Johns Hopkins MA in Communications?

Hi all,

I've recently been investigating my options for grad school, specifically online programs. My BA is in historic preservation/community planning and I have close to ten years in the various jobs, both related and unrelated to the field. Most of my work has been in municipal and state government. Since my undergrad was so specialized and since I have no hope of getting a job in the field in my current location (and I'm unable to move out-of-state for opportunities), I would like to diversify my education in hopes of a career change of sorts.

I'm a decent writer and am pretty hooked in to social media, so I'm looking towards communication with a social media/public relations bent. After searching for a bit I saw that John Hopkins had a MA in Communication with a digital concentration. I know Johns Hopkins is a good school for medicine, but do they have the chops for other majors?

I'm thinking I will probably end up doing PR for a local government, which is fine. I just want to stretch my creative brain more (currently I'm a grant writer for two specific monetary outlets that do not allow for doing anything outside the box!)

My other caveat is that I prefer programs with no GRE requirement. I never took it and don't want to take it as I am a very poor test taker. I know I would score very well in English (obviously), but the math portion would do me in. I'm hoping that my experience plus my undergrad GPA (3.5 overall, 3.8 major) will carry me through the admissions process.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm signed up for an online chat later this month, but would appreciate any comments from people who have attended or done more serious research into the program. Or if you know of any other "good" programs that would fit my specs, I would be open to hearing about those as well. Thanks in advance!

Edited by oldhousejunkie

Well, this is kind of a funny bunch of little coincidences. I have a BA in history but I am looking to study historic preservation in grad school... AND I work full-time in government myself.

I would like to say that I know nothing about Johns Hopkins or communications programs of any sort..... sorry for the let down in advance!

If you're interested in PR, I wonder if you have any lobbyist contacts through your government experience. Perhaps you could get some sort of internship. After all, someone with a government background would fit perfectly in a government affairs-type PR setting, and people in those fields switch back and forth relatively frequently, in my experience. Maybe you've found the same thing?

As far as the GRE goes, don't underestimate yourself! I say this because I am also a poor test taker and most likely the worst math student you will ever speak to in your life. I think it would certainly open up doors for you! I was looking at programs that did not require the GRE and was shocked by how few there were in my field. Perhaps it's different in communications, though. Not to mention, a strong verbal score will look wonderful and is something to be extremely proud of regardless. Just something to consider!

I'm sorry if this was of no help at all, I just couldn't resist after reading all the similarities between the two of us. I wish you luck in your program search! :)

Well, this is kind of a funny bunch of little coincidences. I have a BA in history but I am looking to study historic preservation in grad school... AND I work full-time in government myself.

I would like to say that I know nothing about Johns Hopkins or communications programs of any sort..... sorry for the let down in advance!

If you're interested in PR, I wonder if you have any lobbyist contacts through your government experience. Perhaps you could get some sort of internship. After all, someone with a government background would fit perfectly in a government affairs-type PR setting, and people in those fields switch back and forth relatively frequently, in my experience. Maybe you've found the same thing?

As far as the GRE goes, don't underestimate yourself! I say this because I am also a poor test taker and most likely the worst math student you will ever speak to in your life. I think it would certainly open up doors for you! I was looking at programs that did not require the GRE and was shocked by how few there were in my field. Perhaps it's different in communications, though. Not to mention, a strong verbal score will look wonderful and is something to be extremely proud of regardless. Just something to consider!

I'm sorry if this was of no help at all, I just couldn't resist after reading all the similarities between the two of us. I wish you luck in your program search! :)

Hello fellow preservation lover! I see that you applied to Clemson, which is just down the road from me. I also attended the College of Charleston for my BA. So lots of coincidences all around! Good luck with your applications. I almost went for my MA in historic preservation. I was admitted to the Savannah College of Art and Design but then lost my job, so I decided not to take on that kind of debt. And now unfortunately, South Carolina is not very receptive to historic preservation, jobs are very few and far in between, so I've decided that since I can't move (stubborn husband, unfortunately) that would not make economic sense to pursue the MA in hist pres. So my advice to you is be prepared to move where ever you need to get a job! And I would even venture to say that if you get accepted to multiple programs, be aware of networking and getting potential jobs following completion of your degree. For example, at Clemson, you may make some good connections, but with the job market being so poor here for historic preservation, you may do better attending another school where you can make the connections that will lead to a job. Just my two cents. :-)

Best of luck to you!

Edited by oldhousejunkie

Hello fellow preservation lover! I see that you applied to Clemson, which is just down the road from me. I also attended the College of Charleston for my BA. So lots of coincidences all around! Good luck with your applications. I almost went for my MA in historic preservation. I was admitted to the Savannah College of Art and Design but then lost my job, so I decided not to take on that kind of debt. And now unfortunately, South Carolina is not very receptive to historic preservation, jobs are very few and far in between, so I've decided that since I can't move (stubborn husband, unfortunately) that would not make economic sense to pursue the MA in hist pres. So my advice to you is be prepared to move where ever you need to get a job! And I would even venture to say that if you get accepted to multiple programs, be aware of networking and getting potential jobs following completion of your degree. For example, at Clemson, you may make some good connections, but with the job market being so poor here for historic preservation, you may do better attending another school where you can make the connections that will lead to a job. Just my two cents. :-)

Best of luck to you!

I truly appreciate your advice and will keep this in mind. Nice to find someone with experience. Thank you! Best of luck to you as well. :)

• 1 month later...

I applied for JHU communication program this year and still wait for the decision. Since I'm international student, maybe I wouldn't know more about this program than you. However, I applied for it mostly because of the reputation of JHU. Do you plan to take courses online? Do know more information about this program such as finding jobs or recognition in the USA? Because I hope to work there but I'm not sure if this program will help me in finding jobs.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a decent writer and am pretty hooked in to social media, so I'm looking towards communication with a social media/public relations bent. After searching for a bit I saw that John Hopkins had a MA in Communication with a digital concentration. I know Johns Hopkins is a good school for medicine, but do they have the chops for other majors?

My other caveat is that I prefer programs with no GRE requirement. I never took it and don't want to take it as I am a very poor test taker. I know I would score very well in English (obviously), but the math portion would do me in. I'm hoping that my experience plus my undergrad GPA (3.5 overall, 3.8 major) will carry me through the admissions process.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm signed up for an online chat later this month, but would appreciate any comments from people who have attended or done more serious research into the program. Or if you know of any other "good" programs that would fit my specs, I would be open to hearing about those as well. Thanks in advance!

Hmmm... I know you said you were looking for programs without the GRE requirement but I'm not sure if you'll find anything good. I applied to 7 MFA programs mainly because I didn't want to take the GRE. I ended up applying to the University of Florida's MA in Mass Communications (Social Media) program (thank goodness) even though it had the GRE requirement. I didn't do the greatest on the GRE, but I did get accepted to the program. They are mostly concerned that you have 2-3 years of professional communications experience (it's a requirement). I absolutely fell in love with the program after speaking with my enrollment advisor and doing some research. When I got accepted to the program, I quickly confirmed my decision to attend even though I haven't heard back from the majority of the MFA programs I applied to. It's an excellent program (100% online), the communications school at UF is nationally ranked and they do have rolling admissions. 

It's worth considering this program. Here's the website: http://communicationsdegree.jou.ufl.edu/