UConn and March 15th

Mikers86,

I too did not receive word on a particular visiting day. I'm waiting to hear back from a few schools but UConn is definitely competing for my heart. I'm debating driving out and seeing the campus, but if I fall in love it might be hard! 

Agreed. I'm probably going next week or the one following (Duke is this Thursday-Saturday). But UCONN is really throwing students and faculty at me. It's nice to feel wanted.

I am SO jealous of your Duke admit. I'd kill to go there. But yeah, UConn and Tufts are throwing people at me, though I almost feel as if UConn is being more personalized about it. It is exciting to be courted. 

Yeah, UCONN is doing the courting dance with me as well! It's making them my top choice at the moment (not to mention its great fit for my interests plus it's the best funding offer I've gotten). Ps: no official visit, but If you tell them you're visiting, they set up a whole itinerary just for you.

Edited by shortstack51

I feel like they are a better fit but they gave me less funding (in terms of amount and duration) than my other offer. BUT GAH. I loves them both.

You should ask about funding. It may not be what you think it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone who may have visited UConn have any insight to share on the department? I'm on the wait list so I feel kind of weird to schedule a visit unless the wait list turns into an acceptance. Speaking of the wait list, has anyone turned down UConn yet or thinks they might be turning down the offer in the near future? Thanks.

Anyone else wait listed at UConn? They sent me a nice e-mail saying I'm on a selective waiting list! This is pretty amazing because my POI's work is all over my MA thesis and it would be incredible to work with her. Any ideas how the wait list works? Does everyone get wait listed (as opposed to outright rejected) or is the wait list truly selective? Is the wait list organized by specialization?

It would be great if this changed to an acceptance before March 15th so I could get an invite to their open house, but I'm not too optimistic.

I'm also wait listed at UConn! I was told I was on a selective waiting list too, but haven't heard anything since (I received the wait list notification back in february). I have no idea how the wait list works in terms of specialization, but I do know that people have been outwardly rejected, according to the results board (which I'm sure you've also seen!) Also, I'd think the fact that your POI's work is all over your thesis can only work in your favor, since the department would easily be able to see who you'd be likely to work with on your PhD. Wait lists are SO stressful... 

I know a few people aren't getting to UConn until next week, and some people have started declining offers. I don't know how the wait list works, but I just visited and really liked everyone I met and I felt really comfortable there. They also have a women, gender, and sexuality studies certificate you can get concurrently with your PhD, which is great to me. I met a bunch of people in WGSS or queer theory and they were great. Also, they're in the process of in ionizing and funding is for 5 years, not 4, and it's 1-1. If anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask Charles Mahoney- he's very friendly. The whole program is really supportive. Also, feel free to ask me if you want- I visited for a while recently.

Wait 5 years? He told me 6 on the phone...That is worrisome.

It's usually phrased "at least (insert # here)" but there are usually opportunities for more in most departments.

I know a few people aren't getting to UConn until next week, and some people have started declining offers. I don't know how the wait list works, but I just visited and really liked everyone I met and I felt really comfortable there. They also have a women, gender, and sexuality studies certificate you can get concurrently with your PhD, which is great to me. I met a bunch of people in WGSS or queer theory and they were great. Also, they're in the process of in ionizing and funding is for 5 years, not 4, and it's 1-1. If anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask Charles Mahoney- he's very friendly. The whole program is really supportive. Also, feel free to ask me if you want- I visited for a while recently.

Did you mean unionizing?

That sounds fun! Do you know who you'll be meeting with from the program?

Let me know how it goes :) we might be in the same cohort (depending on what we all end up deciding to do!)

So, I'm meeting with Jean Marsden, doing lunch, seminar on digital materiality with Fiona Somerset, meeting with her after, meeting with Dwight Codr, then Charles Mahoney. And then drinking with a good friend who came out of my program last year and is there currently.

No, I won't be exhausted. At all.

Shortstack51, I'm not sure you'd have any way of knowing (and you said you don't know how the wait list works), but did anyone in the department mention how many people they typically admit from the wait list? Being in limbo makes me antsy.

Anyway, glad to hear that the department seems like a great place! 

Shortstack51, I'm not sure you'd have any way of knowing (and you said you don't know how the wait list works), but did anyone in the department mention how many people they typically admit from the wait list? Being in limbo makes me antsy.

Anyway, glad to hear that the department seems like a great place!

I actually have no idea. On the results board I recall one or two getting in off the wait list each year, which probably means 2-3 in total.