Good tool for anyone comparing multiple offers

jakem

I found this while searching the depths of the internet... I was trying to see how a potential program's reputation has changed over time. Turns out MIT has hoarded all the old US News Psychology rankings since 2001. So you can see exactly how your program's reputation has changed over time!

http://web.mit.edu/ir/rankings/USNews_Grad_Rankings_1994-2013.pdf (page 26, to be specific)

Note: It's not complete, just has data for the top 30-ish programs. If you know a site that has more complete data, feel free to post it.

Note 2: I know rankings aren't everything, and some people really dislike them. But reputation is still pretty important on the academic job market.

Edited by jakem

I found this while searching the depths of the internet... I was trying to see how a potential program's reputation has changed over time. Turns out MIT has hoarded all the old US News Psychology rankings since 2001. So you can see exactly how your program's reputation has changed over time!

http://web.mit.edu/ir/rankings/USNews_Grad_Rankings_1994-2013.pdf (page 26, to be specific)

Note: It's not complete, just has data for the top 30-ish programs. If you know a site that has more complete data, feel free to post it.

Note 2: I know rankings aren't everything, and some people really dislike them. But reputation is still pretty important on the academic job market.

You got it all wrong. Rankings don't mean jack when it comes to academic job market especially in psychology. Most important factor is your versatility and diligence as a researcher than it might be about the reputation of your mentor. And US News rankings? Are you kidding me?

You got it all wrong. Rankings don't mean jack when it comes to academic job market especially in psychology. Most important factor is your versatility and diligence as a researcher than it might be about the reputation of your mentor. And US News rankings? Are you kidding me?

The way they calculate the grad school rankings is very straightforward. It is 100% based on the results of the "reputation surveys" they send out to academics across the country. So it's completely a measure of reputation, and nothing else. (see http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/2013/03/11/methodology-best-social-sciences-and-humanities-schools-rankings)

And I disagree - a fancy name school in the academic job market can certainly ensure that your application is at least looked at. Beyond that though, it's not much help.

Edited by jakem

I attend a top 15 school, and my adviser said that rankings do matter, at least to a certain degree; that schools often try and hire from schools who are considered above them (though this is certainly not always the case, and there are other considerations). I would not blow that information off, but if your school is on that list, you are probably safe...