Caltech or MIT for Chemical Engineering PhD ?

YoonC

Hi guys,

I have a tough decision between Caltech and MIT for chemical engineering PhD, and I have fundings for both programs.

I am wondering how competitive each program is and how difficult it is to pass the qualification exams at each school. Also, since the sizes of two schools are a lot different, the environments will be probably very different as well.

Do you guys have any opinions/suggestions about each school? I will really appreciate any help! Please give me any thoughts.

Thank you!

Wow congrats! Those are the two top programs in the country. I am an undergrad in EE at Caltech and I know that our ChemE department is probably the best out of all departments in terms of recognition and facilities. 

You really can't go wrong with either.

Wow congrats! Those are the two top programs in the country. I am an undergrad in EE at Caltech and I know that our ChemE department is probably the best out of all departments in terms of recognition and facilities. 

You really can't go wrong with either.

Hey TheMostPowrefulApplicant,  for what research focus have you applied for Stanford EE? Have you heard them back? Do you know when we must expect to hear them?

I think boston is a cooler city than pasadena. Also i tend to like the overall population of MIT better than those at Caltech. Since MIT is a liberal arts school you tend to meet people interested in all sorts of things. 

I think this is a perfect case where you should visit both and see how you feel about the department, people, city etc. Both cities are pretty cool, in my opinion, in their own ways, but this is a personal choice only you can decide for yourself!

Also, keep in mind that for any particular school, the graduate student population there tends to be very different from the undergraduate community at the same school! I think a lot of times, the general perception we get from schools comes from their undergraduate student body's reputation!

I think boston is a cooler city than pasadena. Also i tend to like the overall population of MIT better than those at Caltech. Since MIT is a liberal arts school you tend to meet people interested in all sorts of things. 

I'm not sure I'd call MIT a liberal arts school...I mean technically it has nonengineering/nonscience degrees, but they are pretty low enrollment. It just doesn't give off the liberal arts vibe. It is more happy geek paradise, but the grad students in general seem to have a good work/life balance. Regardless, I agree that there are a lot of very interesting folks in Cambridge, at MIT and otherwise. You also get cross-enrollment with Harvard if you feel like taking classes over there. Both schools have pretty savvy business-type folks if you want to capitalize on your degree  with a start-up or something. I also agree that Boston is generally a more interesting place than Pasadena. I know LA is close, but really unless you are living in the city you will have a hard time making it there on any regular basis.

Edited by Usmivka

I'm in a similar boat...I'm deciding between MIT, Caltech, and Stanford for chemical engineering. I'm strongly leaning to Stanford at the moment, but I'm hoping that the visit weekends will make the final decision for me. Any insight that people can give about any of these programs would be awesome. 

you lucky cat. Congrats.

I heard that the nerds at Caltech are way more hardcore than those at MIT. Friend of a friend at Caltech was completely burnt out all the time. When he got to MIT for postdoc, it was smooth sailing. I don't know if that's because a postdoc is more relaxed, but I believe the statement holds true at the undergrad level as well.

My east coast ChemE brother would tell you to go to Caltech/California in general. He seems to think (and by think, I mean he's certain) that's where all the cool people are going. He'll be joining you in that direction shortly.

you lucky cat. Congrats.

I heard that the nerds at Caltech are way more hardcore than those at MIT. Friend of a friend at Caltech was completely burnt out all the time. When he got to MIT for postdoc, it was smooth sailing. I don't know if that's because a postdoc is more relaxed, but I believe the statement holds true at the undergrad level as well.

I was at Caltech working on a summer research project during my undergrad. I LOVED the atmosphere, the city, totally agree with this "the geeks are way more hardcore" statement. Watch the movie "Real Genius." That is an accurate portrayal of what Caltech is like...well, except the popcorn stunt at the end. That being said, I was there in the summer. I heard from several UGs and grads that it is at times overwhelmingly intense. In fact, most of the UGs there do not go on to grad school in their respective fields; they've "burned out" by then. 

I know a few people from MIT. They do seem to have a better work/life balance and in general seem to be more relaxed. However, I think they lack some of the passion of their twins on the West Coast. Also, the weather is way better in Pasadena, but Boston is probably the more interesting city.

Go to the visitation weekends, and go with your gut. You really can't go wrong with either institution....congrats on these great acceptances!

omg, California is beautiful. the roads are well paved, the scenery is nice, there's lots to do (near metro areas), weather is awesome, and the cycling culture is INSANE. I would be willing to work my ass off in my PhD just so I can do a post doc with a professor at Stanford, who's a very successful researcher  in organic semiconductors. I thought moving to texas would be the answer to all my problems back in iowa, but no. the region I'm in is super redneck and boring, we're getting a cold front below freezing, and only few roads are very well maintained.

Hello!

I am an international applicant with the same dilemma. I have been offered at CalTech and MIT too! The extremely small size of the ChemE Department at CalTech is a bit scary ain't it? Additionally, are any of you guys making MIT for the March 6-9 th weekend? It should be cool to catch up :D

I have been told(hearsay with inherent bias from grad student at MIT) that if broadness and flexibilty in deciding what you want to work on is a big factor in your decision, than MIT is the way to go. He claims that CalTech spends way more time doing very niche work!

Cheers