When Do People Usually Hear for Waitlists

jennyfields

I'm #3 on the waitlist for my first choice (English MA), and I was given a lot of positive but vague encouragement. I got a letter that says "we usually accept several candidates from our waitlist." I hope several means more than two. However, they also said they may not know until April 15. I've been looking back in the archives, and a #2 was notified on the 10th and a #4 was notified on the 14th. How long does it usually take for the waitlist notifications to start? Do most declines come from schools just not hearing from people by the 15th? That always seemed rude to me, to just not respond, but I've gotten the sense that a lot of people don't formally decline. When should we expect to hear? I'm going a little crazy waiting. I'm hoping I know before the 15th, because if I don't, I'll accept at my second choice just in case I don't make it. I'd feel awful bad to have to retract two days later because I was accepted but it took a couple days to sort things out. It makes you wish people would just decline already, but here I am sitting on three offers where there are waitlists behind me, so I'm the asshole, too. So, what does everyone know?

I'm hoping I know before the 15th, because if I don't, I'll accept at my second choice just in case I don't make it. . . . It makes you wish people would just decline already, but here I am sitting on three offers where there are waitlists behind me, so I'm the asshole, too.

Great news!

I was notified in mid-March that I was placed on the waiting list for my second choice school. I just received an email this morning stating that I've been accepted with funding! Now, I just have to wait and see if my first choice school is willing to do the same...

Summary: It ain't over until the fat lady sings!

I am waitlisted at my top choice school and have no other offers from schools. I emailed professors and they said they would not know until April 15th. While I know there is really nothing that can be done at this point except painfully wait it out, does anyone know if people who wait until April 15th to give notice are more likely to accept or decline an offer?

I am waitlisted at my top choice school and have no other offers from schools. I emailed professors and they said they would not know until April 15th. While I know there is really nothing that can be done at this point except painfully wait it out, does anyone know if people who wait until April 15th to give notice are more likely to accept or decline an offer?

Both. I don't think anyone waits until April 15th to accept an offer unless they are considering more than one offer... which means that as they accept one offer, they decline at least one, maybe more. I also think that, since you have no other offers, you are in a good position as far as the waitlist goes; you can be notified after April 15th, maybe even in May, and still be able to say yes, if that's what you want, without having already committed to another school.

Great news!

I was notified in mid-March that I was placed on the waiting list for my second choice school. I just received an email this morning stating that I've been accepted with funding! Now, I just have to wait and see if my first choice school is willing to do the same...

Summary: It ain't over until the fat lady sings!

Congrats jferreir! That's great news. I know you've been tearing your hair out about this.

I am trying to be optimistic but after 5 rejections and 1 waitlist, it is hard. The Grad Advisor told me that I am the top of their waiting lists (they have more than one, depending on the research interest). Yesterday I checked and they said I won't know until post April 15.

have been crying. please someone reject!