Alfred MFA sculpture

samilk

Hello everybody,

I would like to ask for some advice to figure out whether Alfred's MFA program in sculpture/dimensional studies is appropriate for me or not. There are several positive factors that draw me to this program, such as great facilities (for ceramics, glass and metal), amazing funding (full tuition + TA stipend), several gallery spaces for students and very specialized  support. Alfred seems to give great importance to technique and material experimentation as well, and this is a great plus considering the type of work I do. I also feel my work needs some detail refinement, thus making Alfred's emphasis on making a nice asset.

Now there are several aspects that make me wonder if it's the right program for me. This is where I would like to ask for your opinions, since I haven't been able to find accurate infromation online.

First, I've always lived in a big city. NY is a 5+ hour drive that I would probably do twice a month if possible, but I'm still worried I might miss the stimuli of galleries and museums. This is a big concern since I'm always in the lookout for this kind of imput.

The second concern I have is that, from what the page shows, the program does not seem to give that much importance to conceptual work. I feel it tends more towards very technical elaborated art and craftsmanship than  conceptual art. I was wonsdering if this is just my own impression or if indeed it is like that. ???

Finally ,I've been trying to find informationabout the program's outcomes in the art world but there is very little word on the internet. I've checked the graduate projects of 2012 and 2013 generations, and I think the quality of the work is pretty good, but I haven't been able to find any well-known artists (other than ceramists) having graduated form this program and  I do want a carreer working within the art market. Again, any info about this subjetc would be really appreciated.

Alfred is a great program. One of my professors went there for his BFA & MFA and helped with their China exchange program. 

I was going to apply to Alfred until I talked to him. 

Alfred is in the middle of nowhere. It is very remote and there isn't much of a "city" or "town" nearby. Look the school up on Google Maps. For me, this was a big deal. I didn't want to be that isolated. 

Also, going by what my professor said, their TA program is usually not "teacher of record" meaning that you won't gain a lot if any actually teaching assistance and you will more likely be sweeping floors and keeping the studio spaces clean. 

But like I said, the program is great and if you can overlook those things, I'm sure you'll enjoy your time there.

samilk

I visited and know people who have gone through the program.  The faculty and staff I met were nice and students seemed very active. Seemed like a great community. Being so secluded you'll likely get a lot of work done.    

I haven't heard the program being devoid of conceptual thinking or conversations, I think it's the opposite...

If you get in, you should visit.  You might get a totally new impression when you are there.

Hi there!

I was accepted into Alfred, but I decided not to go mostly based on the fact that it's so very secluded. Like you attested to, I need a metropolitan area. However, I also haven't heard anything about your concerns about it being not conceptually based. Actually, I think that isn't true at all for the new media (EIA) program there. (Take a look at Sondra Perry, she's an Alfred grad, currently at Columbia: http://sondraperry.com/) Personally speaking, I was accepted into that program and my work is extremely conceptual. So if yours is also, and they took you, they obviously want to work with you. I think all in all it's based on your own work and where you are going with it. I agree that you should visit if possible. I talked to Joseph Scheer on the phone about the program, and was really great, down to earth and very helpful. If being out in the boonies your cup of tea, I think it would be a great place to spend a cup of years.

Side note, one of the things for me also was that they required a decision SUPER early. That's something to take into consideration if you have a bunch of applications still out.

Thanks a lot for all the opinions. I feel reassured now that you tell me I was wrong about the program not being conceptually oriented, that really makes a difference for me. I guess that I could put up with the isolation if this implies concentrating on my work. As for the "cleaning" TA Soapeater ... haha well... I guess that doesn't sound so good, but maybe being in the facilities will help me acquire more technical knowlegde, on the bright side.

I still have one more concern, what about the visiting artists? Have you heard anything about that? I just want to make sure that even if Alfred is far from the art buzz, it is still connected somehow...

Inkhouse Right now, unfortunately  it's  not an option for me to visit their campus. I'm working full time and I really need  the money.

miyamoto81 , where did you finally decide to go? Actually I'm waiting for Hunter's admissions results, but I know Hunter is very selective . If I get in, Alfred is still an excellent opportunity as well, AND I really can't bear thinking about another year in my current second job -_-. But Hunter notifies late in February, will they ask me to make a decision earlier than that?

Hi Samilk,

I unfortunately do not really know anything about the Sculpture program at Alfred, but I have applied there too, for Ceramics. I have a friend that is getting his MFA in the Electronic Integrated Arts program there and I have been able to visit twice. The first time was almost a year ago, when I travelled there to hear a lecture by Kiki Smith who was a visiting artist there at the time. My understanding is that yes, they are still very connected with the art world in spite of being in a small town. I also spent a week there with my friend in January and the town is small but I really liked it. I spent most of my life in a big city but have lived in small towns the past 16 years mostly so I can relate. If by a long shot, I get in, I am looking forward to spending 2 years there. NYC is 5 hours away with a bus that goes there i believe, and Cleveland is about 3 and a half away. I guess I feel like there are few distractions of the kind I do not need-but it definitely feels connected to the art world there.

So did you have your interview on 11/2 (November) or is it on February 11th?

