Florida Schools

I'll agree to that - the Florida water is much warmer and the sand is much finer than California! After getting scuba certified in 58 degree water in CA, I prefer being able to dive in a shorty in FL!

Ya you definitely get more movement! Heck, the idea of wearing one in CA is crazy to me! 

I wanted to apply there but I didn't since I saw they didn't even rank on US News

That is most likely because the faculty didn't submit their opinions of their programs. In my search for the reliability of the ranks, I have read that even some schools refuse to participate in the US News rankings. 

Nova was an absolute nightmare to apply to. not only was the application fee super expensive, but it took them FOREVER to help me. I would usually be on hold, for no joke, over an hour everytime i would call. absolute joke. I unfortunately dont have the greatest GPA (3.4) and when i was denied from UCF i called to ask what i could do to improve my chances of getting in next year. they told me that based on my GPA i should look into finding a new career field because the field of speech pathology may be too competitive for me. After two years of denials I decided to apply to FSU distance learning program and to my amazement i was accepted! the program is totally online and narrows the application field by only accepting those who live within the state of floida. This is great for people who are more than qualified, but didnt do so hot on the final exams during undergrad. its fully accredited and allows me the option to continue being employed full time as an SLP within a school district because it is a part-time degree. Because of this it does take 3 years to finish, but florida schools allow you to work as an SLP for 5 extra years if accepted into a grad program. This might not be the most ideal option for some, but it will work out great for me!

Nova was an absolute nightmare to apply to. not only was the application fee super expensive, but it took them FOREVER to help me. I would usually be on hold, for no joke, over an hour everytime i would call. absolute joke. I unfortunately dont have the greatest GPA (3.4) and when i was denied from UCF i called to ask what i could do to improve my chances of getting in next year. they told me that based on my GPA i should look into finding a new career field because the field of speech pathology may be too competitive for me. After two years of denials I decided to apply to FSU distance learning program and to my amazement i was accepted! the program is totally online and narrows the application field by only accepting those who live within the state of floida. This is great for people who are more than qualified, but didnt do so hot on the final exams during undergrad. its fully accredited and allows me the option to continue being employed full time as an SLP within a school district because it is a part-time degree. Because of this it does take 3 years to finish, but florida schools allow you to work as an SLP for 5 extra years if accepted into a grad program. This might not be the most ideal option for some, but it will work out great for me!

Fantastic! So happy for you!!!!! :) :) :) Also, I've heard on this forum that UCF's admissions is kind of mean - like they're getting a reputation for that. What you just said only further supported that. Glad you stuck with it despite what they said!

Edited by autismadvocate

OMG it sounds like both nova and ucf were nightmares to deal with for you. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that but happy for you that you got accepted somewhere you are much more comfortable! Congratulations!

This thread has been super helpful for me! I am about to graduate from UF in May and have recently decided to pursue SLP, making me an out-of-field applicant (I'm a biology major). I definitely want to stay in Florida for the master's, but I am having the hardest time finding out information about all of the different programs. All the programs seem to have different pre reqs, so I basically need to pick a school and complete their pre reqs because it's impossible for me to cover them all!

I am most interested in UF and UCF's programs. I like that UF has an online post bacc program I could complete my pre reqs through and UCF offers a 3 year catch up program. I've noticed that UCF's program is 72 credit hours, whereas UF's is 50 something. UCF also has a part time and full time externship making it seem a lot more clinical than UF. However, UF has the name, so everyone assumes it is a better school. I'm sure both programs offer a good education but I was wondering if anyone has more insight into the quality of these programs. 

P.S. I have a 3.89 GPA (for my bio major), haven't taken the GRE yet, and am working on getting as much SLP-oriented experience as I can, just to give you an idea on stats!

This thread has been super helpful for me! I am about to graduate from UF in May and have recently decided to pursue SLP, making me an out-of-field applicant (I'm a biology major). I definitely want to stay in Florida for the master's, but I am having the hardest time finding out information about all of the different programs. All the programs seem to have different pre reqs, so I basically need to pick a school and complete their pre reqs because it's impossible for me to cover them all!

