Do the subfields make the wait harder?

sarab

Other majors have specializations and specific topics of interest, but I think that having several subfields plus areas/topics of interest make the wait harder. We don't know how the adcom looks at the applications for each subfield, we don't know if the subfield is getting funding, we don't know the subfield that has received decision and wait lists in the results search. So many things!

What do you all think?

YES and it's been particularly difficult because it seemed to me that a great deal of people are in the sociocultural subfield, I never really know what to expect when a result was posted...

but then again...having different subfields is one of the most fascinating thing about anthropology IMO

YES and it's been particularly difficult because it seemed to me that a great deal of people are in the sociocultural subfield, I never really know what to expect when a result was posted...

but then again...having different subfields is one of the most fascinating thing about anthropology IMO

Yeah, I definitely agree that the subfields make anthropology so amazing.

Yeah, I love anthropology for having subfields, but it is making this whole process ridiculously difficult. 

First of all, many of the subfields notify separately.  So I keep seeing sociocultural results that actually have nothing to do with when a bio anthropology decision will be made.  Second of all, some subfields get more funding than others, and as I mentioned in another thread, some subfields get funding certain years while others don't.  This can result in a lot of confusion about if any funding will be available to you at all.

this thread as made me feel slightly better and slightly worse all at the same time. I just want to know now, so I can make arrangements to to build a yurt in the middle of nowhere if i don't get in.

this thread as made me feel slightly better and slightly worse all at the same time. I just want to know now, so I can make arrangements to to build a yurt in the middle of nowhere if i don't get in.

I'm not sure I would do that, you might end up on someone's SOP... "For my PhD, I would like to examine what is locally known as the Screencheck's yurt..." 

I'm not sure I would do that, you might end up on someone's SOP... "For my PhD, I would like to examine what is locally known as the Screencheck's yurt..." 

I'm fine with that, maybe then my name will finally end up in a peer reviewed journal. 

I swear I heard Rachel Maddow say this before! Gotta love yurts! B)

The subfields definitely obscure the results a bit. It seems like the other subfields are being notified before arch. There's hardly any arch results. We're dying over here!

this thread as made me feel slightly better and slightly worse all at the same time. I just want to know now, so I can make arrangements to to build a yurt in the middle of nowhere if i don't get in.

Lol can I come live with you if I didn't get in anywhere as well? I was just thinking abt what I would do if I didn't get in anywhere... I just wanna hide lol

Lol can I come live with you if I didn't get in anywhere as well? I was just thinking abt what I would do if I didn't get in anywhere... I just wanna hide lol

yea, for sure. we can have a nice little commune of grad school rejects, just living off the land.

Protip: there are public lands in OR & CA that actually have yurts available in lieu of a normal campsite...

Protip: there are public lands in OR & CA that actually have yurts available in lieu of a normal campsite...

im staying at a hostel in portland, they have a guide to the yurts in the area. looks good to me.

On the flip side, I do like that all the subfields share a grad cafe forum! I think we have some great conversations and that we have a critical mass of people using the anthro threads to keep interesting topics going :)

Edited by NoSleepTilBreuckelen

yea, for sure. we can have a nice little commune of grad school rejects, just living off the land.

You would be very popular among experimental archaeologists. I went to an experimental archaeology conference last semester, and it was all a bunch of grizzled old mountain men. Also, the overlap between experimental archaeologists and doomsday preppers is pretty fantastic. 

You know, this is shaping up to be a pretty good research proposal...

You would be very popular among experimental archaeologists. I went to an experimental archaeology conference last semester, and it was all a bunch of grizzled old mountain men. Also, the overlap between experimental archaeologists and doomsday preppers is pretty fantastic. 

You know, this is shaping up to be a pretty good research proposal...

sounds good to me. this yurt idea is sort of doomsday prepping, I will feel like the world is ending if I dont get an acceptance.