What's the deal with Johns Hopkins phone interviews?

FreeRadical

This website says that interviews aren't required for JHSPH, but... "an interview may be required prior to an admissions decision."

The Grad Cafe results page shows that several PhD applicants had phone interviews in the last 2 weeks. Can you tell if it's supposed to help the admissions committee decide about people on the fence, or is it to feel out potential research with their top applicants? Maybe it just depends on the case? Thoughts?

This website says that interviews aren't required for JHSPH, but... "an interview may be required prior to an admissions decision."

The Grad Cafe results page shows that several PhD applicants had phone interviews in the last 2 weeks. Can you tell if it's supposed to help the admissions committee decide about people on the fence, or is it to feel out potential research with their top applicants? Maybe it just depends on the case? Thoughts?

I had an interview last week and they told me that they were interviewing candidates who had made their "short list". They also told me that they had over 180 applicants and they usually admit around 10% of the applicants...so approximately 18 admits for the epi phd program this year. Not sure how many people they interview or when they send out all the notifications for interviews!

I had an interview last week and they told me that they were interviewing candidates who had made their "short list". They also told me that they had over 180 applicants and they usually admit around 10% of the applicants...so approximately 18 admits for the epi phd program this year. Not sure how many people they interview or when they send out all the notifications for interviews!

Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering. Good luck!

I had a phone interview too and was told basically the same thing... Though I don't know if all tracks are interviewing or just some.

I am not sure if this applies to phone interviews or not but am currently enrolled at Bloomberg and what I hear is that interviews totally depend on the department. I applied to two programs, one asked for interview last week and the other has not. Other students who are also applying got rejected or accepted directly (pop fam and biostatistics). However, If you get an interview that probably means you got into the short-list.

In short, Hopkins Public Health is really a huge place and programs differ drastically in terms of admission processes, competitiveness and funding so I would not worry until March at least.

Good luck

Yeah, seems like I shouldn't try to read into interviews or lack thereof. But then again I have to read into something, right? Isn't that why we're all on Grad Cafe?

LoL! Exactly

I guess going through it last year made me a bit less anxious but I can say without doubt that be here is definitely bringing up the anxiety and reading into everything.

So I logged into the application of Hopkins' other program late Friday  ( the one I really want and did not get an interview) and it said a decision has been made!!

After a split second of hyperventilating and tachycardia, I read that they say thank you for your application, we reached a decision and we are not writing it here so wait for a letter in the next two weeks!!!! Have to wait during this long weekend before I can go there and pester someone in the admission committee in person about it

I am not sure what I am supposed to read into this but I am pretty leaning towards rejection. So cheer up , no news can be good news

LoL! Exactly

I guess going through it last year made me a bit less anxious but I can say without doubt that be here is definitely bringing up the anxiety and reading into everything.

So I logged into the application of Hopkins' other program late Friday  ( the one I really want and did not get an interview) and it said a decision has been made!!

After a split second of hyperventilating and tachycardia, I read that they say thank you for your application, we reached a decision and we are not writing it here so wait for a letter in the next two weeks!!!! Have to wait during this long weekend before I can go there and pester someone in the admission committee in person about it

I am not sure what I am supposed to read into this but I am pretty leaning towards rejection.

Here's a study of n=2...

I know one person who got that notification and was accepted the next day. Personally, I haven't gotten that notification and I still don't have any further information. Assuming that each instance is representative of its class, all other things being equal, I'd say your probability of acceptance is higher now than it was on Thursday.

So cheer up , no news can be good news

So cheer up , incomplete news isn't necessarily bad news  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

p.s. Thanks for the encouragement!