POI Contact

Platonist

I am so sorry for starting a new thread about this. But I really want to know if it would indeed help to contact POI either before applying or during the review process. I have the feeling that many applicants have done so. But I have never done that. I do have a lot of professors whom I want to work with in the department of my interest, and that is why I applied to it. But I did not contact any one of them. If other applicants did so, I am apparently disadvantaged. My not doing this might be one of the reasons why I have not received any acceptance. What if I had contacted a POI and told him or her I really like the work he or she has been doing and want to work with her toward a PhD? No offense,but how many or what percentage of acceptances have contacted POIs prior to applying? 

Edited by Platonist

My school did a seminar on "how to apply for philosophy programs" and virtually all of the professors who attended stressed that we should not contact any POIs. (Or rather, it's fine only if we had previously met and chatted with the POI at a conference about matters other than grad school.) Professors don't want their emails flooded with people who are emailing them only because they think it will give them a better shot at attending their school - and if that's your only reason to email them, then it will probably be apparent to them.

My hunch is to say that most of the people in these forums did not contact any professors at the departments to which they have been admitted.  I didn't contact anyone.  I did, however, mention in my statement of purpose specific people in each department whose work matches with my interests.