Rejection thread

ianfaircloud

Any word on whether the Carnegie Mellon rejection is legit? Supposed to come out any day now.

I'll claim the Carnegie Mellon rejection! I was emailed by a professor that I had been I'm contact with.

Anyone doing anything via the postal service does seem strange, especially for their initial notification.

It's not totally out of the question that Harvard sent a rejection via postal service.  But what's odd is that I haven't received one.  I live a mile from Harvard, so I would think I would be the first to receive a rejection via postal mail. Perhaps this rejected person lives here, too.  Still, where's my rejection letter?

I didn't expect Harvard to send notices until Friday.

Edited by ianfaircloud

Also, USPS doesn't deliver on President's day, so I doubt that someone received that letter today...

It would have to be that the person actually received it Friday or Saturday, e.g., and didn't specify this in the post.  Doubtful.  It's probably fake.

It's worth saying this, however: there have been very, very few fakes on the website so far this season.  Only one fake stands out, and that was the Yale rejection.

I'm sorry to hear that. I assume I'll be receiving one shortly as well. Was it to check the website? Or did they email you the rejection letter?

It was addressed to me, personally, and came directly from the email of a professor, so my guess is they are copy/pasting the nice form letter for each person.

Okay, I'm writing this in bold, italicized, red font to draw your attention:

Can anyone confirm receipt of a rejection from
  • Yale?
  • Brown?
  • Harvard?
Can anyone confirm receipt of a wait-list notification from
  • Wisconsin Madison?
  • Indiana Bloomington (Philosophy PhD only)?

And if you can confirm any of the above, would you offer us the following:
  • How you were notified?
  • How generic was the notification?  (e.g. looked like a form email?)
  • How official was it?  (e.g. through a prof you know personally?  through the grad admissions office?  etc.)

I hope the Harvard rejection is fake.  Being rejected by phone sounds brutal.

Yes it DOES!

Here's how that conversation goes:

"Hello, this is Christine Korsgaard, from Harvard."

"Oh MY GOD!!  ARE YOU SERIOUS??!   WOOOHOOOO YEAHHH!"

"I'm calling to let you know that . . ."

"WOOW THANK YOU JESUS.  OH MY GOD.  HONEY!  HONEY!   GUESS WHO IT IS!!"

". . . you have been REJECTED to Harvard."

"OHH THANK YOU THANK YOU. . . . WHOA, wait a minute.  Did you say REJECTED?"

"Yes, you have been rejected."

"Oh."

"Yes, we wanted to give you the courtesy of a personal phone call.  But we appreciate your application.  Of the 300 we received, it was definitely one of them."

Okay, I'm writing this in bold, italicized, red font to draw your attention:

Can anyone confirm receipt of a rejection from
  • Yale?
  • Brown?
  • Harvard?
Can anyone confirm receipt of a wait-list notification from
  • Wisconsin Madison?
  • Indiana Bloomington (Philosophy PhD only)?

And if you can confirm any of the above, would you offer us the following:
  • How you were notified?
  • How generic was the notification?  (e.g. looked like a form email?)
  • How official was it?  (e.g. through a prof you know personally?  through the grad admissions office?  etc.)

Oh, and a re-post, since that last post was totally off-topic.

Ian,

The IU wait-list post has been taken down from the results page, FWIW. At least I couldn't find it when I just did a quick scan. I've heard no news from IU either way yet. They seem to be one of the first who are sending out acceptances and rejections around the same time. 

Edited by objectivityofcontradiction

Ian,

The IU wait-list post has been taken down from the results page, FWIW. At least I couldn't find it when I just did a quick scan. I've heard no news from IU either way yet. They seem to be one of the first who are sending out acceptances and rejections around the same time. 

It seems like a lot of us have yet to hear form IU. I assume this means they're sending out rejections in rounds... or they have a very long WL.

It seems like a lot of us have yet to hear form IU. I assume this means they're sending out rejections in rounds... or they have a very long WL.

Yeah, I'm with you. And I'll admit of a bit of satisfaction knowing I at least made it through a round of cuts (if we can all last weeks rejection notifications 'round 1'), given that I've been flat out rejected from two others so far. 

Edited by objectivityofcontradiction

Heads up, the description of the most recent arizona rejection confirms that if you haven't heard from them, you'll be rejected shortly ;_;

Mine says the exact same thing, and it should also be noted that my last name begins very early on in the alphabet. It's also been updated on the website for me.

Heads up, the description of the most recent arizona rejection confirms that if you haven't heard from them, you'll be rejected shortly ;_;

Thanks!

Mine says the exact same thing, and it should also be noted that my last name begins very early on in the alphabet. It's also been updated on the website for me.

Thanks for this info.

I've not received a notification.  Website still unchanged.  My last name is very late in the alphabet.  Maybe the last name is relevant!