Rejection - even before they accept others?

shuca

So this is going to be a whiny topic.

I woke up this morning and saw that I got an email from University of Massachusetts Amherst telling me to check the application status online. I log in, and saw that I was not accepted there :(.

Honestly, I wasn't all that interested in going there so I'm not that sad about the rejection itself, but now it's making me nervous that I won't get accepted to other schools because I think UMass Amherst isn't as competitive as other schools I applied to. Also, it was my understanding that most schools usually don't send out rejection until all the acceptances have been sent out. Looking at the results page, they haven't even sent acceptances yet, so if they didn't even wait to send me a rejection it makes me suspect that there was something significantly wrong with my application.

I have two interviews lined up this weekend but I've lost all my confidence for it :(.

I wouldn't overthink the notification process. It is possible that they haven't finished the email for the accepted students, that all emails should have gone out but there was a glitch in the system, etc. Do all you can to stay positive! Having two interviews lined up means that there is something significantly right with your application. Schools always vary in competitiveness and many times they have to turn away qualified candidates. You still have a few days before your interviews, use that time to build up your confidence the best way you know how and you'll be fine :)

Exactly, ditto what DeafAudi said. Some schools focus more on GREs, some on GPA, some on personal statements - work experience, LoRs, population you want to work with, seriously, any factor that they can find in your application different schools give different weight. It doesn't say anything about your ability to get into other schools that you didn't get into this one, because they could simply have different weighting systems. The fact that you have interviews with these schools suggests that you DO have the factors they weight more highly and you've already got a foot in the door. Good luck! :) :) :)

It looks like there are acceptances at Amherst on the results page now.  So don't feel too bad.  Like others have said, the school that fits you best will be the one who values all that your application packet has to offer(AKa all you have to offer).  Good luck on your interviews! :)

Hey guys!! Thank you so, so much for your encouraging words and advice. It seriously means a lot to hear that from people who have gone through the same application process (and anxiety). You guys are right - I really shouldn't let one rejection make me feel like I'm going to be rejected by other schools too.

So, about UMass Amherst - when I was looking at the results page (thanks twinguy7 for letting me know that acceptances are showing up there too!), I saw someone writing that they didn't get accepted because they hadn't completed pre-requisites. I haven't finished my pre-reqs either (I'm planning to complete them the summer prior to matriculation), so I went to their website to check... and yes, they do clearly state that they expect "students applying to the MA program in Communication Disorders with a concentration in Speech-Language Pathology will have had an undergraduate background in communication disorders and sciences or will have completed, or be concurrently enrolled, in the prerequisite course work required for admission to the master's program".

DUH!! I can't believe I missed such an important piece of information. Looks like I completely wasted my application fee for a school that I wasn't even qualified to apply to. I guess that's what I get for deciding to apply to an extra program at the very last minute lol.

Of course, that may not be the only reason I was rejected, but like you guys said, I should focus on the positive. I'll stop thinking about that one rejection and try to build up my confidence for the interviews. Thank you soooo much again guys!! Best of luck to you too :)

Edited by shuca

Hey guys!! Thank you so, so much for your encouraging words and advice. It seriously means a lot to hear that from people who have gone through the same application process (and anxiety). You guys are right - I really shouldn't let one rejection make me feel like I'm going to be rejected by other schools too.

So, about UMass Amherst - when I was looking at the results page (thanks twinguy7 for letting me know that acceptances are showing up there too!), I saw someone writing that they didn't get accepted because they hadn't completed pre-requisites. I haven't finished my pre-reqs either (I'm planning to complete them the summer prior to matriculation), so I went to their website to check... and yes, they do clearly state that they expect "students applying to the MA program in Communication Disorders with a concentration in Speech-Language Pathology will have had an undergraduate background in communication disorders and sciences or will have completed, or be concurrently enrolled, in the prerequisite course work required for admission to the master's program".

DUH!! I can't believe I missed such an important piece of information. Looks like I completely wasted my application fee for a school that I wasn't even qualified to apply to. I guess that's what I get for deciding to apply to an extra program at the very last minute lol.

