NYC Programs

Jjjjjbird

Got word from all my schools: In at NYU, Hunter, and Fordham.  Out at Columbia.

Fordham has been great with the communication, I've spoken/emailed extensivly with the faculty, and taken a tour of the campus.

Hunter? lol...I've called and left messages repeatedly, emailed them four times, and even went up to the campus twice to try to talk to someone...they wouldn't let me upstairs to talk to someone because "I didn't have an appointment".

But it hasn't been for lack of trying.

I know Hunter is cheap.  Hell, they may not have the facilities to have somone on staff to accomodate walk-ins.  But I'm getttign fed up with their lack of communication.  I'm concerned it'll be just as bad once I begin classes there.

I just received word about NYU, so I don't have much to say about them.

I hear a bulk of acceptence emails for NYU are going out this week, so good luck for those still wating.

Got word from all my schools: In at NYU, Hunter, and Fordham.  Out at Columbia.

Fordham has been great with the communication, I've spoken/emailed extensivly with the faculty, and taken a tour of the campus.

Hunter? lol...I've called and left messages repeatedly, emailed them four times, and even went up to the campus twice to try to talk to someone...they wouldn't let me upstairs to talk to someone because "I didn't have an appointment".

But it hasn't been for lack of trying.

I know Hunter is cheap.  Hell, they may not have the facilities to have somone on staff to accomodate walk-ins.  But I'm getttign fed up with their lack of communication.  I'm concerned it'll be just as bad once I begin classes there.

I just received word about NYU, so I don't have much to say about them.

I hear a bulk of acceptence emails for NYU are going out this week, so good luck for those still wating.

Congrats on NYU!!

In agreement, except I'm stuck on Columbia and didn't apply to NYU. I'm still waiting for any communication re: my interview at Hunter and I've pretty much decided I'm going to reject it anyway... if it ever comes, lol. Hunter isn't much cheaper for me (as an out-of-state student) than Fordham, and the disorganization makes it less appealing. I agree that Fordham has been wonderful however, I had a great talk with a lady in the FinAid department this morning. Sadly, I won't get to tour before deciding, what did you think on your visit?

Edited by ssllove

The campus is in a great area, close to Central Park and Lincoln Center, and both appeal to me.  Almost all of the MSW classes take place on one floor; it felt like a community there, for sure.  The undergrad business and arts schools occupy some of the other floors....I'm not super excited about being around undergrads, but they seemed fine haha.  Overall everyone seemed very welcoming though.

I was accepted into Fordham, Hunter and Case Western ( a non NYC school) I really can't decide where to go. Aside from price which  i know Hunter is the cheapest, which way i should lean?

I need to decided by Tuesday about Hunter

thanks

I was accepted into Fordham, Hunter and Case Western ( a non NYC school) I really can't decide where to go. Aside from price which  i know Hunter is the cheapest, which way i should lean?

I need to decided by Tuesday about Hunter

thanks

What's your desired practice area?

I have a friend who's graduating from the MSW program at Fordham this spring. I asked her what she thought of the program, and all she really said was, "If I could do it over again, I would have gone to Hunter because of the money." I asked her to elaborate a little, but she wasn't really enthusiastic about the program, and judging by her facebook status', she's been pretty frustrated over the last year. Having been through graduate school once myself, and having loved my program, I know this is definitely not the way that I talk when trying to recommend it to someone. So, after talking to her, and reading about a few other peoples' experiences at Fordham, it shot way down on my list. It was, once upon a time, in my #1 spot.

I personally have a serious hatred for the CUNY system (I went there for a brief time in undergrad). Their whole organizational system is behind the times and insanely difficult to navigate. Their administration isn't stellar, and the red tape is abundant. However, for the price, I may suggest that some people deal with all of the headaches.

I personally have a serious hatred for the CUNY system (I went there for a brief time in undergrad). Their whole organizational system is behind the times and insanely difficult to navigate. Their administration isn't stellar, and the red tape is abundant. However, for the price, I may suggest that some people deal with all of the headaches.

^

this.

I went to Baruch undergrad….academics were great, the admin/CUNY system-at-large was fucking atrocious.  

I'm loathing going through it again, but that 25K price tag is looking oh so sweet.  My hope is that once you're past the admin crap, things run smoothly and you get a great education.

Just received a notification via email of my acceptance into NYU's two year program!  :) Very happy, but financial aid will have a lot to do with whether I can attend there. And stiiiiiiilll waiting on Hunter. 

I got into nyu last night! For others who got in did it say in your acceptance email anything about scholarships or is that in a completely different email. Mine did not mention I was eligible but I won't be able to attend if they don't offer me any money. Please lemme know. The website said that your acceptance letter would let you know if you were getting any scholarship...

I recieved a separate email shortly after my acceptance email notifying me of my Silver scholarship. My complete financial aid package still isn't available (a week later) yet. Does anyone know when there should be more information re: funding? I'm eligible for AmeriCorps grant matching (Silver's website says they do this) and there was no info about that. I've emailed and called but no answer of course...I'll be calling again next week.

I recieved a separate email shortly after my acceptance email notifying me of my Silver scholarship. My complete financial aid package still isn't available (a week later) yet. Does anyone know when there should be more information re: funding? I'm eligible for AmeriCorps grant matching (Silver's website says they do this) and there was no info about that. I've emailed and called but no answer of course...I'll be calling again next week.

Please let me know if you hear anything because I am in the same position.

:unsure: While everyone is receiving acceptance letters I am Still waiting because I recently sent mine out.  :rolleyes: I applied to NYU, Fordham, Yeshiva(has anyone heard of them, I have an interview on skype tomorrow) and to a few schools in Florida. I have read all that you guys have gone through in your application process and I hope it not the same for me. I have a 3.72 overrall GPA and a 4.0 in my degree(social work) 

I applied to the advanced standing program at NYU as well as Yeshiva but was only able to apply to the two year program at Fordham because I missed the advanced standing deadline. If anyone has heard of Yeshiva please let me know. I have done research on the school but I don't see much talk about it. Congrats to all those who were accepted.  :D

sseraphin, Yeshiva has a great social work program. I'm guessing the reason no one really talks about it is because it is a Jewish university? I think the student population is a very specific group...not 100% sure, but that would be my guess. If anyone knows differently, please correct me!

I applied there because a friend of mine who lives in New York told me that they have a great masters program. It is a Jewish community and is very selective in the their undergrad however their masters program are open to students with non-Jewish affiliation. I'm beating myself up for not applying to school earlier but I'm from Miami and our application process is different here. 

Has anyone accepted to Hunter as an out-of-state student been offered any kind of financial aid yet?

I applied to NYU and Hunter, thought NYU would be out of my price range but ended up being accepted to both programs and was offered a $12,000/year scholarship at NYU.

Now it looks like the two programs are about equal in price (NYU's even a tiny bit less expensive for me). I'd love to choose Hunter, but not sure how much aid they usually offer out-of-state students.