:)

Hi Samilk,

I unfortunately do not really know anything about the Sculpture program at Alfred, but I have applied there too, for Ceramics. I have a friend that is getting his MFA in the Electronic Integrated Arts program there and I have been able to visit twice. The first time was almost a year ago, when I travelled there to hear a lecture by Kiki Smith who was a visiting artist there at the time. My understanding is that yes, they are still very connected with the art world in spite of being in a small town. I also spent a week there with my friend in January and the town is small but I really liked it. I spent most of my life in a big city but have lived in small towns the past 16 years mostly so I can relate. If by a long shot, I get in, I am looking forward to spending 2 years there. NYC is 5 hours away with a bus that goes there i believe, and Cleveland is about 3 and a half away. I guess I feel like there are few distractions of the kind I do not need-but it definitely feels connected to the art world there.

So did you have your interview on 11/2 (November) or is it on February 11th?

:)

Hey Sareejane.

I'm glad to read that they're connected to the art world. I think that I'll be able to put up with Alfred being far from big cities because they  do offer a great program (well, that is if I am accepted) . My interview is in 2 days! :unsure: haha yup on 02/11! Are you being interviewed too? do you know when they will notify us?

I have not been contacted for an interview, but I heard the ceramics department was not going to start reviewing their MFA apps until the 12th. I did get to meet and speak with the division chair when I was there in January. I wonder about the interview process though. My friend that goes there, was never contacted for an interview and was accepted. Is your interview on Skype or just the phone? Best of luck to you! :)

Well actually, I had thought there would not be an interview for sculpture either since  there is no mention about Alfred interviewing people for their MFA programs anywhere in the web. Maybe they've got doubts about me? <_< The interview is through skype, and they offered me to schedule it from 6 to 8:20. All the options were spaced by 20 minutes ( 6- 6:20- 6:40 and so on) which leads me to assume they are interviewing more people, and that the interview will obviously be 20 minutes long, tops. Thanks for your good wishes! I really hope I can get in. :ph34r:

miyamoto81 , where did you finally decide to go? Actually I'm waiting for Hunter's admissions results, but I know Hunter is very selective . If I get in, Alfred is still an excellent opportunity as well, AND I really can't bear thinking about another year in my current second job -_-. But Hunter notifies late in February, will they ask me to make a decision earlier than that?

Hi there, sorry for the late response! I ended up at Rutgers, which actually has been ideal for me location wise: close to New York, but also far enough away where I can also escape New York. I'm actually getting ready to graduate in May - it's been a wild two year ride! 

From what I can remember, Alfred wanted a decision from me, I'd say by the end of February. It was early enough that I hadn't heard back from several schools yet. Unless they've changed their policies - which is entirely possible - I would venture a guess that they'd want a decision from you before you'd hear back from Hunter. From what I remember, Hunter notifies pretty late in the process. So, yeah it'd be a gamble. If anything, if you get in, I think you should absolutely try to visit. You'd get a much better sense of what life might be like out there, as well as your surroundings of peers and faculty. 

Edited by miyamoto81

Hey !

I just had the interview and well... I'm not sure about how it went;  my internet connection wasn't the best, so they had to repeat some questions several times, and I kind of felt "out of base" with some questions, but let's hope for the best! Some questions were very interesting and very specific about the materials I use and my process in general. Many times I felt a a little nervous and my answers were somewhat insecure ( after the interview I kept thinking "stupid why didn't you mention this???") But I felt I was really sincere and I hope they had some connection with me.

They didn't really tell me when I would hear about their final decision, I wonder if they didn't mention it on purpose? :wacko: I'll let you guys now...

• 2 weeks later...

Alfred is part of the council of graduate schools and they need to observe the same rule as others within the council , i.e. they need to give you until april 15 to make your "accept" decision.

kb1234, I brought up that exact issue to them when I was accepted, and their response to me was that since they were a "highly selective" program, they reserved the right to have an early deadline in order to go through their wait list. Maybe it's different now, hopefully. But that's the experience I had. 

On another note. I am still really glad to have finally heard from somewhere. Anywhere. It's kind of relaxed some of that tension of being in complete limbo. 1 down, 4 to go.

Sorry for the late response, but since I was waitlisted I kind of left this forum behind. I'm sorry to hear that they rejected you, really! I've just had my 3d rejection (out of 3 applications), so I know it feels like ?=()(/&/. Keep your head up! you still have a lot of waiting to do. Next year I'll apply to more schools and I'm not sure about visiting this forum: it's become an obsession and it's starting to disturb me... I'm still reading posts even though I didn't get in any of my desired programs XD!

I guess next time I'll just forget about the waiting and just do my stuff, being desperate an anxious is no good for anything. Good luck to all of you who are still in the game!

Edited by samilk

Sorry for the late response, but since I was waitlisted I kind of left this forum behind. I'm sorry to hear that they rejected you, really! I've just had my 3d rejection (out of 3 applications), so I know it feels like ?=()(/&/. Keep your head up! you still have a lot of waiting to do. Next year I'll apply to more schools and I'm not sure about visiting this forum: it's become an obsession and it's starting to disturb me... I'm still reading posts even though I didn't get in any of my desired programs XD!

I guess next time I'll just forget about the waiting and just do my stuff, being desperate an anxious is no good for anything. Good luck to all of you who are still in the game!

That sucks about your rejections. Keep your head up for next year and my advice would be to find some schools that are a little lower than the "top 25". There are some amazing programs out there that have higher acceptance rates and still offer great funding and assistantships. I wish you the best.