I am most interested in UF and UCF's programs. I like that UF has an online post bacc program I could complete my pre reqs through and UCF offers a 3 year catch up program. I've noticed that UCF's program is 72 credit hours, whereas UF's is 50 something. UCF also has a part time and full time externship making it seem a lot more clinical than UF. However, UF has the name, so everyone assumes it is a better school. I'm sure both programs offer a good education but I was wondering if anyone has more insight into the quality of these programs. 

P.S. I have a 3.89 GPA (for my bio major), haven't taken the GRE yet, and am working on getting as much SLP-oriented experience as I can, just to give you an idea on stats!

FSU and USF also have online post-bacc programs. USF's starts in the summer, and I think FSU's starts in the Fall.

The ranking of the schools would probably go UF/FSU (near tie) followed by UCF and USF (don't know the order there, probably depends on the specialization you're working on) followed by FIU, then FAU.

I think with all of these, though, it depends on your specialization. For instance, FSU has a strong autism program whereas UF does not. So FSU would probably come out on top if you're applying to autism related jobs. USF has a great swallowing program, so if you were interested in dysphagia that'd be the place to go.

What I've learned throughout this is that unlike most grad programs, SLP programs aren't very prestige based and the name of the program you went to doesn't matter as much for jobs as does the relevant experience you got during that program. So if I were you, I'd go wherever it was 1) least expensive and 2) had opportunities for experiences relevant to what you want to do (if you know the population you want to work with or the environment you want to work in, choosing based on that is easier). Only when those two factors were controlled for would I even factor in rankings.

That is most likely because the faculty didn't submit their opinions of their programs. In my search for the reliability of the ranks, I have read that even some schools refuse to participate in the US News rankings. 

I have also heard that all those rankings are made up of how many research articles each schools program has produced.  So the rankings are not the best source for finding a good program.  All programs teach the same materials/courses so it comes down to what you get out of them and how small the classes are and how dedicated the faculty is to each individual.

FSU and USF also have online post-bacc programs. USF's starts in the summer, and I think FSU's starts in the Fall.

The ranking of the schools would probably go UF/FSU (near tie) followed by UCF and USF (don't know the order there, probably depends on the specialization you're working on) followed by FIU, then FAU.

I think with all of these, though, it depends on your specialization. For instance, FSU has a strong autism program whereas UF does not. So FSU would probably come out on top if you're applying to autism related jobs. USF has a great swallowing program, so if you were interested in dysphagia that'd be the place to go.

What I've learned throughout this is that unlike most grad programs, SLP programs aren't very prestige based and the name of the program you went to doesn't matter as much for jobs as does the relevant experience you got during that program. So if I were you, I'd go wherever it was 1) least expensive and 2) had opportunities for experiences relevant to what you want to do (if you know the population you want to work with or the environment you want to work in, choosing based on that is easier). Only when those two factors were controlled for would I even factor in rankings.

Just to add to the mix here.... I currently attend FSU and I honestly cannot say enough positive things about their speech path program. I realize I am biased by even posting about the school, but if you want to attend a school in Florida with fantastic research opportunities (including autism as posted above), dual language learning, motor speech disorders and various neurogenic related speech disorders... attend FSU!! All of the grad students who are currently in the program who I interact with absolutely love it. Just from the buzz I hear from the current grad students, literally close to everyone has funding. Funding is provided through research opportunities (where there are plenty), TA positions, and other secretarial positions around the clinic. Tallahassee does not have many private practice placement opportunities, but there are several hospitals that you are able to be placed in that are all relatively near campus. It is important to note that FSU REQUIRES you to do research in their graduate program, which is not true at every school! I am pretty sure the requirement is 40 hours of research, but I could be wrong! Don't fret though, there are plenty of research projects that are easy to join onto so you won't have to create your own! 

I do have to add that if I were to get into my top schools, I would narrow my Florida school choices to just UF and FSU (that is saying I miraculously get into both!). I hear through the grapevine that UF has a fantastic program as well, which I am thinking has to add to the fact that UF is so closely tied to Shands hospital. 

