Where are you attending?

katethekitcat

I will be attending the University of Toronto.  Despite the fact that I will have an hour's commute each way (my husband and I own a home and aren't about to move anytime soon, especially not to Toronto, where housing is ridiculously expensive).  So, why Toronto?  The MPH in Community Nutrition includes a dietetic internship, so I will be eligible to write the CDRE and become a registered dietitian after I complete the program.  Additionally, as I hope to work in public health or community nutrition, UofT's program matches my interests. 

Other reasons why UofT:  I won't have to do any foodservice internship placements - all the foodservice competencies for an entry level dietitian are met through coursework and labs.  Additionally, all but 6 weeks of the internship placements are in community nutrition and public health, with those 6 weeks devoted to clinical nutrition.  This is perfect for me - I get a touch of clinical nutrition, just enough to fulfill the entry level competencies.  I have no desire to work in a clinical or hospital setting as a registered dietitian, so although I would endure the 16+ weeks in clinical dietetics that are part of standard internships (had I not been accepted to Toronto), I'm glad I don't have to.

At UofT I'll also have the opportunity to take research electives and/or research practica, which will allow me to explore my research interests, without having to commit to a full thesis.

So basically, UofT is the perfect program for me.  If I was going to design my own MPH program in community nutrition, it would look just like UofT's!  The only downside is the commute.

SUNY Albany Environmental & Occupational Health PhD.

Offered amazing graduate assistant research opportunity (persistent organics and cognitive decline in aging cohort... includes data collection) and full funding. So stoked/grateful.

Congrats to everyone and good luck in your careers!

I'll be attending Harvard's PhD in Health Policy (ESS Track).  It was a hard decision between them and the Johns Hopkins PhD program in Health Services Research and Policy.

Slightly better financial offer + great interdisciplinary program + fantastic location for health policy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone !

I have enrolled myself in GWU at MISPH in the Epidemiology and Biostatistics Department. Though I turned down two other great and better ranked schools where I was getting almost 50% scholarship in a Master's degree, and the three other schools where I got the admission and lesser scholarship. I hope I made the right decision with GW where I havn't received any financial assistance yet.

Preparing for my I-20 and later visa application in India. 

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks !

I'll be attending Johns Hopkins for their MHS in clinical and cardiovascular disease epidemiology. Finally this application cycle and journey is over. Good luck to everyone at their respective schools!

I was deciding between UofM and JHSPH and at the end it came down to which school offers a greater depth and breadth of resources, name recognition and the fact that I went to UofM for undergrad and how I needed to explore new places. Money was roughly similar at both schools, in fact JHU might end up being slightly cheaper. Also utilizing some of the resources offered at Johns Hopkins Hospital was a major push for me as well.

Edited by NeurosciMRI

Anyone have any experience or any knowledge about Virignia Commonwealth University's mph program?  I am from Virginia and the program at VCU seems to be the best in state option.  However, I have also been accepted to the University of Pittsburgh and Boston University but the idea of out of state tuition for these schools has me completely freaked out.

Guess I am looking for further assurance that the program does not matter as much as what you do in the program.. and does not matter so much to put yourself in the stress of going into hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt once you consider tuition, additional fees, and living costs!

I'm in the same boat, got accepted to BU (my dream school), but tuition and living expenses is scaring me away. I'm waiting to hear back about my full financial aid package, what I've received thus far isn't enough to make it worth it. 

Hello Everyone !

I have enrolled myself in GWU at MISPH in the Epidemiology and Biostatistics Department. Though I turned down two other great and better ranked schools where I was getting almost 50% scholarship in a Master's degree, and the three other schools where I got the admission and lesser scholarship. I hope I made the right decision with GW where I havn't received any financial assistance yet.

Preparing for my I-20 and later visa application in India. 

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks !

Oh man, "MISPH" totally threw me off! I had no idead they'd changed their name. I got into the same dept (for the MS in Public Health Micro & Emerging ID), but am forgoing GWU for a slightly better opportunity at Hopkins. GWU's tuition is just a bit too much for me, especially on top of DC's crazy cost of living. Good luck with your visa application! I'll be in the same boat over in Myanmar. :)

----

I'll be enrolling at Johns Hopkins for a (hopefully accelerated) MSPH-PhD degree in International Health (GDEC concentration). I'll be at the admitted students open house this Friday, so feel free to PM me if you're going as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Just when I almost gave up hope, I heard back early Apr from one of my top choices and had to make a super tough decision within about a week... in the end I selected the best fit overall and I'll be heading to Berkeley this fall!! :)

I finally mailed in my acceptance materials to UC Denver (Anschutz med campus for Global Health/Maternal and Child Health) today and OF COURSE today is the day I finally hear back from USC with an acceptance to their Global Health Leadership MPH. But I was leaning way more towards Denver, just wanted to go to USC because my sister lives in LA, but I liked Denver's program more, I liked the location and cost of living. More my scene than LA, I think.

I've decided to attend Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL) for Global Health MPH! Taking everything into consideration (specifically finances), I saw it as the best fit for me. It was hard to let go of BU, but I feel WashU will be more beneficial. Getting excited! 

I said goodbye to Emory today. It wasn't a good fit, I wasn't thrilled about the price, and the location was only a small plus compared to those two behemoth negatives. It still hurt to say no to a top notch program like Emory though. #firstworldacademicproblems

Now that we're actually all attending graduate school: If anyone is interested in continuing to chat over the next few years, and hopefully network, please feel free to PM me your e-mail address, and I'll send you mine. There's so many of us headed to such a diversity of public health programs, it seems like it would be only beneficial to maintain contacts with one another and keep exchanging news about programs, try to meet up at conferences, etc. Two years down the road, we'll probably be each others' best resources for PhD programs as well!

Public health networking for the win.