from University of Illinois at Chicago around the same time, perhaps a few days later (although I'm not sure whether it was through the website or by email).

So here is the skinny on Maryland:

3 Faculty members review each application. If all three write acceptance, you get to be further reviewed. If 1 or more write acceptance, you might be further reviewed depending on the applicant pool of that year, but generally the application is further scrutinized. There are generally more faculty who write acceptance than there are spots.

This year had 10 spots with over 100 applicants. 

They do want as close to perfect GPAs as possible. While I think the cut off was 3.0 - faculty see it as a red flag if you have a Masters degree and have below a 3.5-3.6. They are more lenient with only Undergrad GPAs. Good GREs can compensate for this. If you have low GREs - you GPA better be high if you want any shot. If both are questionable you better have the most stellar LORs to address how awesome you are and that despite a weak such and such - you are excellent. 

They favor people without Master's degrees in a roughly 60/40 ratio in part because they want their students to be able to take some of those master's level classes. If you come in with those already - they have less people to fill lose seats. 

Ixnay Pennsylvania State. What about American U and University of Illinois at Chicago?

I applied to University of Illinois at Chicago as well and have not heard anything back yet. I emailed admissions about two weeks ago and they said to expect a decision around this time. I am so nervous because this is my top choice! Has anyone else heard anything from them?

Guest criminologist

3 Faculty members review each application. If all three write acceptance, you get to be further reviewed. If 1 or more write acceptance, you might be further reviewed depending on the applicant pool of that year, but generally the application is further scrutinized. There are generally more faculty who write acceptance than there are spots.

They do want as close to perfect GPAs as possible. While I think the cut off was 3.0 - faculty see it as a red flag if you have a Masters degree and have below a 3.5-3.6. They are more lenient with only Undergrad GPAs. Good GREs can compensate for this. If you have low GREs - you GPA better be high if you want any shot. If both are questionable you better have the most stellar LORs to address how awesome you are and that despite a weak such and such - you are excellent. 

They favor people without Master's degrees in a roughly 60/40 ratio in part because they want their students to be able to take some of those master's level classes. If you come in with those already - they have less people to fill lose seats. 

Thanks for the information, who told you that? I didn't think they would have that many apply. I thought maybe 60-70 people.

I though they had a preference for people with only undergrad degrees seeing as most of their PHD students only had BA's (I had a masters). My GPAs were my strong point but my GREs/LoRs were average, I am happy with my choice so not too disappointed.

Edited by criminologist

Thanks for the information, who told you that? I didn't think they would have that many apply. I thought maybe 60-70 people.

I though they had a preference for people with only undergrad degrees seeing as most of their PHD students only had BA's (I had a masters). My GPAs were my strong point but my GREs/LoRs were average, I am happy with my choice so not too disappointed.

Someone in the department. 

That is shocking and terrifying. Why in the world would they prefer students who have less education and haven't proven they can do graduate level work? Just to fill a quota? I'm biased, but this doesn't seem to make any sense.

On the plus side, if I'm completely rejected I have something to blame besides myself. I can hold a grudge against this ridiculous process. I think Sykes and Matza might say I'm neutralizing my conscience, but I'll take all the comfort I can get right now.