Just to add to the mix here.... I currently attend FSU and I honestly cannot say enough positive things about their speech path program. I realize I am biased by even posting about the school, but if you want to attend a school in Florida with fantastic research opportunities (including autism as posted above), dual language learning, motor speech disorders and various neurogenic related speech disorders... attend FSU!! All of the grad students who are currently in the program who I interact with absolutely love it. Just from the buzz I hear from the current grad students, literally close to everyone has funding. Funding is provided through research opportunities (where there are plenty), TA positions, and other secretarial positions around the clinic. Tallahassee does not have many private practice placement opportunities, but there are several hospitals that you are able to be placed in that are all relatively near campus. It is important to note that FSU REQUIRES you to do research in their graduate program, which is not true at every school! I am pretty sure the requirement is 40 hours of research, but I could be wrong! Don't fret though, there are plenty of research projects that are easy to join onto so you won't have to create your own! 

I do have to add that if I were to get into my top schools, I would narrow my Florida school choices to just UF and FSU (that is saying I miraculously get into both!). I hear through the grapevine that UF has a fantastic program as well, which I am thinking has to add to the fact that UF is so closely tied to Shands hospital. 

Didn't know about the research requirement, but to me that's a bonus! :)  Would we be allowed to create our own research project? I'll admit I have a lot of areas I'd like to research, but I'll also admit I've never done research before - but you have to start somewhere!

Fair warning to you guys. Don't know if you saw, but another member mentioned it in the Application Anxiety thread, FSU has moved their deadline to let us hear back from them from March 1st (Saturday) back to March 15th. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(  So those of us who applied there will have to wait a little bit longer to find out if we go accepted or not. :( :( :(

I am so happy this is a thread! I currently live in Florida and i'm having the hardest time on deciding what to do. I dont have a very good undergrad gpa (3.1) and im out of field (psychology) so i decide to apply to the USF second bachelors program. Has anyone heard anything about it? I know USF has a great graduate program for speech so im assuming their undergrad is just as good. any feedback would be appreciated. I plan on applying to FSU distance learning after I finish my second bachelors alnog with UCF and USF. Im trying to stay here for tuition purposes. Ive heard great things about UF, FSU, USF, and UCF. I graduated FAU for my undergrad and i will say that they have a very small department for the program. Not a lot of staff and I only have one professor that I would say was good. I took 4 pre reqs there. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am so happy this is a thread! I currently live in Florida and i'm having the hardest time on deciding what to do. I dont have a very good undergrad gpa (3.1) and im out of field (psychology) so i decide to apply to the USF second bachelors program. Has anyone heard anything about it? I know USF has a great graduate program for speech so im assuming their undergrad is just as good. any feedback would be appreciated. I plan on applying to FSU distance learning after I finish my second bachelors alnog with UCF and USF. Im trying to stay here for tuition purposes. Ive heard great things about UF, FSU, USF, and UCF. I graduated FAU for my undergrad and i will say that they have a very small department for the program. Not a lot of staff and I only have one professor that I would say was good. I took 4 pre reqs there.

I just completed the 2nd bachelors at USF with a poor GPA in my first bachelors (also psychology). I have a 3.75 in my second bachelors. Soooo hopefully in a couple days here I can let you know how that's worked out for me (whenever we hear back from usf). You may want to also check out the video on the usf slp grad program page, it talks about how they consider csd coursework gpa over out of field.

I just completed the 2nd bachelors at USF with a poor GPA in my first bachelors (also psychology). I have a 3.75 in my second bachelors. Soooo hopefully in a couple days here I can let you know how that's worked out for me (whenever we hear back from usf). You may want to also check out the video on the usf slp grad program page, it talks about how they consider csd coursework gpa over out of field.

Please let me know! I'm nervous about schools still weighing my first degree more than my second degree. I should be hearing back if i got in in a couple weeks here so fingers crossed! Ill look at that video, thanks. If you don't mind me asking how were your courses? Did you work while completing them?

Does anyone know wen we'll start hearing back from UCF?

I called UCF today actually because I am pretty anxious myself. They said they are currently meeting and making decisions and all of them for this summer will go out by the beginning of April. That's coming soon, hope they stick to it! Good luck!

I called UCF today actually because I am pretty anxious myself. They said they are currently meeting and making decisions and all of them for this summer will go out by the beginning of April. That's coming soon, hope they stick to it! Good luck!

ok!! i cant wait!! i hope i can just pull off ONE acceptance!! idk what a plan B will be!