On re-applying

philstudent1991

I have a quick question for those that have applied multiple times, or who did an MA then went on to PhD. Did you have to resubmit GRE scores, or did the schools keep them on file (assuming you were happy with your score the first time through)? Thanks guys.

My personal anecdote may or may not be helpful. I had to resubmit my GRE scores, although my situation was a little different. I took my GRE in the spring of my freshman year of university, and sent my scores to a few graduate programs because you're allowed to send your scores out to maybe 5 programs for free at the time of the test. However, when I applied out 3 semesters later in the Fall, I ended up having to resend my GRE scores to places.

It's possible that they didn't keep my scores because I hadn't submitted a full application, but I think with how the technical infrastructure works, I don't think this was the case. Of course, it's also possible they only keep scores for a year, but then if you're reapplying with an MA this possibility won't be relevant.

Your best bet is just to email your departments and ask, but probably plan on sending them again (along with your transcripts).

I have a quick question for those that have applied multiple times, or who did an MA then went on to PhD. Did you have to resubmit GRE scores, or did the schools keep them on file (assuming you were happy with your score the first time through)? Thanks guys.

Schools will generally keep them on file for something like five years if I'm not mistaken. I re-took my GREs while doing my MA program, though, so I resubmitted them. 

I just resubmitted them every time. I'd rather do that than call every department to ask if they had them on file (and then trust that they'd find them).

I did, too.  Found out later that there were a few schools that didn't need them.  It's a lot of trouble to contact every school for this purpose, particularly because many schools won't keep your file after the season.  I spent about $600 sending GRE scores the second time.  Just part of the expense of applications.

If I get shut out I think I'll return to Europe for my PhD. I am an American who took an MA from a European university, graduating with a 4.00 and First Class Honours (apparently this has not impressed my American compatriots). I grew to like several of the elements of the European academic system (esp. its emphasis on research and publishing over teaching), and perhaps I am now intuitively more comfortable with the way they do things over there. The only reason I did not apply to European schools for PhD. was because of what I had heard about it hurting your employment chances in the future, as a lot of American Unis do not fancy hiring European graduates. I think that was a stupid mistake. If I get a PhD. in Europe, I'll stay in Europe, and not bother applying for jobs here until I have built up a publishing record. Obviously, the other big hurdle to overcome is the great lack of funding for international students in Europe. But I have heard that the situation is improving in this regard. Then again, I think I have begun to despair a bit too early. I still have 8 schools to hear from, with just two rejections, and two assumed rejections out of the 10 I applied to. I'm really holding my breath for good news from either Georgetown, BU, or Columbia... 

Edited by objectivityofcontradiction

In talking with an advisor about this, I learned that the "system actually has surprisingly little memory, year-to-year [with respect to past years' GRE scores]."

This information comes from a graduate director at a top-ranked university--but I wouldn't take this to warrant any generalizations about other departments.  

Objectivityofcontradiction, I'm doing a Master's in Europe, and the word where I am is that it's "quite easy" to get into a PhD program, but very hard to get funding. I think there are 27 of us in this program, and the program director told us that they could officially support one candidate, perhaps two, in their request for external funding this year. They have not recommended anyone in the past two years, and this is at a top school in its field (not technically philosophy, but a related field.) Of course, things vary quite a bit from country to country etc. Just thought I'd share my 2 cents. Feel free to P.M. if you want, and I might be able to be a bit more specific, though I really don't know all that much. 

• 2 weeks later...

On the topic of re-applying, how do you ask your letter-writers to send your letters again? Should you ask them to write a new one? Do you apologize for not being good enough to get in the first time and save them the trouble?

On the topic of re-applying, how do you ask your letter-writers to send your letters again? Should you ask them to write a new one? Do you apologize for not being good enough to get in the first time and save them the trouble?

If they wrote a letter for you once, chances are they'd be happy to write one again. I imagine it will be up to them to decide if their letter needs alteration or not (based on new work you've done by next year, or maybe feeling like they can add more).

Make sure you offer to give them any old papers/work you've done for them if they need to refresh their memory.

I would let my letter writers know as soon as possible of my plan to reapply, and I'd ask them how I could improve my application before the next round of deadlines. I might even ask what I could do to get even stronger letters from them. Then I'd try really hard to follow their recommendations.

Edited by aduh

Question -- is it tacky to re-use a slightly edited writing sample? If, say, I decided to do a master's and to reapply next year. 

Shouldn't you assume that you'll produce a piece of work during the MA that will be better than anything you wrote before having such graduate training...? 

Shouldn't you assume that you'll produce a piece of work during the MA that will be better than anything you wrote before having such graduate training...? 

True, I just really like my writing sample :)

True, I just really like my writing sample :)

The way you posed your question is kind of disturbing. You're going to attend an MA program and come out with a "slightly edited" writing sample from what you had before?

The way you posed your question is kind of disturbing. You're going to attend an MA program and come out with a "slightly edited" writing sample from what you had before?

This seems uncharitable... the MA program I am considering is just one year, so I would need to reapply after being there for 3 months. I am operating under the assumption that the paper I worked on for a year will be better than anything I might put together in the first couple of months after returning to school when I've taken a  two year gap. 

Additionally, this writing sample has been successful -- so I wouldn't mind simply polishing it, and then adding the additional qualification of the new degree to see what offers might be on the table. 

Edited by philosophe

This seems uncharitable... the MA program I am considering is just one year, so I would need to reapply after being there for 3 months. I am operating under the assumption that the paper I worked on for a year will be better than anything I might put together in the first couple of months after returning to school when I've taken a  two year gap. 

Additionally, this writing sample has been successful -- so I wouldn't mind simply polishing it, and then adding the additional qualification of the new degree to see what offers might be on the table. 

Oh, I see what you mean now. Yeah, that's unfortunate. The way most students handle one year MA programs is to not apply during their first year but after they've graduated. Of course, if for whatever reason this isn't an option, then your hands are tied.

Oh, I see what you mean now. Yeah, that's unfortunate. The way most students handle one year MA programs is to not apply during their first year but after they've graduated. Of course, if for whatever reason this isn't an option, then your hands are tied.

Yeah, I'm not getting any younger ;)