Of course, that may not be the only reason I was rejected, but like you guys said, I should focus on the positive. I'll stop thinking about that one rejection and try to build up my confidence for the interviews. Thank you soooo much again guys!! Best of luck to you too :)

Hi Shuca,

I agree with the previous people who expressed that getting denied at one school is not an indicator of your chances of getting accepted into other schools. I hope you can muster your confidence back up for your two interviews, of which you should already be very proud! I don't know if this will be useful to you (or anyone else who has an interview lined up), but maybe check out Amy Cuddy's TED talk on body language, if you haven't seen it yet. In a past interview I had (not school-related), I used the "power posing" techniques she talks about and found them to be helpful in boosting my confidence. Pretty interesting stuff! :)

Also, I wanted to address the information you cited from UMass Amherst's website: 

"students applying to the MA program in Communication Disorders with a concentration in Speech-Language Pathology will have had an undergraduate background in communication disorders and sciences or will have completed, or be concurrently enrolled, in the prerequisite course work required for admission to the master's program." 

This actually does mean that you were qualified to apply, and that you didn't waste your time. I was also an applicant to UMass Amherst for Fall 2014 and verified the meaning of this exact wording with the Graduate Program Director before I applied, just to be sure. I indicated that I was a prospective out-of-field applicant and was looking to apply to programs that would allow me to complete the prerequisite courses as a master's student (as opposed to a post-bacc student). She replied: 

"We do occasionally admit very highly qualified applicants into the M.A. program without the prerequisite coursework, with the understanding that the first year in the program would be devoted to completing these courses. Individuals accepted this way have GPAs that are very high (3.8 and above) and very strong GRE scores. This is a non-conditional admission, meaning that there is no need to re-apply after the first year."

With regard to rejection notifications seeming to have gone out before acceptance notifications, I received an acceptance e-mail from the Graduate Program Director yesterday early afternoon and a notification in my e-mail late last night that the status of my application had changed. I didn't post this in the "Results" section, though. In any case, I just wanted to clarify the wording from the website in case anyone else may be wondering about it.

Good luck with your interviews, and check out the TED video if it interests you!
Edited by Green Dino

Either way, Shuca, even with what Green Dino's saying it sounds like while your app wasn't a complete waste, it would definitely have been significantly harder to get in there because the bar is set so much higher for students without prereqs. It's not you, it's the lack of prereqs that really made this hard on you and you need to remember that.

autismadvocate

Thank you! Yeah, I’m trying not to let that bother me anymore. My background is actually pretty unique (which I am not able to share here because it would make it too easy to identify who I am) and I have a feeling schools will either love it or hate it when they see that in my application. I decided I’m going to think UMass Amherst fell in the latter group, and if that were the case, it wouldn’t have been a good fit for me anyway.

By the way, it’s people like you who make me think, “if this person doesn’t get accepted to SLP programs, then WHO would?” I mean, we don’t even know each other in person but the fact that you are willing to go out of your way to bring other applicants’ spirits up and offer advice shows that you are a compassionate person. And you do it so well, too! I don’t know how you do it - especially on forums like this - because people can sometimes sound cold or superficial in written language, you know?

Anyhow, I know you don’t need me to tell you that, but I really hope you’ll get to study at your dream school and become an awesome SLP. I know your future clients will be happy to have you.

Green Dino

Thank you for the clarification!! Glad you mentioned that because I wouldn’t want to mislead others here (especially those who are applying for Fall 2015). Thanks also for sharing the video - I just watched it and it was phenomenal!!! I’m not gonna lie - I got a little teary eyed towards the end because I can surely identify with the feeling of “being powerless”. I’ll remember the advice and try to show who I am at the interviews! :)

@Shuca: Hooray! I'm really glad you enjoyed the video :D Like you, I got pretty emotional while watching the end of it too, and I definitely identify with the feeling of powerlessness as well. I really hope you shine at your interviews. And don't forget to smile!!

@autismadvocate: What Shuca said! I've been reading posts on this forum for a while (but have been a bit too shy to post until now, and--like Shuca--unable to share the details of my background because I'd be easily identifiable), and I've been so so impressed by your encouraging words to others, even despite not receiving this kind of encouragement from your own family. (My dad sounds like your dad, by the way!)

