Fall 2014 PhD Programs

Guest criminologist

Yeah its unfortunate for us applicants with MAs, if i had known this in advance i would have never submitted my graduate school transcript. I would had a better chance of getting accepted.

Do they also prefer candidates who don't have criminology/criminal justice degrees? I see most of their students majored in psychology/sociology.

Guest criminologist

I majored in psychology. Part of the policy as stated on their page is if you have any other major you have to make up for that by taking additional crim classes. 

It is just shocking to me they accept so many BA-only students into their PhD program from no-name schools or who did not even major in criminology/criminal justice. I was told their average UGPA of admitted applicants is only 3.6 as well.

I was accepted into University of Illinois Chicago's PhD program and intend to formally accept once I receive the official letter. I was also accepted to FSU, University of South Florida, and George Mason. I emailed UIC and asked about the status of my application and the program director emailed me back and said I was one of only 5 selected out of 98 applicants. Small pool! This was my top choice so I am thrilled. They are trying to secure funding for all five applicants before sending out the letters. I still haven't heard anything from American U, which is really irritating. 

Congrats on UI, Shanbeth!

At this point I think I have narrowed my choices down to Cincinnati and American, which seems like a weird choice but makes sense for my research interests.

Thanks Grrlfriend! I am bummed I didn't get into American (although I've received no word as of yet). If it helps at all, the PhD Criminologist who has been advising me through the application process says that DC is the BEST place to earn a PhD in Criminology just because of the location. You are in the center of where laws are made and the top of the chain criminological (is that a word??) organizations reside. Plus, American has a nice policy bent to their program. But Cincinnati is an awesome program. Either way, good luck making a decision! I formally accepted my offer from University of Illinois Chicago and turned down University of South Florida, FSU, and George Mason.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone planning to attend Old Dominion University? I finally officially committed this morning and I'm really excited--just trying to see if I can meet any potential people in my cohort!

kj_robison, congrats!  I spent the past couple weeks agonizing over my decision between ODU and American University.  I ultimately committed to American University this week; however, ODU is a great program and the professors all seem wonderful.  Best of luck!

• 10 months later...

Is the most recent post in this forum really from 2014???

It would appear that way. 

I'm a little jealous of all of the students who applied for schools that allow bachelor's students to apply straight into the Ph.D. programs. My top two schools for environmental crime prevention only allow bachelor's students to apply for the university's Master's Program.

What was worse was Simon Fraser's website indicated they do allow bachelor - Ph.D. but after my student adviser spoke with their graduate adviser he was like "No, sorry, that's not a real thing at this point. Not currently accepting of that situation."