I wish you both and everyone else on here the best of luck. I'm quietly rooting for you all! :)

Edited by Green Dino

Oh, you guys are so sweet! I'm glad I can help, really and what you guys said makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :) :) :)

Green Dino, sorry about your dad - as you read, I can relate. It's very hard not to internalize messages like that and that's the reason I struggle with application anxiety so much. I made the mistake at one point in the application process of telling my dad how nervous I was because one of my transcripts wasn't showing up for a school. He told me that I had to drop everything, skip my work (which means I'd be leaving an autistic five year old stranded at school), and drive to the school to talk to them in person about the problem as opposed to over the phone. He was convinced that if I didn't do that, I had no hope of getting admitted to the school. (The transcript situation turned out just fine, btw.) Now I just don't talk to him about application stuff unless I have news that I think will put him at ease. I think that's the best solution.

I'm ridiculously easily identifable from what I post. Not only do I give my stats, but I also give my own website, so it's pretty impossible to confuse me with someone else. My solution is just not to post anything I'd be concerned about schools reading. (which in my case basically entails any preference as to which of the schools I want to go to). That way I can be quite open about my stats, if any schools happened to be looking for whatever reason they can get to know what type of person I am, and I haven't hurt the chances of my application's success. Dunno if you guys would be comfortable with it, but just a thought. :)

I've always thought that you guys have been doing a wonderful job creating a supportive and helpful community here, and I'm glad to be a small part of it now. :)

Autismadvocate, the more you talk about your dad, the more he seems like mine (and my mom, too)! I am totally familiar with the irrational imaginings and unreasonable advice. I'll trade you a story of my own :) When I was a senior in high school, my dad forced me to apply early decision to a school he had picked out for me (which I happened to be fine with, but which wasn't my top choice), because he was convinced it was the only "good" school I had a chance of getting into. Then, when I was a senior in college, I informed him of my decision to apply to graduate school, and that I'd be applying to four programs I had already picked out. He thought I was crazy and told me I needed to apply to at least ten schools if I wanted a chance of getting into even one. Now, years later, I'm on my way to switching careers, with no encouragement from my parents, who think I should just stick to working, settle down, get married, have kids, etc. I did not tell them I got an acceptance from Amherst yesterday because there would be no reason for them to be happy for me, and I'd have to defend my decision of going back to school once again. :/

About the identifying stats and info, what you said makes complete sense. But in my case, I'm concerned about certain individuals, as opposed to schools, finding out more than I'd like them to. It's tricky. Thank you for the thought, though, and for always trying to be helpful and positive! :)

I thought the same about this community when I joined only a few months ago, actually. (I have no idea how I've managed to rack up so many posts in such a short time!) A long ago in a galaxy far far away, I was rolling the idea over in my head about checking into a different professional degree. I visited the top forum for said degree and WOW. People were just nasty! It was a very cut-throat environment, and while some people thrive in that sort of environment, I certainly don't. I think I posted a grand total of twice there because people were so mean. I was kind of nervous about coming here for that reason, even though that last forum experience was ages ago, but I've been happy to find that everyone here is really supportive and nice. I think part of it is the profession we want to go into. It's a helping profession, so I think it tends to draw more compassionate people. Either way, I also really love the environment of this forum. :)

Tell you what, since you can't get the reaction you deserve from your parents, I'll give it to you here. *blows party favor horn* CONGRATULATIONS GREEN DINO!!!!! GREAT JOB!!!! :D :D :D I know it took a lot to get into Amherst and you put a lot into your application, and it's great that you got in!!!! :) :) :) *does a happy dance* :D :D :D

We're all here cheering for your acceptance and wishing you luck with all of your other schools!

@Autismadvocate: Thank you so much for the personal congratulations!! It is really incredible to receive such sincere support from a stranger. Thank you! :) :) :) Oh, and Elf is one of my favorite movies OF ALL TIME!!! 

@ImpulsiveNixie: Great share! There is so much helpful information out there. Thank you for passing it on. I already feel like I'm gonna live longer! :D

Hope you guys on here all know you're amazing! :):P

Thanks! Back atcha! Also, wow, that was pure luck that I found an Elf clip, then! :)

While we're sharing TED talks, here's one of my own personal favorites. Unsurprisingly, coming from me, it's about autism. Ignore what she accidentally implies about autism and love at the end. She tries to dodge the questions but her lack of social skills kind of shows through there in her response, but basically the answer is, you can't tell someone if their child loves them without knowing the situation, no matter whether the child is neurotypical or autistic. But are people with autism capable of love? Heck yes. Just as much as anyone else is:

Edited by autismadvocate